Conference Foes future OOC home schedules

UNT90

Honestly, while I prefer lower level P5, I'd take some upper level G5.  I'd be okay with a home/home with most schools from the AAC, MAC, or Mountain West.

Out of the schedules listed above, give me Marshall's.  Followed by ODU, then FIU.  Rice's is good too, but maybe a little too good.  A few others look promising, but too many OPEN dates for me to make a determination at this point.

Edited by NT93

I'm sure if we knew a team was going to come to Denton and kick our rear 66-7, we'd prefer it had been any one of the FBS opponents listed above.... not Portland State. The simple truth is we need to schedule better. Much better.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I'm sure if we knew a team was going to come to Denton and kick our rear 66-7, we'd prefer it had been any one of the FBS opponents listed above.... not Portland State. The simple truth is we need to schedule better. Much better.

Yep. Many have used an excuse for RV of "I don't want a P5 to come in and beat us by 50 on our home field."

Well, an FCS came in and beat UNT by 59. On homecoming.

Is that what these people prefer?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

50 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Being NT is scheduled through 2020, I am not sure what this and other threads about the same thing serves.   Whatever you think of RV's scheduling ability, there are no easy non-expensive means to change it.   

Excuses, wow.  If this team is struggling in the second year of Seth's tenure I hope you are just as easy on the Seth and the players

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Yep. Many have used an excuse for RV of "I don't want a P5 to come in and beat us by 50 on our home field."

Well, an FCS came in and beat UNT by 59. On homecoming.

Is that what these people prefer?

Yep, UNT90 the most uninspiring attitude is displayed here.  We shouldn't schedule tough opponents to come to Apogee cause we will be underdogs?  WTH is that and why as a recruit would I want to come play for fans and a student body that doesn't believe in their team?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Being NT is scheduled through 2020, I am not sure what this and other threads about the same thing serves.   Whatever you think of RV's scheduling ability, there are no easy non-expensive means to change it.   

Clayton Williams, eh? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Correct. Firing RV will do absolutely nothing to change the schedule next year or the year after. I think the first chance for a change is around 2020. I wonder if there is a way to block entire threads from view? Now, every one of the contracts does have a clause to get out of the game, but that requires paying a substantial fee and I haven't seen anything suggested that will negate that fee. 

Parroting "it's all RV's fault" and "RV caused the problem" does nothing at all toward fixing the problem.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have you considered the fact that if the person in charge of scheduling is allowed to stay the problem continues into 2021, 2022, etc., etc.?

28 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Parroting "it's all RV's fault" and "RV caused the problem" does nothing at all toward fixing the problem.  

Not making a change doesn't fix the problem either.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

You're mixing two problems into one.  Scheduling lower division schools (especially good ones) is one thing.  Getting beat by them is an entirely different problem. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Correct. Firing RV will do absolutely nothing to change the schedule next year or the year after. I think the first chance for a change is around 2020. I wonder if there is a way to block entire threads from view? Now, every one of the contracts does have a clause to get out of the game, but that requires paying a substantial fee and I haven't seen anything suggested that will negate that fee. 

It's not about, hey let's change this schedule. 

It's, hey look at our uninspiring schedule we've negotiated for. 

If I could give Northern Arizona a piece of my mind....

7 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Excuses, wow.  If this team is struggling in the second year of Seth's tenure I hope you are just as easy on the Seth and the players

Yep, UNT90 the most uninspiring attitude is displayed here.  We shouldn't schedule tough opponents to come to Apogee cause we will be underdogs?  WTH is that and why as a recruit would I want to come play for fans and a student body that doesn't believe in their team?

I am not sure how stating the truth is an excuse, 

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Clayton Williams, eh? 

Another truly idiotic reference. 

23 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Have you considered the fact that if the person in charge of scheduling is allowed to stay the problem continues into 2021, 2022, etc., etc.?

Not making a change doesn't fix the problem either.

Yes, I do realize that, however I am a lot more concerned about a lot of issues inside the athletic department than I am about the 2021 schedule.   

I guess any post on any thread has to have a reference to how bad RV has done his job to satisfy some.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

46 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, I do realize that, however I am a lot more concerned about a lot of issues inside the athletic department than I am about the 2021 schedule.   

I guess any post on any thread has to have a reference to how bad RV has done his job to satisfy some.  

I mean, any post revolving around athletics has to have some mentioning of RV. We are pretty awful from a performance standpoint, attendance, and fundraising and we have been for most of his tenure at UNT. Most every position in the AD over the last 15 years has had turnover except for one. The one that matters most. The common denominator...Rick V. I had said it now numerous times, how he is still employed by this great university is well beyond me. There needs to be a gold standard set for the University top to bottom in every facet and it is disappointing that our standard in athletics at North Texas is RV. Damn shame, really. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I mean, any post revolving around athletics has to have some mentioning of RV. We are pretty awful from a performance standpoint, attendance, and fundraising and we have been for most of his tenure at UNT. Most every position in the AD over the last 15 years has had turnover except for one. The one that matters most. The common denominator...Rick V. I had said it now numerous times, how he is still employed by this great university is well beyond me. There needs to be a gold standard set for the University top to bottom in every facet and it is disappointing that our standard in athletics at North Texas is RV. Damn shame, really. 

Hank Dickenson, Matt Phillips, Paul Batchelder, Mike Ashbaugh, Troy Taylor, Cinnamon Sheffield would all disagree about this turnover thing, bad argument.

Fundraising, not a good argument either, otherwise we wouldn't have a center hung scoreboard in the pit, a dedicated basketball practice facility, a dedicated golf practice facility, the center court finally being finished at the tennis center..... I could go on and on, but fundraising does not suck.,

It really all comes down to wins and losses, because everything else is in place.  There are no excuses left.  Coaches have facilities to use and recruit to, kids have nice facilities, time to win

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

Hank Dickenson, Matt Phillips, Paul Batchelder, Mike Ashbaugh, Troy Taylor, Cinnamon Sheffield would all disagree about this turnover thing, bad argument.

Fundraising, not a good argument either, otherwise we wouldn't have a center hung scoreboard in the pit, a dedicated basketball practice facility, a dedicated golf practice facility, the center court finally being finished at the tennis center..... I could go on and on, but fundraising does not suck.,

It really all comes down to wins and losses, because everything else is in place.  There are no excuses left.  Coaches have facilities to use and recruit to, kids have nice facilities, time to win

Wait, what?   I must have missed this...

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

The question is, if this is what you and the other "large donors" believe. Will there be financial action if RV continues to lose? I'm curious to know

4 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

It's been "time to win" since the day RV got here 15 years ago. We've been getting our butts beat by programs with MUCH lower funding and MUCH worse facilities than North Texas......for years. The most successful football coach we've had (and admittedly not my favorite at the time) in the last 15 years WASN'T HIRED BY RV.

A center hung scoreboard? Did the Super Pit immediately get sold out the next day, or week, or even a month after it was installed? How many sell outs since it's been up there?

Apogee? Were it not the SGA we would probably not have it. And how many sell-outs have we had there since it opened in 2011? And WHO IS IT that is in charge of getting it filled up? Coming up on 5 years for Apogee, but no signs from anywhere at the University that RV is going to be held responsible for no sell outs. 

As that old Gershwin tune goes...."Nice work if you can get it". 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

Overall fundraising by RV has been abysmal.  Yes, he has after a long tenure developed some strong core donors and I applaud him on that.  However, even with required membership in the MGC for prime tickets, the total number of donors and support is far below peer numbers.   

Too many RV supporters compare his accomplishments with historical NT and frankly about anyone could excel on that basis.   The assumption that any competent AD couldn't have done the same or better in RV's timeframe is very questionable.   

Yes, I do agree it all comes down to wins and loses, and RV's record there is indisputably bad. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

You are quickly learning that if you don't go along with their way of thinking, then you are just spouting excuses.  Lesson #2 is UNT90 will throw out obscure references and turn every post in to a "see, I told you so" or "I was right all along" themed response to continue with his tired old act.  I have even stated that I thought it was time for RV to go, but he still refers to me as a sympathizer because I don't go along with his childish antics.  You will learn to ignore most of it over time.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

If RV continues to lose?  To my knowledge, Rick Villarreal has not coached a game in his career at North Texas.   Which large donor have you talked to that likes to lose?

He does like to refer to himself as coach last time I checked, but that's besides the point. And this is a serious question, but is it some sort of 10 year plan that he has ya'll sold on or something? Because what he's been doing as far as coaching hires hasn't exactly worked for 15 years. I mean I tend to look at 5 and 10 year trends for stocks before I invest to see what I'm going to get out of it. UNT Athletics has been trending down for 15 years now, kinda seems like a bad investment to me

• Upvote 4