How cheap did you drink in college?

NTAlum09

I started school in 2005 and graduated in 2009.

Here were my places to go for cheap drinks

Garage - .50 cent wells or $1 doubles from 9pm to 11pm

Lucky Lous - $2 dollar LIT

Atticus on the square - Wed. night were $1 pitcher night - Anybody remember this place?

Sidebar - Nickel Natty Night during Monday Night Football games

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

I graduated college in 1994, and don't think I ever saw bar prices like the ones you just listed.

The nickel natty perplexes me though.  I was quite certain that TABC has a rule that a bar must at least break even on every drink it sells.

Just now, oldguystudent said:

I graduated college in 1994, and don't think I ever saw bar prices like the ones you just listed.

The nickel natty perplexes me though.  I was quite certain that TABC has a rule that a bar must at least break even on every drink it sells.

Sidebar just closed it's doors last year.

• Downvote 1

They didn't have bars in Denton (except for private clubs) when I graduated in 75. When I was attending was when Lake Dallas went wet and opened a couple of liquor stores. One of them ran a special for "Old Mill" @ .88 cents a six pack. The Sig Eps bought up a large quantity of it and put it in their "soda" machine, and during rush week they had it for 50 cents a can..........and still made money.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

.50  cent wells were awesome at the Garage.

My friend was dating a bartender at sidebar, so I always got the friend discount on my beers. 

Roosters on the Square had dollar pint night.

Rocky sports bar was next to my neighborhood and they had $5 pitchers on Saturday nights. 

• Upvote 1

1990-95:

-As I recall, O'tays had dollar pitcher night
-Rick's Place would have those 'any coin' nights where you could buy drinks with coins

Don't recall what specials, if any, Riprock's ran...of course, that could be the reason Riprock's outlasted all of them as well.

Anyway, I think most bars in the area had the dollar pitcher thing.  Sounds like they still do.  Most of the specials were run on Thursday nights back then as well.  Not sure if that's still the case.  Thursday seemed to be the big drinking/going out night back in the day.

• Downvote 1

1999 - 2003

When I first got to Denton, there was a place next to Karma Cafe (State Line? State Club?) that had nickel beers served in cups.  The venue was gone before I graduated.

My last year in Denton I was walking to the gas station across the street to get the 30 pack of Keystones for $18.

I understand the Loophole currently does Shiner Black pitchers for $5, and the Greenhouse has $1 Shiner pints on Monday nights.  Other beers were/are $2.  I could get 3 pints and take care of tab/tip at $10.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

1999 - 2003

When I first got to Denton, there was a place next to Karma Cafe (State Line? State Club?) that had nickel beers served in cups.  The venue was gone before I graduated.

My last year in Denton I was walking to the gas station across the street to get the 30 pack of Keystones for $18.

I understand the Loophole currently does Shiner Black pitchers for $5, and the Greenhouse has $1 Shiner pints on Monday nights.  Other beers were/are $2.  I could get 3 pints and take care of tab/tip at $10.

Loved the food at State Club.  Was really sad to see it go.  

Every trip back to Denton my friends and I marvel at how cheap it is to drink there.  Frankly the prices now don’t seem that much more now than when I was an undergrad from ‘92 - ’97.  

• Upvote 1

If tabs are calculated as a percentage of your total, then you have to assume Denton servers are getting less than the rest of DFW because of all the cheap drinks.  I don't know one way or the other if the employers compensate with better pay, but it doesn't matter to me.

This thread has inspired me to tip my Denton servers more.  Anytime I go up there, I am saving so much on my drink total, I can budget a little more for the staff.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

I started school in 2005 and graduated in 2009.

Here were my places to go for cheap drinks

Garage - .50 cent wells or $1 doubles from 9pm to 11pm

Lucky Lous - $2 dollar LIT

Atticus on the square - Wed. night were $1 pitcher night - Anybody remember this place?

Ah, y'all don't know serious drinking.  Ray Wylie Hubbard knew serious drinking because his lawyer suggested it:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/ray-wylie-hubbard/

Ray Wylie will be at Dan's Silverleaf May 3, 2016, at 9:00, but he won't be drinking.  Be there.  You could get lucky like me and become the straight man for his story about how he came to write "Up against the Wall Redneck Mothers". 

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Ah, y'all don't know serious drinking.  Ray Wylie Hubbard knew serious drinking because his lawyer suggested it:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/ray-wylie-hubbard/

Ray Wylie will be at Dan's Silverleaf May 3, 2016, at 9:00, but he won't be drinking.  Be there.  You could get lucky like me and become the straight man for his story about how he came to write "Up against the Wall Redneck Mothers". 

but snake farm just sounds nasty

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Loved the food at State Club.  Was really sad to see it go.  

Every trip back to Denton my friends and I marvel at how cheap it is to drink there.  Frankly the prices now don’t seem that much more now than when I was an undergrad from ‘92 - ’97.  

State Club was our go-to for cheap beer night for sure.

• Downvote 1