How cheap did you drink in college?

NTAlum09

4 hours ago, Stix said:

Still, it was the cheapest beer anywhere in Denton, and it was a short walk from Bruce Hall.  So we drank it.

I think you could get Schlitz at JJs Pizza on the Square for $1...maybe $1.50.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is still that price.

Re: Flying Tomato...

My first piano teacher at UNT was a graduate of the St. Petersburg State Conservatory.  When he left Russia for Denton, they awarded him a certificate of performance only given out to five people in the last 50 years.  We're talking about a place where people like Rubenstein, Shostakovich, Slonimsky, Korsakov and Leschetizky walked the halls.  A who's who of Russian greats studied there.  Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev...etc

After two years, I was halfway through my undergrad but he was finishing up with his doctoral work and moving away.  He wanted to have a drink with me so we sat upstairs and shared a pitcher at the Tomato.  There were only a few others in the entire place at the time.  A friend of his, another Russian native and one of my favorite undergrad pianists in Denton at the time, would play pool regularly past midnight at Lucky Lou's.

I know it's home to many drunken nights for y'all (including my own).  It's just a strange thing to me to think about who your neighbor might be at these Denton establishments.  So much culture (not just musically) meeting to indulge in varied conversation and cheap alcohol.

Denton is a special place.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, ADLER said:

Pic is from, I'd guess 87-88. The guy in the front wearing the white shirt (Emery) was a close friend of GMoney's older brother and now lives in Winter Park, CO. He's talking with a mullet guy (Bowen) in the leather Members Only style jacket  (and yes, it was horribly outdated by then) lives in Lewisville, and the blonde in white (Maureen) is a former girlfriend of mine who now lives in Chandler, AZ.

Yeah, I think it was 87, my last semester because several of the guys in that pic were in an evening class with me. And we'd probably just gotten out of class.  I'm the one to the left of the post in the black hoodie type sweater.  One of my best friends is the guy in the background looking through his wallet.  He never found anything in there.

Funny, but I stumbled across this picture looking through the UNT 125 anniversary blog.  

Edited by GBarksdale

On 2/8/2016 at 4:14 PM, SilverEagle said:

They didn't have bars in Denton (except for private clubs) when I graduated in 75. When I was attending was when Lake Dallas went wet and opened a couple of liquor stores. One of them ran a special for "Old Mill" @ .88 cents a six pack. The Sig Eps bought up a large quantity of it and put it in their "soda" machine, and during rush week they had it for 50 cents a can..........and still made money.

Unfortunately all too true. The irony was that at that time, the legal drinking age in Texas was 18. We had to drive to Lake Dallas if we wanted anything which at that time, was a 1A high school town with a bunch of liquor stores to accommodate the NTSU students. Lincoln Park came later and we then had a choice of going south or east for a bottle of Everclear.

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Unfortunately all too true. The irony was that at that time, the legal drinking age in Texas was 18. We had to drive to Lake Dallas if we wanted anything which at that time, was a 1A high school town with a bunch of liquor stores to accommodate the NTSU students. Lincoln Park came later and we then had a choice of going south or east for a bottle of Everclear.

Ahh, the main ingredient in my groups favorite punch when we had a party. 2 two liter bottles of 7-up or Sprite, one pint of (reconstituted) lime juice AND one pint of lemon juice and a fifth of Everclear. We called it "Green Goddammits"....GGD for short. In retrospect we should have called it "Mean Green Goddammits". 

BTW, I thought that Lincoln Park came first.

On February 9, 2016 at 1:35 PM, hickoryhouse said:

But as a Jim Beam fan, that city is the best.   $2 jim beam shots all over town, cant beat that.

Denton sells more Beam than anywhere else in the country, which has created a legendary status amongst various whiskey distilleries and their personnel are typically on a first-name-basis with many bar owners in town.

Also, I should post a photo tour of all the good stuff happening right now:

Taps And Caps

Bearded Monk

Re-designed Loophole

Tex Tapas

Paschalls

940's

Barley & Board

Hickory & Fry

Shots & Crafts

Tom's Daiquiri

Audacity's brewpub

Armadillo Ale Works new space in the works.

Its all so good right now.

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2016 at 10:02 AM, Christopher Walker said:

Denton sells more Beam than anywhere else in the country, which has created a legendary status amongst various whiskey distilleries and their personnel are typically on a first-name-basis with many bar owners in town.

Also, I should post a photo tour of all the good stuff happening right now:

Taps And Caps

Bearded Monk

Re-designed Loophole

Tex Tapas

Paschalls

940's

Barley & Board

Hickory & Fry

Shots & Crafts

Tom's Daiquiri

Audacity's brewpub

Armadillo Ale Works new space in the works.

Its all so good right now.

I blame Jason Lee for this boundless gentrification.  

Also, why, good sir, would you list all of those things and exclude Oak Street and East Side?

For all the good things happening in Denton, there will always be a special place in my heart for the enabling bartenders of II Charlies.  They took me in the day I moved out of the house and on to life on my own.  They knew I was coming in advance.  I'm quite certain we broke a litany of laws that day, and I'll be forever grateful.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

The Tomato was cool when I first got to Denton in the Fall of 2004. I order the pizza combo, took a shit and then went back to Victory Hall. Now that success!

Made me laugh until I remembered doing the same.  That stuff was better than Ducolax!