Position Group Rankings Part 1 - Defensive Line

BillySee58

17 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Hey guys. I'm starting a little series that will lead up to spring ball. I'm going to be ranking our 7 position groups from 1 to 7 in order of which groups I expect to be the strongest heading into spring ball, and leading into the season. 1 being our best group IMO, on down. Also going to go in depth on the players and signings we expect to have here in August. First up is the defensive line.

Losses: DE Chad Polk, DT Austin Orr

Top Returners: Sr DE Jarrian Roberts, Sr DE Malik Dilonga, Sr DT Sir Calvin Wallace, So DT Rod Young

Additions: JUCO DE Josh Wheeler (on campus), HS DE Joseph Ozougwu (Grayshirt - on campus), Transfer Fr Bryce English (on campus - may have to sit out this season)

Other returning players: Jr DE Tillman Johnson, Sr DE Jareid Combs, Jr DE Andy Flusche, Jr DT Syd Moore, So DT TJ Tauaalo, Fr DT RD Wegmann

Last year was incredibly rough, so our defense didn't have any real bright spots as far as units, but did have a few individuals as bright spots. Jarrian Roberts and Rod Young's true freshman performance qualified.

Jareid Combs disappointed with failing to get a sack, but it usually takes JUCOs a year to get acclimated. As such, if Josh Wheeler can crack an experienced DE rotation then that's good news for our team. Tillman Johnson also had a rough, injury-plagued year but I have a lot of confidence in his ability and I think he takes a starting spot with the new staff.

Just like most of our position groups, we're going to see a lot of familiar faces, however, it's also guys who couldn't do enough to help us win more than one game. What I like about this position group is that it's one of our deeper groups. There's a good mix of experience and wildcards like Syd Moore and Jareid Combs. With a new staff there will be a lot of competition, so I think we see a decent starting four emerge with some experienced rotational guys.

Position group rank: 4th

When you ranked the DL 4th, were you including English, or no?

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When you ranked the DL 4th, were you including English, or no?

No, but I don't think I'd move them up a spot if he were eligible. As it is, he's a redshirt freshman in his first year with the program. I think he could help this year, possibly even start. Don't think it's likely he'd be a difference maker right off the bat.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

Julius Combes is a walk on, so him being a factor next year is doubtful.  

There are a lot of lettermen back, so NT has quantity; quality might be a different story.   I agree both Roberts and Young had good years at least compared to the rest of the dl.   Jareid Combs came on a little in late season.   Johnson and Moore more or less disappeared and had disappointing seasons when compared to the year before.   May have been injury related, but they have demonstrated some talent.   Sr. year for Wallace and Dilonga, time for them to contribute more.   Wallace had some good plays but was not consistent.   Orr was easily the best interior defensive lineman last year, having a much better senior year than expected.   Hopefully, Wallace and Dilonga can have similar senior years.   TJ Tauaalo also played a lot and showed promise. 

I think NT can have a middle of the pack CUSA defensive line next year with a lot of depth and probably no real standouts.  My guess at starters: Combs and Roberts on the outside and Young and Wallace in the middle.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I noticed that Mustafa Haboul is off the official roster. Does anyone know what happened here? Also you didn't mention the other Combs......Julius. He's still on the official roster. Any assessment of his first year?

He had a knee injury this year, and he just graduated. I saw his name removed towards the end of the year. Didn't ask if it was because of the injury or maybe he just was happy with his degree and going on from there.

As for Julius Combes, I only included scholarship players. He's a promising walkon, but all he's done here is redshirt. As for any walkon, you really don't project them playing much until they first actually prove it and make it on the field.

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

He had a knee injury this year, and he just graduated. I saw his name removed towards the end of the year. Didn't ask if it was because of the injury or maybe he just was happy with his degree and going on from there.

As for Julius Combes, I only included scholarship players. He's a promising walkon, but all he's done here is redshirt. As for any walkon, you really don't project them playing much until they first actually prove it and make it on the field.

Thanks, I wasn't sure of their status. In the case of Haboul, I'm guessing your right. He probably took his degree and moved on. In the case of Julius Combes, spring practice will be when he shows how serious he is about contributing to the team. It's always a "do over" in spring. Especially when you have a new coaching staff to impress. That's why I like spring practice more than fall practice.

• Upvote 2

Since the tight end position is basically going away, which of the three listed tight ends do you think can do well on the DL?  Kevin Dillman - 6'4” 249 RS Fr, Wylie Reinhardt - 6'4" 261 Sr and Kelvin Smith 6'2" 252 RS Fr.  I don't know what kind of speed Dillman has to be moved to inside receiver, but his strength and size seem ideal for a DE.  Thoughts?

• Upvote 3

On 2/6/2016 at 0:18 PM, Green Crazy said:

Since the tight end position is basically going away, which of the three listed tight ends do you think can do well on the DL?  Kevin Dillman - 6'4” 249 RS Fr, Wylie Reinhardt - 6'4" 261 Sr and Kelvin Smith 6'2" 252 RS Fr.  I don't know what kind of speed Dillman has to be moved to inside receiver, but his strength and size seem ideal for a DE.  Thoughts?

No TE? Hmmm, this offense is sounding like Dodge II. Does this new offense use an H-back/FB? If so, I would give him a try there. But only after he was evaluated as a QB. If he was good enough to attract Nebraska when he was a Junior, then he must still have something to offer at that position.