Conference Foes future OOC home schedules

UNT90

I can't quote you since you are on ignore.  Unfortunately, I still have to see half your posts due to people quoting you.  Since you are so curious, for the last couple thousand posts I went by greenit.  For a thousand or so before that it was curveitaround.  Before that, you don't need to know.  Suffice to say I have been around long enough to know that you have a grudge against RV because he talked you into 2 club seats and now you have buyer's remorse and FFR has a personal grudge because they replaced the motor in the Model A with an electric version.

For the record, I am fine if RV goes.  I am also ok if he stays if he continues raising enough money to hire guys like Littrell AND raise enough money to fire guys like Mac and hopefully soon the MBB coach.  Just like the coaches, whoever is in charge of running the ticket office, selling MGC memberships, marketing, etc.. have no excuse for not putting out a quality product.  I don't expect the AD to do it all himself, but I do expect him to hold the people who are responsible, accountable.

Carry on being miserable.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I can't quote you since you are on ignore.  Unfortunately, I still have to see half your posts due to people quoting you.  Since you are so curious, for the last couple thousand posts I went by greenit.  For a thousand or so before that it was curveitaround.  Before that, you don't need to know.  Suffice to say I have been around long enough to know that you have a grudge against RV because he talked you into 2 club seats and now you have buyer's remorse and FFR has a personal grudge because they replaced the motor in the Model A with an electric version.

For the record, I am fine if RV goes.  I am also ok if he stays if he continues raising enough money to hire guys like Littrell AND raise enough money to fire guys like Mac and hopefully soon the MBB coach.  Just like the coaches, whoever is in charge of running the ticket office, selling MGC memberships, marketing, etc.. have no excuse for not putting out a quality product.  I don't expect the AD to do it all himself, but I do expect him to hold the people who are responsible, accountable.

Lol. That's what I figured. Guess you are tired of trying to be me, eh? 

Littrell hasn't won a game yet. You have no idea if he will be successful or not. 

And it's great to say you want all that to happen, but it hasn't for the last 10 years. What makes you think it will change with an AD simply hanging on to get to a 20 year retirement check?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I know your just making a funny here, but in case you didn't know the university corrected that wrong done to the Model A.  It's a sweet ride now.  I'm hoping the school simply uses it and shows it off more now.

BTW...how do you get away with changing your name so often?  Moderators do that for you?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I don't understand why so many have such a hard time with this concept. Until recently, NT had poor facilities, low coaching salaries, was in several terrible conferences and used a deadly football schedule to pay for what little it did. Over the past 15 years, ONE AT A TIME, these things have been fixed or at the very least significantly upgraded. Yes, there are still improvements to be made, but every single one of those items is now better than it was 15 years ago. 

It has taken a long, long, LONG time to get rid of the various reasons that some call excuses. But the University of Texas has proven that even with the best of facilities, virtually unlimited coaching budgets and other advantages it still takes a while to build winning teams. Calling every reason something doesn't happen an "excuse" doesn't fix any problems, it merely attempts to assign blame and assigning blame has never done anything to actually fix a problem. It's just worthless whining. 

NT has now fixed the reasons winning was such an uphill battle and now it is time to produce. Last season when it was obvious the football coach wasn't going to be able to produce - not just for a single season or two as EVERY COACH IN THE WORLD HAS SOME DOWN SEASONS - he was fired. I don't know, but I suspect our basketball coach needs to improve this season or he will be gone. 

It has take time to get here, but now it really does come down to the wins and losses. 

All very nice but a the end of the day this program isn't winning, it isn't even mediocre.  Every G5 level program has challenges and many do not have the resources, and history   UNT has.  When RV arrived UNT was (with all the challenges) was in the middle of a 4 year conference championship run.   Nothing close has happened since.  We have a had  sustain run of garbage with one magical year.   I fear that once these donor have finally had enough the program will be way too far gone to ever be an upper level G5 program.   We revenue going down they may not have the money to hire a coach talented enough to reverse the course of the program.   I am amazed that Seth was interested in the position.  If I were in his position I would have waited for another opportunity.  The facilities are better you have a  stadium that holds 30k  so you can't attract out of conference opponents fans want to see.  So you don't sellout the 30k and potential attractive opponents look at those numbers and say no thank you to a home and home series.  At this point I think the whole endeavor is not worth me sacrificing my $500 to $ 1,000 for season tickets.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The "he was forced to do it" defense, in my opinion is worse than the I just make the wrong call explanation.   Seems to be the scheme here, that any bad decision made by RV was forced on him because he just couldn't master up the skills or courage to present his own case.   While everything that is successful was due to the skill and great work of RV.  

IMO, you can't have it both ways, you are either responsible for everything that happens under your watch or not.  Taking credit for the new facilities, CUSA, Jones hire and then blaming bad hires on administration pressure and poor attendance on the NT culture just should not work.     

There are not managers at any level that don't compromise decisions based on feedback from up above, however very few get by with blaming their bosses when the results are bad.  

By the way, does anyone think that an AD no matter what anyone on the BOR thinks; should have let DD bad mouth the school and in doing so ruin his own program.  I can believe that  Dr. Bataille wanted a woman minority coach, but I highly doubt she dictated it would be Shanice and a good AD could not have guided her to a better choice.  As for Dodge, there are few ADs in the nation under any kind of pressure that would have risk their careers hiring a non-experienced high school coach and none that would have allowed basically a high school staff be hired.  

I have not researched it but I would be amazed if there is any D1 AD in the nation that has been employed for 15 years with the very limited success of RV.   Only here at NT with probably the combined worst FB and MBB programs in the country would an AD survive based on his relationship with a very few select donors.   

I agree with prettu much everything, except the bolded part. For ADs and head coaches the best job security is a winning program. The second best is close ties to the big money donors. That's true everywhere, the difference between UNT and other places is the number of big donors is smaller so  you don't need as many to like you on a personal level. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

I agree with prettu much everything, except the bolded part. For ADs and head coaches the best job security is a winning program. The second best is close ties to the big money donors. That's true everywhere, the difference between UNT and other places is the number of big donors is smaller so  you don't need as many to like you on a personal level. 

I agree that almost every program has a group of very influential donors that at least attempt to call the shots.  The big difference is in most instances, these donors are feared by the AD not protected by them.  They are the ones that make an AD's life difficult by second guessing and usurping the AD's authority.   They often take the lead in changing regimes when results are under their standards.  

At NT, these super donors are really a new breed.  They have heavily invested in the program relatively recent, and apparently are willing to give RV more time to turn things around. I doubt if all agree on RV's performance and if things don't improve they will demand more.   

Now, NT has a situation were the majority of fans want change based on a 15 year evaluation, not more of the same.  It is interesting that NT has fired two presidents during that 15 years period, but protect an AD which at the very best has very mixed results.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Stan R said:

I see you post this often.  What exactly do you mean by that comment? That could be taken several different ways.

He's referring to the people not in the "know." When the joke is quite frankly on him and the people shoveling big money to this failure of an athletic department. I thank them for what they do and I will continue to thank them when I happen to come in contact with them either on here or in person. But the joke is not on us, the commoners. 

This athletic department is being ran like bad political campaign. Big donors donating to the cause, but when they inevitably pull out there will be no financial leg for the athletic department to rest on because the AD has garnered little commoner support. Without the little guys giving their pennies there is no true sustainability. This will eventual smack the budget in the mouth and people will see what has become of this athletic department. We are a ticking time ULM. 

• Upvote 4

Very entertaining and interesting thread.

RV's scheduling is terrible--to argue otherwise is just to defend him because you like him.

RV's hires have been very, very subpar--only because Johnny Jones was solid, Karen Aston and Jalie Mitchell seem to not suck, and Littrell is brand new. The others have been awful--and that includes Dickey, even if RV didn't hire him. He extended him twice when no one else wanted him.

The UNT 17 love the university and sports--its awesome in many, many ways.  The shiny new facilities and the removal of Dan McCarney immediately after the worst loss in modern college football history despite his $2+ million dollar contract buyout said all we need to know about their love of this place. RV gives them the access and they feel loyal to him, obviously.

What we know is that for a long time we threw no money at this thing. Then the SGA stepped up and made us throw some money at this thing. Then the UNT 17 came forward and we have thrown more at this thing than we ever have historically. But without winning, that money is never attracting other money--hence, the lack of attendance and the lack of MGC members. Throw in ridiculous RV comments/lies, it pushes a lot of people away, as evidenced by many on here. You cannot go 11 years at any other FBS or FCS school and have one winning season to show for your time as the AD--but you can here. And as evidenced by the clear reality that the BOR and administration won't change RV out, whether Smatresk wanted to do that or not is the true wild card, it remains the new albatross on the entire program. Until winning becomes the important goal in football and basketball, not staying in budget and not letting 17 people fund this as their own investment club, it just appears to be a colossal waste of time and money to believe something else will happen here under the current AD.

And that's why a lot of people look at Seth Littrell and think that he is climbing a mountain of pure dogshit around here, that even with his pedigree and background, the inherent problems of the university's views on athletics are not ones that anyone has overcome in a major way. JJ obviously had minor success here and it grabbed LSU's attention so much that they hired him, since they knew their "son" had built up a decent program at a place that winning in anything revenue related has been almost impossible for decades.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 2/16/2016 at 2:38 PM, UNT90 said:

Excuse for every failed hire except Peterson. Not surprised. 

That person has sold you a bill of goods. Look at the record. Look at the MGC numbers, or lack thereof. You are doing ALL the heavy lifting and throwing good money after bad. 

If you truly care about UNT athletics, address the disease, not the symptoms. Otherwise, be prepared to keep replacing coaches every 3 years while attendance continues to sink toward unbelievably horrific 

On 2/17/2016 at 10:26 AM, Stan R said:

I see you post this often.  What exactly do you mean by that comment? That could be taken several different ways.

Undisclosed injury = pregnant. 

Concussion = failed drug test

Change the t and f in treefiddy and you have freetiddy

#itsallajoke 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll just add this to this thread. If Littrell fails, expect a post from @flyonthewall claiming that RV wanted Meacham all along so Littrell wasn't RV's fault.

Of course, this won't come until after KRAM has dropped little nuggets insinuating Meacham was really RV's choice. 

This won't occur until it's clear that Littrell isn't going to be successful, just like with Stephens, Dodge, and all the other excuse hires of RV.

It's indicative of the massive dysfunction that surrounds this AD and its biggest supporters.

meanwhile, they praise in public and praise in private...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I'll just add this to this thread. If Littrell fails, expect a post from @flyonthewall claiming that RV wanted Meacham all along so Littrell wasn't RV's fault.

Of course, this won't come until after KRAM has dropped little nuggets insinuating Meacham was really RV's choice. 

This won't occur until it's clear that Littrell isn't going to be successful, just like with Stephens, Dodge, and all the other excuse hires of RV.

It's indicative of the massive dysfunction that surrounds this AD and its biggest supporters.

I get what you are saying, but what if we actually had success with Littrell? What then? What if after 3 years he is sitting on a 26-12 overall record with 1-1 in bowl play? Other than of course Fly and Co smiling while nodding up and down moving their head side to side holding their right hand with palm up directly in front of them saying "Seeeeeeee"

The rest of us would be happy nevertheless but while obviously having  to explain to them how some mice are actually blind and even them too find a cookie every once in awhile. Either way, I am game for 26-12. I can get behind that. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I get what you are saying, but what if we actually had success with Littrell? What then? What if after 3 years he is sitting on a 26-12 overall record with 1-1 in bowl play? Other than of course Fly and Co smiling while nodding up and down moving their head side to side holding their right hand with palm up directly in front of them saying "Seeeeeeee"

The rest of us would be happy nevertheless but while obviously having  to explain to them how some mice are actually blind and even them too find a cookie every once in awhile. Either way, I am game for 26-12. I can get behind that. 

That's easy, RV always takes the credit when something goes right. He will be tooting his own horn to anyone that will listen. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Everyone would be happy with that. There is zero evidence that will ever happen with Rick Villarreal at AD. I think it's far more likely we see Littrell get beat down by the challenges at UNT like all the others.

53 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

That's easy, RV always takes the credit when something goes right. He will be tooting his own horn to anyone that will listen. 

Always responsible when something goes right, never responsible when something goes wrong. Just ask Fly.

Just read what Fly posted in this very thread, giving RV credit for all of the buildings and Apogee, yet not holding him accountable AT ALL for any bad hire. I guess he doesn't get the argument could also be made that the only thing RV did for the stadium is stay the hell away from the student vote and let 21 year old kids do a better job than he did back in 2002 (or whenever he led the failed campaign). 

Just headshakingly dysfunctional and good ole boy system, with RV being the top good old boy.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I will fix this right now.  Rick villarreal wanted seth littrell.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, flyonthewall said:

Truth, rv mentioned s.l. the sunday after the wku as being on his short list.  I have no idea when he was on smastreks radar.

Always the wiggle room. Being in the short list doesn't mean he is the guy RV wanted.

Was Littrell THE guy RV wanted? Was he the #1 guy?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On February 19, 2016 at 3:29 PM, UNT90 said:

Always the wiggle room. Being in the short list doesn't mean he is the guy RV wanted.

Was Littrell THE guy RV wanted? Was he the #1 guy?

You do know that Jim Harbaugh was also on his short list when we hired Dodge..at least that is what everyone I know was told.

So yeah...it's possible.  I mean...for all we know Urban Meyer and the ghost of Nnute Rockne were too depending on who your talking to.

Rick

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

You do know that Jim Harbaugh was also on his short list when we hired Dodge..at least that is what everyone I know was told.

So yeah...it's possible.  I mean...for all we know Urban Meyer and the ghost of Nnute Rockne were too depending on who your talking to.

Rick

And there is no answer to that question. I guarantee you that if Littrell fails and, lord forbid, RV is still AD at UNT when it happens, Fly and his cronies will be rolling out the "RV really wanted __________, but Smatresk made him take Littrell."

Watch. Wait. See.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2