Softball Baylor

GrandGreen

NT beats Liberty 1-0 in the second game (they lost to Liberty 1-0 yesterday). Both wins came with runs by NT in their last at bat. Baylor beat NW State 4-3 this evening (same score NT beat the Demons by in the first game of the tournament) to set up the championship game tomorrow at noon.

Strong pitching by Elder and Underwood in both games today.

GMG

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

North Texas Sweeps To Championship Of Getterman Classic

http://m.meangreensports.com/m/sports/w-softbl/recaps/022016aac.html

Beating two ranked teams in a week.  That's a nice start for a team that replaced all but 4 girls from the year before.

Rick

Your support after the  mass exodus was a lot better than mine.  Although I would have to liked to have the veterans return, they are off to a great start.  

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Anyone still concerned about the girls leaving last year etc?

Rick

Sure, that is concerning. Last year they got a big early season win over Baylor before the team went into a tail spin.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself and whatever Kee had going on in the past stays there. It would be fun to cheer for some winning teams around here again.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see Freshman Lauren Craine get her first win. Coach Kee appears to be easing her into action now, after a challenging first tournament. But Craine worked a clean inning late in the first game against Liberty. She then picks up the win against Baylor, giving up a run and two hits over 3 1/3 innings. Team moves to 6-4 with four wins in the tournament. 

First home games Feb 27-28, playing two each against Sam Houston and Creighton.

GMG

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Sure, that is concerning. Last year they got a big early season win over Baylor before the team went into a tail spin.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself and whatever Kee had going on in the past stays there. It would be fun to cheer for some winning teams around here again.

Well then keep on worrying then.   They not only knocked off Baylor this year, but they've done it twice in two days now.  

And like I predicted last year and Scott hinted at above,...Lauren Craine is just getting started and could very well be the answer.  We shall see.

Rick  

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Nice to see Freshman Lauren Craine get her first win. Coach Kee appears to be easing her into action now, after a challenging first tournament. But Craine worked a clean inning late in the first game against Liberty. She then picks up the win against Baylor, giving up a run and two hits over 3 1/3 innings. Team moves to 6-4 with four wins in the tournament. 

First home games Feb 27-28, playing two each against Sam Houston and Creighton.

GMG

Maybe walk over to the field to watch the softball instead of the bball after out GMG bball game

• Upvote 2

Just looking from afar, I wonder if Coach Kee has regrets about throwing Monique Garcia into the fire a little too much last year and is adapting with Craine.

It helps that Elder and Underwood have held their own pretty well. I am impressed with how Craine responded this weekend with both her appearances late in tight games.

It appears Monique Garcia gave up softball and is a Manager with Tyler JC this season, by the way.

GMG

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Just looking from afar, I wonder if Coach Kee has regrets about throwing Monique Garcia into the fire a little too much last year and is adapting with Craine.

It helps that Elder and Underwood have held their own pretty well. I am impressed with how Craine responded this weekend with both her appearances late in tight games.

It appears Monique Garcia gave up softball and is a Manager with Tyler JC this season, by the way.

GMG

Good question.  

Craine is a fly ball pitcher.  Though she can be dominant she works fast and gets outs by letting the defense make the outs for her. That's exactly what she did to Baylor this weekend.  To me this frees up some of the pressure for pitchers like her.  Garcia was a one girl show in HS and I think never got used to getting hit and got discouraged quickly.  But I hope your right in that Coach Kee has a solid plan for working her in in time.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That makes a lot of sense, Rick. I noticed from the stat sheets that Craine was getting a higher number of fly outs, compared to the other pitchers (small n, but a trend). The defense has some work to do (pitchers only gave up 11 earned runs all weekend, 17 overall) but this is a young team and they overcame with a lot of clutch two out at bats. 

Also good to see the pitchers only gave up 5 BB's in 38 innings of work this weekend. 

GMG

BTW, I'm impressed with the patience we are showing at the plate too.  Baylor has some solid arms in the ring and we held our own against them.

The pitcher that took the loss yesterday, Kelsee Silman, was an All American LSU signee out of 3A (Lufkin TX) Hudson HS in 2013.  She went 6-3 her freshman season and went 9-0 with a 1.47 era for them last year, then transferred to Baylor.  She was having a solid game yesterday holding us to 2 earned runs, then got pulled for Kendall Potts, who then gave up the lead in the 6th and allowed 2 on in the 8th. When Silman came back in she was forced to load the pads with an intentional walk and couldn't get an out giving up the walk-off.

The girl we lit up to tie it in the 6th, 6'1" Kendall Potts, was a two-time Dallas Morning News All Area Team member in 2014 out of Mansfield Legacy.  She went 8-3 with a 2.59 era for the Bears last year.  

Both girls combined to give up 5 runs to us Saturday.

The girl who gave up the loss for Baylor Saturday, 5'9" Senior fire baller Heather Stearns, an ESPN All American out of Carrolton Hebron HS, went 21-13 last year..(49-22 career record at BU).  She was a  First Team All Big12 member and the Big12 Strikeout leader with 239 strikeouts last year.

Those are some big time arms and our bats held their own against them.  

Just gotta keep it up now.   

Rick 

• Upvote 1