Big 12 may expand this summer.....

Coach Bill Lewis

I will start by saying I am not an insider with inside knowledge, but do have an opinion based on past activity. It appears conference expansion is based on 3 main criteria- adding t.v. markets, new recruiting territory and a net positive cash flow as an outcome to justify splitting conference revenue (see A&M to SEC). I have always been of the opinion if UNT or UTSA moves it would be to the AAC. The doubt I have is wether UT, I mean, the B12, would sign off on anyone joining the club for the aforementioned reasons. I doubt that proposition seriously, and if the proverbial snowball doesn't melt, it wouldn't be Cincinnati.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

I will start by saying I am not an insider with inside knowledge, but do have an opinion based on past activity. It appears conference expansion is based on 3 main criteria- adding t.v. markets, new recruiting territory and a net positive cash flow as an outcome to justify splitting conference revenue (see A&M to SEC). I have always been of the opinion if UNT or UTSA moves it would be to the AAC. The doubt I have is wether UT, I mean, the B12, would sign off on anyone joining the club for the aforementioned reasons. I doubt that proposition seriously, and if the proverbial snowball doesn't melt, it wouldn't be Cincinnati.

Sure. Just know nutsack takes above 4 backseats to North Texas in every possible scenario of every facet. You frequent the right board and you've even changed your picture. Now, all that's left to do is change your hot garbage of a screen name. You are light years ahead of your graduating peers, assuming you graduated. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The Big 12 needs to add good football schools to improve their SOS if the schools not named OU want to get Playoff consideration. BYU and Cincinnati would do that. There was a great discussion on the Ticket this morning saying just that. UNT would be a longshot at best for the AAC. SMU already provides the DFW footprint and we bring nothing to the table in regards to a winning tradition or attendance in the revenue sports. The AAC doesn't need UNT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sure. Just know nutsack takes above 4 backseats to North Texas in every possible scenario of every facet. You frequent the right board and you've even changed your picture. Now, all that's left to do is change your hot garbage of a screen name. You are light years ahead of your graduating peers, assuming you graduated. 

I'm half way through my phd (at neither school) and i am a graduate of neither school as I have mentioned in numerous other posts. I doubt my "peers", as you call them, have any interest in UNT or UTSA. My short term goal is to learn as much as possible about how programs are built and run (this site is the best I've found for that) and long term hope for both of my rooting interests is to compete for titles. Regarding UTSA being 4 seats back, idk if that is true or not because I don't know how all that works. But I do know UNT and UTSA both have a long way to go before anyone will seriously consider them in the AAC. I am facinated by the impact of the AD, so RV vs LH is compelling.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 4

Agreed...NT doesn't bring anything to the table. Even though NT has the largest student population/ alumni in the DFW area...no big time money like the two schools to the south. This new coaching staff has its work cut out. Hopefully, they want quit before the sun starts to shine....UNT90 is on track where the problem lies.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

I'm half way through my phd (at neither school) and i am a graduate of neither school as I have mentioned in numerous other posts. I doubt my "peers", as you call them, have any interest in UNT or UTSA. My short term goal is to learn as much as possible about how programs are built and run (this site is the best I've found for that) and long term hope for both of my rooting interests is to compete for titles. Regarding UTSA being 4 seats back, idk if that is true or not because I don't know how all that works. But I do know UNT and UTSA both have a long way to go before anyone will seriously consider them in the AAC. I am facinating by the impact of the AD, so RV vs LH is compelling.

So, I have to ask and you may have answered this previously elsewhere. Where are you a graduate from? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

If I may add another item of particular personal interest, it is the "recruiter will fail at head coach and coordinators/position coaches wouln't" belief.  In addition to UNT & UTSA having the different AD's, they appear to have gone in totally different philosophical directions in building a program. It will be a tremendous year watching this all play out. Ben, if you attend the game in San Antonio let me know- I will purchase a beverage of your choosing.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

All the -1's for simple questions? Sheesh, tough crowd 

Look at all of these -1's and for nada. haha Yooouuu people. 

54 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

If I may add another item of particular personal interest, it is the "recruiter will fail at head coach and coordinators/position coaches wouln't" belief.  In addition to UNT & UTSA having the different AD's, they appear to have gone in totally different philosophical directions in building a program. It will be a tremendous year watching this all play out. Ben, if you attend the game in San Antonio let me know- I will purchase a beverage of your choosing.

I might have to take you up on that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Number one, I don't think the Big XII is really going to expand this summer. Discuss yes, act not yet. 

Number two, for those who are convinced a lot of wins are needed to join the AAC, check out the records the year before the AAC - 2013 - of Tulane, Tulsa and SMU. There's more to it in any conference than merely W-Ls. 

• Upvote 1

I doubt the Big Xii expands, either. The money from expansion gets divided out further, even with a football conference championship game. Texas gets their LHN money--they have zero interest in adding anyone else to the pie, unless OU and KU are about to bolt. That would cause them to listen to OU, finally--unless their end game is to get Big XII money for as long as possible until they go independent or join another P5 league.

But lets say the Big XII does expand--Cincinnati is the most assured member of moving into the conference, just because they give the Big XII an outlet into the northern markets and gives West Virginia a travel partner. Then, I believe the next school to get added is out of the group that delivers a new TV market. That could be BYU, Memphis, USF/UCF, or UConn. It won't be UH--they already own that market and the Big XII members added TCU only because A&M left, just to keep an extra game in Texas.

BYU and Cincy make the most sense to me.

If this occurred, the AAC has an opening. I think NIU would be #1 on their list, followed by Ohio as the #2. If the MAC loses one of them, I think they will go hard after Marshall again or Western Kentucky. CUSA would replace with them either of them with Appy State.

The bigger worry I have is that the MWC will come back to Texas, with Rice and UTEP being bandied about. That would be awful enough for us, if that alone occurred. But what would be absolutely horrific is if those two left to go to the MWC, along with UTSA and La Tech, a team that already played in a conference with a lot of current MWC teams in the old WAC. I mean, sure, we plug in Texas State, Arkansas State, ULL, and NMSU, but that would mean our move to CUSA would essentially then look like this instead:

UNT, Texas State, New Mexico State, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Southern Mississippi, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Alabama-Birmingham, and Appalachian State (assuming they replaced Marshall in the above scenario).

That would be better than the old SBC, but only because we would have another Texas school, albeit the lowest on the FBS Texas totem pole, with us. Basically, when it would all be said and done, we would have traded ULM for Texas State and Troy for Southern Miss, both of which are upgrades from the other two, but it isn't what we thought we would get when we joined CUSA in 2013 that had East Carolina, Tulane, and Tulsa in it, along with Rice, UTEP, UTSA, and La Tech.

If I were at UNT, I'd make it real clear to Rice and UTEP that I want to go with them out west and bring La Tech with us. That would give the MWC the chance to split East and West, giving us La Tech, UTEP, Rice, NMSU, CSU, AFA, and Wyoming as Eastern teams in the MWC, none of which are PST. Play another two teams in the Western Division, getting you to 9 conference games, plus your bodybag game, another home-and home, and bought FCS game. No more east coast games against teams we don't know or care about, or games against southeastern schools that we don't have anything in common with.

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I doubt the Big Xii expands, either. The money from expansion gets divided out further, even with a football conference championship game. Texas gets their LHN money--they have zero interest in adding anyone else to the pie, unless OU and KU are about to bolt. That would cause them to listen to OU, finally--unless their end game is to get Big XII money for as long as possible until they go independent or join another P5 league.

But lets say the Big XII does expand--Cincinnati is the most assured member of moving into the conference, just because they give the Big XII an outlet into the northern markets and gives West Virginia a travel partner. Then, I believe the next school to get added is out of the group that delivers a new TV market. That could be BYU, Memphis, USF/UCF, or UConn. It won't be UH--they already own that market and the Big XII members added TCU only because A&M left, just to keep an extra game in Texas.

BYU and Cincy make the most sense to me.

If this occurred, the AAC has an opening. I think NIU would be #1 on their list, followed by Ohio as the #2. If the MAC loses one of them, I think they will go hard after Marshall again or Western Kentucky. CUSA would replace with them either of them with Appy State.

The bigger worry I have is that the MWC will come back to Texas, with Rice and UTEP being bandied about. That would be awful enough for us, if that alone occurred. But what would be absolutely horrific is if those two left to go to the MWC, along with UTSA and La Tech, a team that already played in a conference with a lot of current MWC teams in the old WAC. I mean, sure, we plug in Texas State, Arkansas State, ULL, and NMSU, but that would mean our move to CUSA would essentially then look like this instead:

UNT, Texas State, New Mexico State, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Southern Mississippi, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Alabama-Birmingham, and Appalachian State (assuming they replaced Marshall in the above scenario).

That would be better than the old SBC, but only because we would have another Texas school, albeit the lowest on the FBS Texas totem pole, with us. Basically, when it would all be said and done, we would have traded ULM for Texas State and Troy for Southern Miss, both of which are upgrades from the other two, but it isn't what we thought we would get when we joined CUSA in 2013 that had East Carolina, Tulane, and Tulsa in it, along with Rice, UTEP, UTSA, and La Tech.

If I were at UNT, I'd make it real clear to Rice and UTEP that I want to go with them out west and bring La Tech with us. That would give the MWC the chance to split East and West, giving us La Tech, UTEP, Rice, NMSU, CSU, AFA, and Wyoming as Eastern teams in the MWC, none of which are PST. Play another two teams in the Western Division, getting you to 9 conference games, plus your bodybag game, another home-and home, and bought FCS game. No more east coast games against teams we don't know or care about, or games against southeastern schools that we don't have anything in common with.

How likely, B12 excluded, would you guess CUSA shuffling is? Is it your opinion that MWC is second choice after AAC?

I see the appeal of adding BYU.  But Cincinnati?  I don't think the Big 12 would be in rush to add any team that is available to move from a G5 conference.  If they were to add a school from the AAC I think they would want Navy or Temple to provide closer travel partners for West Virginia.  Also those 2 schools provide access to a much larger markets than Cincy.   But that is only if the Big 12 leadership is committed to keep West Virginia in the conference long term.