Conference Foes future OOC home schedules

UNT90

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I've heard this narrative that Stephens was forced on RV as well.  My source?  RV of course.  He's told it to several of us and unlike most I don't buy any of it.     As for Dodge, I wonder, was telling him that he couldn't hire any of Dickey's assistants also forced on RV as well?  

Rick

At the time, who would have been a good choice out of his asst. pool to name HC?  No one.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I really appreciate the honesty/candor here.

I have an honest, simple, hypothetical question for you.  It's really a "yes" or "no" question, but you can make your answer as short or as long as you'd like:

If president Smatresk were to fire RV tomorrow, would any of the funding from our big donors such as yourself suddenly be in jeopardy?  Would there be trepidation that a new guy could/would not fulfill RV's current vision for the Athletic Complex?

To give you an idea of where I, and I believe MANY OTHERS, are coming from with our limited amount of knowledge:
1. There is no doubt RV is doing some fantastic things with your help on the old golf course and LCS campus.
2. There is no doubt the results on the gridiron/hardwood have not been good.
3. There seems to be 3 camps as far as opinions on RV:
     a. Retain him and see his vision through.  -  I believe you, other big donors and many others fall in here.
     b. Be skeptical of RV, but stop just short of calling for his firing because "the Devil you know is better than the one you don't".  -  I think this camp is quite a bit larger than many realize.
     c. Fire RV as soon as possible, consequences be damned.  -  I think this one is much smaller than many on gmg.com believe.

Not looking for UNT90 or anyone else to answer for him.

I think you have b&c mixed up a bit. I think there are lots more people that think RV deserves to be sent packing. Most of them aren't very vocal about it and/or are willing to suffer/wait until his contract is closer to expiring. 

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

kjL2DfiE4hIU8.gif

Fire the AD?

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

I think you have b&c mixed up a bit. I think there are lots more people that think RV deserves to be sent packing. Most of them aren't very vocal about it and/or are willing to suffer/wait until his contract is closer to expiring. 

I agree with the B and C being flipped. I think a lot of people used to be scared of replacing RV because of what they may get. Hell, I used to be one of them. But I think this football and basketball season changed a lot of minds. 

A lot of people won't be vocal. A lot will just leave, at least until RV is gone.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

So let's get this straight...

RV was told he couldn't fire Dickey in '01 by Bobby Rey and the BOR after the ULM loss and the team sitting at 0-5.

RV was told he had to hire Dodge in '07.

RV was told he had to hire Stephens in '08.

So at what point do you grow a pair and stand up and demand you either be allowed to do your job..........or leave?  Does this ever cross anyone's mind here?  If your never allowed to do your job why are we paying you $400k a year for?

About a couple of these myths.

1. Dodge was forced on RV because he was the only one we could afford.

......We know this is BS because we know coaches like Don Carthal at D2 West Texas A&M wanted our job and was never contacted.  Just like Danny Kasper wanted our job and come home from SFA to coach his school but told us he never received a return contact,  and we hired Benford instead.  There were other good coaches out there, countless assistants at D1 schools and head coaches at lower level schools with college experience like Mickey Mathews that we certainly could afford.  To claim that we couldn't afford two favorites,  therefore forcing us to to settle on a high school coach is beyond rediculous.  

2.  Stephens was forced on us by Battaille because ( we couldn't afford Donna Capps)

.....Vitto had been blogging about that hire very closely and said the committee was falling all over themselves about Stephens'  "94 feet of Heat" portfolio.  She was the committee's favorite from day one.  But when I asked RV "why not Capps"  he told me we couldn't afford her.  He told others who had asked that she also was supposedly difficult to deal with.  This is all such horse$hit!!!!  Capps had coached two teams to the NCAA's in that hell hole stage at UTA.  She only left because of a disagreement over a mentor and assistant coach she had with their AD there.  She didn't want to leave but was not going to be told how to run her program after all the success she built there..  Her husband is a firefighter in Irving.  She ended up taking a position there in their ISD.  She still wanted to coach and would have easily taken our job.  There's no way in hell I believe she priced herself out of our job. I loved KA and now Jalie but I can only imagine where our girls may be now had she got the job.

Dont fall for this crap people.  Stand up for yourselves and for North Texas and demand accountability from our leadership.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Excuse for every failed hire except Peterson. Not surprised. 

That person has sold you a bill of goods. Look at the record. Look at the MGC numbers, or lack thereof. You are doing ALL the heavy lifting and throwing good money after bad. 

If you truly care about UNT athletics, address the disease, not the symptoms. Otherwise, be prepared to keep replacing coaches every 3 years while attendance continues to sink toward unbelievably horrific numbers.

There is absolutely no need for you to tell me this again.  The disease is apathetic donor base, lack of facilities, and horrible decision making starting with the lack of foresight to retain hayden, continuing with the drop to 1AA etc.  I have attacked this disease with every spare amount of time and effort  and resource that I have.   

Why is the bar higher now?  Because with a group effort including students, donors,  student athletes, etc. We have all set the bar higher, and whether you want to admit it or not, the man that led us from the abyss was rick villarreal 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

There is absolutely no need for you to tell me this again.  The disease is apathetic donor base, lack of facilities, and horrible decision making starting with the lack of foresight to retain hayden, continuing with the drop to 1AA etc.  I have attacked this disease with every spare amount of time and effort  and resource that I have.   

Why is the bar higher now?  Because with a group effort including students, donors,  student athletes, etc. We have all set the bar higher, and whether you want to admit it or not, the man that led us from the abyss was rick villarreal 

This makes me sad.

66-7 to an FBS on homecoming is raising the bar?

1-11 and AGAIN the worst football team in FBS is raising the bar?

Making a terrible hire that deconstructed the basketball program to square one, and refusing to address YOUR mistake for 4 years is raising the bar? 

Having a ticket office that can't perform very basic job duties is raising the bar? 

Lying to the fan base about YOUR mistakes is raising the bar?

Constantly having the worst OOC home games in CUSA is raising the bar?

I could go on and on.

Your post makes me sad for several reasons. It means that you and your manipulated merry men have won the power struggle and RV isn't leaving until he is damn well ready to go. It also affirms that you care way more about Rick Villarreal than you do about UNT or the student athletes that attend. 

I'll leave you with one last question. What would it take for you to want Rick Villarreal terminated? Would 0-12 this year in football do it? 

Would anything?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

37 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

About a couple of these myths.

1. Dodge was forced on RV because he was the only one we could afford.

......We know this is BS because we know coaches like Don Carthal at D2 West Texas A&M wanted our job and was never contacted.  Just like Danny Kasper wanted our job and come home from SFA to coach his school but told us he never received a return contact,  and we hired Benford instead.  There were other good coaches out there, countless assistants at D1 schools and head coaches at lower level schools with college experience like Mickey Mathews that we certainly could afford.  To claim that we couldn't afford two favorites,  therefore forcing us to to settle on a high school coach is beyond rediculous.  

The thing is, would Dr. Battlie have agreed to a coach from a D2 school out in West Texas over the "Greatest Coach in Texas High School," especially when a huge complaint was we didn't have the HS connections to recruit well. I can assure you Dodge resulted in far more press for the University - locally, state-wide and nationally - than Carthal would have and everyone in the University Administration knew this. I can easily believe once Dodge was a candidate in a price range we could get that the folks above RV would have pushed that direction. 

I don't have any idea about the other parts, but I can easily see how the Dodge decision was made. At North Texas, the head football coach has never just been the decision of the athletic director.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

The thing is, would Dr. Battlie have agreed to a coach from a D2 school out in West Texas over the "Greatest Coach in Texas High School," especially when a huge complaint was we didn't have the HS connections to recruit well. I can assure you Dodge resulted in far more press for the University - locally, state-wide and nationally - than Carthal would have and everyone in the University Administration knew this. I can easily believe once Dodge was a candidate in a price range we could get that the folks above RV would have pushed that direction. 

I don't have any idea about the other parts, but I can easily see how the Dodge decision was made. At North Texas, the head football coach has never just been the decision of the athletic director.  

If Rick Villarreal can't persuade the university president to hire the candidate he wants, he isn't doing his job. He is just going along to get along and keep his job, which he has for 15 very long years. 

You think that's a coincidence? Do you want someone more concerned with keeping their job than doing their job?

And why do you think no one else has come a calling for Fly's great resurrector of UNT athletics? 

No one.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

51 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Well, you could be correct but  I don't believe much about what we're told these days from this AD.   

But ask yourself this.  

Again,....

ASK YOURSELF THIS.....

If any of those stories were true,.... that Battaille forced Dodge and Stephens on RV, then why do both only come out AFTER Dodge and Stephens fail? 

If Battaille forced Dodge and Stephens on RV, especially after not being allowed to fire Dickey when he wanted to 6 years earlier, why didn't anyone hear about it immediately after it happened?  I heard the Bobby Rey story well within a week after the ULM loss.    

Had this happened with Dodge and Stephens we would have heard about it, I promise you we would have because the same people defending him now would have defended him about it then as soon as it happened.    

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

You're mixing two problems into one.  Scheduling lower division schools (especially good ones) is one thing.  Getting beat by them is an entirely different problem. 

No. I didn't mix two problems into one. They were mixed into one by our leadership. I'm simply pointing out the natural cause and effect of some bad decisions. Because Mac wasn't able to develop our program, and the athletic department scheduled a strong FCS program for our homecoming, the result was a historic embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

No. I didn't mix two problems into one. They were mixed into one by our leadership. I'm simply pointing out the natural cause and effect of some bad decisions. Because Mac wasn't able to develop our program, and the athletic department scheduled a strong FCS program for our homecoming, the result was a historic embarrassment.

Replace "pirate" with "team."tumblr_lq23p3ln1B1qe0yp3o1_500.jpg

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I seriously wonder how many fringe supporters these two have run off during this multi year temper tantrum they are throwing.

Multi year? But you only have 8 posts?

What is your other account name?

lol.

10 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Well, you could be correct but  I don't believe much about what we're told these days from this AD.   

But ask yourself this.  

Again,....

ASK YOURSELF THIS.....

If any of those stories were true,.... that Battaille forced Dodge and Stephens on RV, then why do both only come out AFTER Dodge and Stephens fail? 

If Battaille forced Dodge and Stephens on RV, especially after not being allowed to fire Dickey when he wanted to 6 years earlier, why didn't anyone hear about it immediately after it happened?  I heard the Bobby Rey story well within a week after the ULM loss.    

Had this happened with Dodge and Stephens we would have heard about it, I promise you we would have because the same people defending him now would have defended him about it then as soon as it happened.    

Rick

Because RV needs an excuse. Just like the Tulsa lie. And he has friends who will perpetuate those excuses for him. Loud and long. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

You didn't know Battaille forced Tulsa to leave us our terrible schedule?  She also brought the Zika virus to Houston too, don't you know.

Rick

I thinks it's sad that people like Fly can't see how people no longer here are scapegoated for all the problems and responsibilities of a failed AD. 

Its really easy to do, as they have moved along and really could care less about the dysfunctional going ons of the UNT athletic department. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

10 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

And I could care less about you, or fire hat jesus.   To coin a phrase, you guys are "all hat, no cattle "

Regardless of who is coach, President,  a.d. governor,  I will show up and support the University.

Flame on flamers.

It's all a joke,  really

It sure is.

Portland St. 66. UNT 7 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

If RV continues to lose?  To my knowledge, Rick Villarreal has not coached a game in his career at North Texas.   Which large donor have you talked to that likes to lose?

RV's hires could go 0-359 and you wouldn't hold him responsible...

I do find it interesting that this is the thread in which you choose to suddenly become active. A thread that proves just about everyone else in conference is better at scheduling football games than your little buddy. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8