Louisiana Tech (2/6/16)

CMJ

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

Wow, what a game to miss.  Maybe it was good luck for me to be away from listening.

Nah CMJ, you should keep listening. It is amazing what happens when you play a little defense. They could always score points. This should have been a focus from the beginning of the year.  Nice win, though!

GMG

Edited by djohnnie
spelled a word improperly
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, djohnnie said:

Nah CMJ, you should keep listening. It is amazing what happens when you play a little defense. They could always score points. This should have been a focus from the beginning of the year.  Nice win, though!

GMG

We need to run more man defense though. Our zone has been more successful because we are extending it further out, it is still requiring our guards be quick do adjust while the ball is moved around the arc. With our lack of depth our guards get tired as the game goes on and it makes it harder for them to adjust.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Crowd at tip off...

Qtz6RBB.jpg

4,600, have we hired the SMU attendance taker, or are we counting all the reserved seats for elementary schools who did not show up?

Not a representative shot of the full crowd who eventually made it to their seats...we, had that 4600+.  But, quibble as we may over the actual attendance, it was darn good.  And, whoever was responsible for the promos that got all those groups and others to attend...as we have been averaging under 200, should be given a pat on the back.  The crowd noise had to help the players, and they did seem to enjoy the attendance as witnessed by the bench "goings on" at multiple times throughout the game.  FUN it certainly was...and nice to see two home wins in one week!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, KRAM1 said:

Not a representative shot of the full crowd who eventually made it to their seats...we, had that 4600+.  But, quibble as we may over the actual attendance, it was darn good.  And, whoever was responsible for the promos that got all those groups and others to attend...as we have been averaging under 200, should be given a pat on the back.  The crowd noise had to help the players, and they did seem to enjoy the attendance as witnessed by the bench "goings on" at multiple times throughout the game.  FUN it certainly was...and nice to see two home wins in one week!

Agreed! We should be able to being in that type of crowd every saterday! Families and students need to show up more.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, djohnnie said:

I really wish that Deandre could have kept his act together. His points off the bench would have been invaluable to this club. They are just starting to gear up

defensively, too. Oh well, glad to see they are trending in a good direction anyway. Keep the defensive pressure going.

GMG

He still cares enough to show up to every home game. I think he got frustrated being pulled for taking threes, but Reese and Deckie had the green light. I still see it in the stands that he gets this look when Deckie jacks a three and misses like "why isn't he being benched"? He still has one more year left and he is going to finish out his degree. Best academics of anyone on the team and handled his business in the classroom.

maybe he is holding out for a new coach next year and try to go out for the team then. Who knows.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He still cares enough to show up to every home game. I think he got frustrated being pulled for taking threes, but Reese and Deckie had the green light. I still see it in the stands that he gets this look when Deckie jacks a three and misses like "why isn't he being benched"? He still has one more year left and he is going to finish out his degree. Best academics of anyone on the team and handled his business in the classroom.

maybe he is holding out for a new coach next year and try to go out for the team then. Who knows.

Maybe because career wise Deckie Johnson and Reese are better shooters? Deandre's hot temper I think has been a concern for the staff and so they likely limited his minutes.

Johnson - 33.8% (49-145)

Reese - 33% (32-97)

Deandre - 26.5% (22-83)

Deandre was a streaky shooter and a lot of it was centered around his frame of mind during the game.

Edited by UNTFan23

10 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Maybe because career wise Deckie Johnson and Reese are better shooters? Deandre's hot temper I think has been a concern for the staff and so they likely limited his minutes.

Johnson - 33.8% (49-145)

Reese - 33% (32-97)

Deandre - 26.5% (22-83)

Deandre was a streaky shooter and a lot of it was centered around his frame of mind during the game.

I understand. He is still missed. He was a solid 6th man. We have had zero bench. We could have used him against WKU and Rice. Next years coach may give him a look if he finishes his degree here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I understand. He is still missed. He was a solid 6th man. We have had zero bench. We could have used him against WKU and Rice. Next years coach may give him a look if he finishes his degree here.

He was a solid 6th man? he only managed 7.1 points per game in his career and 6.9 last season putting him at 6th in scoring but turnovers were a problem.  54 TOs in 2014-2015 - 3rd most on the team and poor at ball handling considering number of games / minutes played per game at 2 TOs per game & .1 per minute.  Williams was 2.6 and .07 for the same stats.

I feel like Flannigan was a more solid player personally.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Andrew said:

Brice is a pretty nice piece to have coming off the bench IMO 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

He is but when I think 6th man I think pure scorer like Jason Terry. Somebody who isn't perfect and can make mistakes, but at any given time can fill up the scoreboard.

You realize who Benford has recruited then  ran off?? We're the UNT Mean Green not the MAVS

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You realize who Benford has recruited then  ran off?? We're the UNT Mean Green not the MAVS

I am just saying usually 6th men are players who play above the arc. Not always but usually. Brice is a very important piece off the bench, but we need a shooter. It would be nice if Ward could start giving us 6-8 points a night off the bench. If not maybe Alante. He started the season well and then just dropped off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1