Top Teams UNT have Never Played

Mike Jackson

In another discussion we are debating out of conference opponents.  Everyone whats to get a good P5 team to come to Apogee.  However it got me to thinking; What teams that we have never played before would you want UNT to play  regardless of location?   My top 5 are below.  What are yours?

1. Michigan 

2. USC

3. Notre Dame

4. Oregon

5. Ohio State

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I have really mixed feelings about this.  One side of me says play some of the lower P5 schools that we have a chance of beating.  That might be someone like Wake Forest, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa State, Rutgers, and/or Purdue.  

Another side says play the best and your list would be close.  

Still another side says play the teams from the SEC and Big 12 that you've never played.  There is only one in the SEC that we haven't played...South Carolina.  I believe (I'm doing this from memory) that we've never played Iowa State, Kansas, or West Virginia from the Big 12.  If that's true, then I'd add Notre Dame as the only P5 independent.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Then you would all bitch about playing the strongest teams and get all #FireRick. Make up your mind, kiddos.

You have never once seen me complain about UNT playing strong teams.   However an annual beat down game at Austin, Norman,  Baton Rouge,  Fayetteville,  or College Station doesn't make sense.  I didn't mind the game at iowa.  First ever matches are interesting to me no matter what the betting line is.  Interesting thoughts @GrayEagle.  I like a West Virginia match up.  However we are 0-3 against Kansas.  You are right South Carolina is the only SEC team we haven't played.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Then you would all bitch about playing the strongest teams and get all #FireRick. Make up your mind, kiddos.

1,213 posts. 377 negatives. Batting a great percentage for baseball, if strikes were good. Yikes. -.310 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

And then you would bitch about us bitching. Ain't it fun!!

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

1. Sul Ross

2. Texas Wesleyan

3. Portland State

4. Hutson Tollotson

5. Wayland Baptist

Solid.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I have really mixed feelings about this.  One side of me says play some of the lower P5 schools that we have a chance of beating.  That might be someone like Wake Forest, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa State, Rutgers, and/or Purdue.  

Not that it's a new or original thought, but I've been saying this for years:

1.  Colorado

2.  Purdue

3.  Virginia

4.  Syracuse

5.  BYU (not a bottom feeder, but it'd be cool to have them at Apogee)

Apologies if we've already played any of these schools.  This is off the top of my head, so I might make a few changes if I were to really think about it.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Not that it's a new or original thought, but I've been saying this for years:

1.  Colorado

2.  Purdue

3.  Virginia

4.  Syracuse

5.  BYU (not a bottom feeder, but it'd be cool to have them at Apogee)

Apologies if we've already played any of these schools.  This is off the top of my head, so I might make a few changes if I were to really think about it.

We've played BYU a few times and actually beat them twice. I think we're 2-2 against them. I'm surprised no one who was around back then ever brings that up as a major accomplishment. We've also played Colorado at least once in a loss, but Jamario ran wild and gave us hope for much of the game. I'm fine with that list though, since those teams are pretty much the opposite of SEC football.

• Upvote 1

How about California, New Mexico, UNLV, Nevado-Reno, Wyoming, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina, Vanderbilt, and a hundred others.  I don't mean to suggest that the teams I mentioned are teams we can beat' but rather theam that have up and down eras.  And many don't come to the DFWarea frequently.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

We played and lost to a 10-2 Kansas team at Texas Stadium in 1995, 27-10.  

It was just our luck, that our first year back to FBS and we catch Kansas with one of their few good teams in recent history. Someone correct me if I'm wrong,  but I want to say they were leading the nation in rushing that year?  

Rick

15 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

We've played BYU a few times and actually beat them twice. I think we're 2-2 against them. I'm surprised no one who was around back then ever brings that up as a major accomplishment. We've also played Colorado at least once in a loss, but Jamario ran wild and gave us hope for much of the game. I'm fine with that list though, since those teams are pretty much the opposite of SEC football.

I wasn't aware that we'd played BYU, but I do remember the Colorado game now that you mention it.

I won't even try naming others because I'll probably just name more schools we've already played:)

16 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

Who knew we played BYU so many times? I recall the 1971 game in the Cotton Bowl as it was my first. According to their stat page, we have actually played them five times, winning two. I agree they would be a good opponent at Apogee especially since we can now leave the soft drink concessions open.

Games Played: 5
at North Texas: 2
at BYU: 3
First Game: 1958
Last Game: 1980
BYU record vs. North Texas
All Games 3-2-0
at BYU 2-1-0
at North Texas 1-1-0
Neutral 0-0-0
Average Score 25.6-19.2

5 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Who knew we played BYU so many times? I recall the 1971 game in the Cotton Bowl as it was my first. According to their stat page, we have actually played them five times, winning two. I agree they would be a good opponent at Apogee especially since we can now leave the soft drink concessions open.

Games Played: 5
at North Texas: 2
at BYU: 3
First Game: 1958
Last Game: 1980
BYU record vs. North Texas
All Games 3-2-0
at BYU 2-1-0
at North Texas 1-1-0
Neutral 0-0-0
Average Score 25.6-19.2

It's a shame that we were asleep at the wheel when BYU went Indy and desperate  for help to fill out their schedule in 2009-10.  Big time power houses like New Mexico Stste and Middle Tennessee were able to take advantage and hosted the Cougars in 1 for 1's in '12 and '14.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Here's a list I found: http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/all-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2015&team=North+Texas&sort=a&mingames=0

Would be interesting to play Michigan.

I think getting a date with Wisconsin is awesome.  They are a model P5 program.  I hope I can make that a road trip.

I think it's interesting that our top 3 opponents (in terms of games played) are NMSU, Tulsa and UTEP.

14 hours ago, greenjoe said:

How about California, New Mexico, UNLV, Nevado-Reno, Wyoming, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina, Vanderbilt, and a hundred others.  I don't mean to suggest that the teams I mentioned are teams we can beat' but rather theam that have up and down eras.  And many don't come to the DFWarea frequently.  

GO MEAN GREEN

Wyoming would be an interesting first time match up but it would help our program's positive visibility much if we won

Central Florida only in a year we aren't playing FIU or FAU

South Florida we are 0-2 verses them

ECU lost to them in 1979 however I think most UNT fans were disappointed when it was confirmed ECU was leaving CUSA before we got in.

California is definitely my favorite for your suggestions.  A big "state" school you might be able to get into Apogee.

New Mexico (0-2 verses) kind of a meh since we have played New Mexico State so many times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Mike.  I specifically mentioned New Mexico and not New Mexico State.  I think there's a big difference in perception between the two.  I'd still like to see the likes of UNLV and Reno.  These are teams we SHOULD be competitive with and names our fans have heard of. 

Not of the quality of teams we've got coming in this fall but a start on building a better OOC schedule. 

And I wonder, do we call these schools ?  And if so,  a) do they take our calls, and b) is there any interest, and c) is there any negotiation ?

I'd love to hear the names of the schools that turned us down. 

GO MEAN GREEN

On 2/15/2016 at 11:05 AM, FirefightnRick said:

We played and lost to a 10-2 Kansas team at Texas Stadium in 1995, 27-10.  

It was just our luck, that our first year back to FBS and we catch Kansas with one of their few good teams in recent history. Someone correct me if I'm wrong,  but I want to say they were leading the nation in rushing that year?  

Rick

Excellent team, the KU 1995.  Glen Mason was the coach and had turned them into a monster.  Their only losses that year were to a highly ranked K-State and eventual national champion, Nebraska.  They completely pantsed UCLA in their bowl game that year, 50 something to 20?

I just remember watching the Kansas - Oklahoma game that year and, in the second quarter, KU went on an epic 22 play drive that took about 10 minutes off the clock.  They converted three or four fourth down including the eventual touchdown.  OU had led 14-0 in the first quarter, but KU ended up whipping them 38-17...in Norman. 

To this day, that is the longest drive I have ever seen.  It was awesome.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1995/oct/22/kansas_38_ou_17/

"Records aren't kept in the category, but Kansas' second-quarter TD drive must have been one of the longest in NCAA history. It lasted 22 plays and consumed all but 2:42 of the quarter. Overall, Kansas had the ball nearly 40 of the game's 60 minutes, running 83 plays to the Sooners' 54."

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

Here's a list I found: http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/all-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2015&team=North+Texas&sort=a&mingames=0

Would be interesting to play Michigan.

I think getting a date with Wisconsin is awesome.  They are a model P5 program.  I hope I can make that a road trip.

I think it's interesting that our top 3 opponents (in terms of games played) are NMSU, Tulsa and UTEP.

Wisconsin could be a good future matchup for a Littrell offense. Big nasty "old school" teams should be more susceptible to an upset against a spread 'me out team.

51 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

And I wonder, do we call these schools ?  And if so,  a) do they take our calls, and b) is there any interest, and c) is there any negotiation ?

I'd love to hear the names of the schools that turned us down. 

Tulsa and Northern Arizona say hi.

7 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Northern Arizona ?  I asked Rick at Rudy's a year or so ago of our OOC schedule.  He told me _ _ _ _ and Northern Arizona.  I said, "Who" and then asked where Northern Arizona was.  He said he didn't know.  I'm surprised they're not scheduled.

GO MEAN GREEN

He mentioned it on Harry's podcast too.  

He told us it was Northern Arizona's fault for bailing on us forcing us to have to play a 12 straight game schedule last year....despite the fact that, according to the folks at Northern Arizona that never happened.

Rick