Drinking Question

NTAlum09

12 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This is a very tricky question to answer.. I guess we should start with this: After we gave up 21 points in the 4th quarter to blow that game at SMOO, I gave up on the season.  I seriously did. You could tell at that point the 2015 squad had no fight.

BUT I did drink my pain away that night. 

So to answer your question, I was at a 4 during the game & a 11 afterwards.

I don't want to get off thread topic but I just wanted to add a quick nugget.

During the height of the HOD Bowl year, I was in a fraternity (yes, bring on any jokes you got) and we absolutely STRUGGLED to get people to want to come to tailgates because of the ingrained perception that UNT athletics created.

Let me get this right. A fraternity is/was worried about perception?......a North Texas fraternity?...................

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

imagine taking an adult that went to a P5 giant with you to watch a UNT game played at home against a SBC team played at Fouts...I did that exactly once, only to hear nothing but laughter at neighborhood parties afterwards for years, as he described going to watch us get spanked by a Florida "Airport", in front of about 6000 people, sitting on a bench seat that felt like he was a mile and a half away from the field...just a bit different from his days at Auburn.

I know several people who went to P5 schools (A&M, OU, KSU, UT,LSU) who have purchased club seats or season tickets and have no other connection to UNT other than living in the area. Yet, they show up and hope for the best.  Several showed up the other night.  I suppose that their are some people who just can't help but root for an underdog.  In fact I recently spoke to 2 individuals who attended P5 schools that attended their first UNT games ever last year with their children.  Both said they and their kids enjoyed it and plan on coming back.  I suppose it all depends on who you know.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

North Texas fan mentality pre 2012- Remain quiet while people talk about college football. Speak up about hoops (at least we have basketball)

North Texas fan mentality in 2013- Talk about college football with your fellow SEC and Big 12 team fan buddies. Don't get to cocky... But your are given the right to speak highly of the Mean Green Defense when it comes down to it. Suck it TCU and Texas

North Texas fan post 2014- Just remain quiet about sports, roll your eyes when someone bad mouths UNT... But never speak up or argue about it. Walk into an establishment IN DENTON and hesitate a little to ask them to switch over from a P5 game to a UNT football game.

2016: Please lord, make Littrell the guy who gets it for us. We have been clowned 3 times now since the early 00's... Just let Littrell bring us that 2013-in-your-face feeling again!

7 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

North Texas fan mentality pre 2012- Remain quiet while people talk about college football. Speak up about hoops (at least we have basketball)

North Texas fan mentality in 2013- Talk about college football with your fellow SEC and Big 12 team fan buddies. Don't get to cocky... But your are given the right to speak highly of the Mean Green Defense when it comes down to it. Suck it TCU and Texas

North Texas fan post 2014- Just remain quiet about sports, roll your eyes when someone bad mouths UNT... But never speak up or argue about it. Walk into an establishment IN DENTON and hesitate a little to ask them to switch over from a P5 game to a UNT football game.

2016: Please lord, make Littrell the guy who gets it for us. We have been clowned 3 times now since the early 00's... Just let Littrell bring us that 2013-in-your-face feeling again!

My feelings exactly!!!

Edited by runt96

To the original question, for the entire 2015 season, I had a single two ounce taste of wine.  Life, the scheduling, and the year without beer all conspired to prevent me from drinking at games.  Probably better that way.

This upcoming schedule is much more amicable to me.  But since they tore down my beloved Royal Motel, I've got to either figure out a new plan or continue to be the sober guy.

10 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

To the original question, for the entire 2015 season, I had a single two ounce taste of wine.  Life, the scheduling, and the year without beer all conspired to prevent me from drinking at games.  Probably better that way.

This upcoming schedule is much more amicable to me.  But since they tore down my beloved Royal Motel, I've got to either figure out a new plan or continue to be the sober guy.

Go to Walmart. Get a tent. Problem solved.

Just now, UNT90 said:

Go to Walmart. Get a tent. Problem solved.

The first half of the season last year coincided with tax deadlines.  I couldn't have stayed over no matter what.  Some games, I drove from Denton back down to Dallas to go back to work.  Others, I had to go back in on Sunday morning.  This year appears to work out a little better.

Just now, oldguystudent said:

The first half of the season last year coincided with tax deadlines.  I couldn't have stayed over no matter what.  Some games, I drove from Denton back down to Dallas to go back to work.  Others, I had to go back in on Sunday morning.  This year appears to work out a little better.

Oh ya, I was just talking about the hotel issue. And really, I think a tent and a cot would probably be more comfortable and definitely cleaner and safer than something called the Royal Motel.

Sounds like a 50/50 chance of contracting bed bugs at that place.

• Upvote 1

Most games I started watching with cautious optimism and the hope that we would at least play well. 

Starting off: Craft beer of some kind (or some other quality, enjoyable beer)

Then as things would inevitably go downhill, I would wonder why I was spending more money to achieve the same effect.

The next six or so: Bud Light (or equivalent swill). 

Away games were watched at East Side since I don't have cable. For the Portland State game, I was at a Beer Olympics. I left it early to get there half say through the first quarter. I left before the fourth quarter to get back just as they were cleaning up and I helped a couple guys kill the remaining beers and walked home.

It feels good to let it all go...2016, here we come!

Edited by Tyler Maryak

14 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I probably drank way more this past season than I ever had in years previous. It was... rough.

However, hanging out with @oldguystudent and seeing him do the year-without-beer while being a beer officinado was kind of expiring. I'm now doing the same and after a month in... rough.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I probably drank way more this past season than I ever had in years previous. It was... rough.

However, hanging out with @oldguystudent and seeing him do the year-without-beer while being a beer officinado was kind of expiring. I'm now doing the same and after a month in... rough.

I've been doing bourbon and Jell-O shots during tailgating. Then tons of water at the game. 

Works out ok. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

After a year off, I still have only had one night of drinking beer this year.  It's not such a hard and fast rule as it was last year, but you kinda get used to it.  

There's a lot to discover in the way of bourbon and rye, my friend.  You've got Total Wine in Denton know.  Go exploring.

It does, however, really limit your options when going out.  Lots of places only serve beer, so you find yourself just not drinking at all.  

Edited by oldguystudent

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Buffalo Trace--and almost every bourbon that comes from that distillery, is pure greatness...

You've got pretty good taste, for being a Paschal guy...

i rarely drink the whiskey, but when i do, it's the TX whiskey...i find that stuff amazing and easy to drink...how does this compare to the trace?

Since when is drinking the question?  I thought it was the answer.

Luckily, since the only game I made it to was Homecoming, I got there early and was fairly buzzed by game time.  I had...whatever was offered to me.  Most games, I don't get out here in AZ when we're doing badly.  So the upside is that usually, if I can see a game here, it's because we are playing fairly well and I don't need to get too plastered to deal with it.

45 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Buffalo Trace--and almost every bourbon that comes from that distillery, is pure greatness...

Favorites over the past year were Noah's Mill, Knob Creek Single Barrel 120, Four Roses Single Barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel.

I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and there was something about it that rubbed me wrong. I don't remember what it was though.  Maybe a little sweet for me.

The standard I'm going to down a ridiculous portion of this bottle and not hurt my wallet too badly bottle is Evan Williams black.  When out and about in bars and not wanting to go bankrupt, I stick with the Beam.

If you're into the rye, Oak Street and East Side are selling Whistle Pig at ridiculously low prices.  John Williams bought a whole barrel of the stuff and had it custom bottled.

1 hour ago, THOR said:

i rarely drink the whiskey, but when i do, it's the TX whiskey...i find that stuff amazing and easy to drink...how does this compare to the trace?

I fancy buffalo trace over the TX whiskey. It is a different kind of sweet, and not as sweet imo. Vanilla, brown sugar. Cinnamon? A little bit of spice.

2 hours ago, THOR said:

There are some good Texas whiskeys out there, but I prefer the Kentucky Bourbons myself. Garrison Bros, is a Texas outfit and it is expensive, but very good. There's actually a Lewisville whiskey that I tried over the holidays that was not too expensive, but was really good on the palate--Witherspoon's was what is was called.

But Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, Blanton's, Weller, Stagg--those are some of the labels of Buffalo Trace Distillery.

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Blanton's is my preferred bourbon. I love everything from Buffalo Trace. Was lucky enough to find a cigar bar in DC last year with Pappy at $18 a glass. Sooooo good.

• Upvote 1