1 hour ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

If we can't win six games with this schedule, the P5s are right to leave schools like ours behind.

Don't like that four of the last six are on the road, and with no bye, but....

To me, the die will be cast in the first month.  If we can't beat SMU and Rice, it will be a long season.  Coming out of September 1-3 would not be a good sign.  If so, chalk up a 3 or 4 win season at best.

We really need some injury breaks to fall our way in 2016 - as in, we can't have any key players injured because of our lack of depth.

I don't want to say I hope other school's player get injured, but you look at the luck OU had the last three weeks of their season, facing Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State without their starting QB...all in a row.  That was a freaking Christmas Miracle come early for the Sooners.  Perhaps, we get some luck this year.

Who do you see as sure wins, possible wins, and probable losses (not including Florida)? I see one sure win against BC, possible wins over SMU, @Army, @UTSA, and @UTEP, and the others as probable losses. With our track record on the road, as well as a dearth in talent, in no way could I feel comfortable predicting more than 2 wins, but I certainly don't think that we get more than 3. That schedule, for our current G5 program, is brutality. Should it be? No. But it just is, right now.

Its also a bigger reason why I feel like we will see improvement in 2017 and 2018. We will have SMU, Army, P5 bodybag, and FCS bought game, plus the CUSA West, and three much weaker teams from CUSA East (some combo of F_Us, Charlotte, and Old Dominion). Now that's an easier schedule for us to compete against in the upcoming years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Who do you see as sure wins, possible wins, and probable losses (not including Florida)? I see one sure win against BC, possible wins over SMU, @Army, @UTSA, and @UTEP, and the others as probable losses. With our track record on the road, as well as a dearth in talent, in no way could I feel comfortable predicting more than 2 wins, but I certainly don't think that we get more than 3. That schedule, for our current G5 program, is brutality. Should it be? No. But it just is, right now.

Its also a bigger reason why I feel like we will see improvement in 2017 and 2018. We will have SMU, Army, P5 bodybag, and FCS bought game, plus the CUSA West, and three much weaker teams from CUSA East (some combo of F_Us, Charlotte, and Old Dominion). Now that's an easier schedule for us to compete against in the upcoming years.

I would probably consider @Rice a better shot at a win than @UTEP.  We were lucky we didn't have to face Aaron Jones... and we still lost.   The guy went down with a season-ending injury during their 2nd game and was still an honorable-mention all-conference guy.  That's how dynamic he is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would probably consider @Rice a better shot at a win than @UTEP.  We were lucky we didn't have to face Aaron Jones... and we still lost.   The guy went down with a season-ending injury during their 2nd game and was still an honorable-mention all-conference guy.  That's how dynamic he is.

Fair enough...but all I know is that playing at Rice has never produced a close game for our team in the last decade. We have gotten beat anywhere from bad to "OMG, are you still a FBS program in Texas?" bad (77-20, 2008, when Rice literally quit trying after the 3rd quarter and never scored again...).

But you are right, UTEP may just be better than Rice. I don't see us winning either game, but we have been closer to UTEP recently, than we have Rice...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Fair enough...but all I know is that playing at Rice has never produced a close game for our team in the last decade. We have gotten beat anywhere from bad to "OMG, are you still a FBS program in Texas?" bad (77-20, 2008, when Rice literally quit trying after the 3rd quarter and never scored again...).

But you are right, UTEP may just be better than Rice. I don't see us winning either game, but we have been closer to UTEP recently, than we have Rice...

Uh oh.   Better check the thread title homie.  You're about to get neg'd to oblivion (and none of them are from me).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, flyonthewall said:

I quit giving minuses.  Only plus 1 or say nothing.  "Praise in public, criticize in private "

Because if you lie in public, we can trust you to tell the truth in private?...

It's great if that's what you actually do. Let's just say I have my doubts, especially where Rick Villarreal is concerned. 

Oh, and as stated many times before, many of us don't have the money to be able to "criticize in private," so...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

24 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The only sure win I see is Bethune-Cookman ... although, they did go 9-2 last season.  Only upper level opponents was Miami, who beat them 45-0.  Still, if we can't beat Bethune-Cookman, we don't really belong at even G5.  I don't care who is on the roster or what was "left over" from the other coaching staff.  If we can't compete, we can't compete.  A loss here would be a gigantic leap backward.

Game we should win:  SMU, Rice, UTSA, Army, and UTEP.  There is no reason to not have the same talent as these...and more.  SMU, Rice, and Army all have more stringent academic requirements.  UTSA and UTEP are just ... what they are:  garbage.  We go 2-3, 1-4, or 0-5 against those five and, again ... perhaps we're Southland Conference material after all.

That's six wins.  I don't see us having as much talent on the field or on the sidelines (depth as well as coaching experience) as the other six.

Unlike many others, I feel we are at a point in time history-wise with the NCAA where we can't begin giving away "free seasons."  Many have stated here already that 2016 is a "free pass" for Littrell.  That kind of mindset is nauseating.  And it is why our program is where it is.

Look at the bright side: we'd have one of the best FCS stadiums in the country.  And, the national title is played just up the road in Frisco.  Home field advantage for us when North Dakota State rolls in to play for their 12th national title in a row.

• Upvote 1

We won't beat SMU, UTSA, or Army. Only SMU is at Apogee, and they are more talented than UNT. 

UNT is a terrible road team. This year won't be any different. They MAY get a win at either UTSA or Rice, but could lose both. Since we are being optimistic, I'll say we beat Rice.

Army will run for 400 plus on UNT's defense. You heard it here first. That game won't be close. 

UTEP is better than us this year and have a huge home field advantage. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

32 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

We won't beat SMU, UTSA, or Army. Only SMU is at Apogee, and they are more talented than UNT. 

UNT is a terrible road team. This year won't be any different. They MAY get a win at either UTSA or Rice, but could lose both. Since we are being optimistic, I'll say we beat Rice.

Army will run for 400 plus on UNT's defense. You heard it here first. That game won't be close. 

UTEP is better than us this year and have a huge home field advantage. 

I will say this about may or may not beating SMU...If our offense was just average, we would've won last year.  The offense kept going 3 & out and it eventually started to affect the D.  SMU was not really improved from 2014 IMO.  They just added a nifty QB that could make things happen from nothing.

Army runs 400+ every game.  Thats just what they do.  And if we can't beat a team that has an average of 3 wins every year.. pass me the Titos.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

good golly Army rushes over 50 times per game. 

but they pass 9 times per game??

And we will not be good against the run next year. 

Also, shouldn't these stats be reversed for Air Force?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

I don't have any information that any one else here doesn't have.  I didn't go to the recruiting thing, but from all accounts it was heavily attended, as was basketball last night.  You are only punishing yourself by staying away.

Have fun throwing internet rocks from your outpost there in Granbury and singing the same.........tired.........old.........song........

I was at the game. I would not characterize it as being heavily attended.

8 hours ago, Cerebus said:

My God if you've lost us that Jimmy Johns endorsement I'll never forgive you...

I think you're good.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

UNT is a terrible road team.

While I don't expect much this year because we'll still be suffering from a lack of talent hangover, this particular point is one that I hold hope greatly improves.  I don't know what it was about Mac and road games, but he just didn't seem to be able to win them.  Hopefully this new staff will have whatever intangible to change that.

21 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

And have fun with your new club seat agreement.

I re-read my original club agreement a few times.  The only thing they can really do on these new things is increase the annual minimum mean green club donation.  Based on nothing more than pure speculation, I imagine they'll do the 3-4-5 year thing like they're doing with the suites, and the minimum will decrease with each year we go out.

The only thing that will miff me is if they impose an increase on the 2016 season since I already renewed in December based on what I thought was the appropriate amount because the athletic department solicited me to do so.

I budget for this thing annually, so an increase this year will be a bit of an inconvenience, and leave a bad taste in my mouth.  If they want to increase it going forward, and they give me sufficient notice to budget for that, then assuming it's not suddenly many thousands of dollars, I'll probably be ok with it.  

Hell, it could even be a blessing because it could potentially give me rights to purchase floor seats for basketball, which is something I would marginally consider if performance were to improve. You know basketball even in the best of times isn't exactly my preferred sport, but I'd at least consider it.

But if they solicited renewal two months ago, and now tell me that wasn't enough, that's really going to suck a lot.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

While I don't expect much this year because we'll still be suffering from a lack of talent hangover, this particular point is one that I hold hope greatly improves.  I don't know what it was about Mac and road games, but he just didn't seem to be able to win them.  Hopefully this new staff will have whatever intangible to change that.

I re-read my original club agreement a few times.  The only thing they can really do on these new things is increase the annual minimum mean green club donation.  Based on nothing more than pure speculation, I imagine they'll do the 3-4-5 year thing like they're doing with the suites, and the minimum will decrease with each year we go out.

The only thing that will miff me is if they impose an increase on the 2016 season since I already renewed in December based on what I thought was the appropriate amount because the athletic department solicited me to do so.

I budget for this thing annually, so an increase this year will be a bit of an inconvenience, and leave a bad taste in my mouth.  If they want to increase it going forward, and they give me sufficient notice to budget for that, then assuming it's not suddenly many thousands of dollars, I'll probably be ok with it.  

Hell, it could even be a blessing because it could potentially give me rights to purchase floor seats for basketball, which is something I would marginally consider if performance were to improve. You know basketball even in the best of times isn't exactly my preferred sport, but I'd at least consider it.

But if they solicited renewal two months ago, and now tell me that wasn't enough, that's really going to suck a lot.

Last year RV gave us 5 home games, no game on opening day, yet another home game on Texas/OU weekend, the worst loss in modern FBS football history, and terrible game time starts throughout the year.

And the team was awful. The worst team in FBS. 

Attendance average was 13k, the lowest since Apogee was opened.

A smart organization would realize this isn't the time to increase the cost on ANYONE to attend football games. They are making a big mistake if they think they can hold club seat holders hostage because of the initial investment. Raising prices will drive some  away, and I doubt there is much of a market for what those fans will walk away from this year. 

But if there is one thing you can count on from UNT, it's that they will ALWAYS do the wrong thing when it comes to athletics. I doubt this will be any different.

#itsallajoke

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Last year RV gave us 5 home games, no game on opening day, yet another home game on Texas/OU weekend, the worst loss in modern FBS football history, and terrible game time starts throughout the year.

And the team was awful. The worst team in FBS. 

Attendance average was 13k, the lowest since Apogee was opened.

A smart organization would realize this isn't the time to increase the cost on ANYONE to attend football games. They are making a big mistake if they think they can hold club seat holders hostage because of the initial investment. Raising prices will drive some  away, and I doubt there is much of a market for what those fans will walk away from this year. 

But if there is one thing you can count on from UNT, it's that they will ALWAYS do the wrong thing when it comes to athletics. I doubt this will be any different.

#itsallajoke

If on the scale of love for the athletic department  from 1 to 10, you're a -1 and KRAM is an 11, I reside somewhere in the 5 range.  The wins and losses aren't as unconditionally important to me because I enjoy the entire day.  Basically, neither outlier is going to get me to join the fun times of extremities.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

If on the scale of love for the athletic department  from 1 to 10, you're a -1 and KRAM is an 11, I reside somewhere in the 5 range.  The wins and losses aren't as unconditionally important to me because I enjoy the entire day.  Basically, neither outlier is going to get me to join the fun times of extremities.

And yours is probably the appropriate attitude to take towards UNT sports. Just go for the tailgating and fellowship and don't expect the actual football played to get anywhere near the potential that the program actually possesses. 

I really really really wish I could do that. I mean it. It just burns me up to see half assed effort, and UNT doesn't even get that from its AD.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Why 11?

On 2/4/2016 at 2:39 PM, Aldo said:

How's the weather in West Point in October? Never been.

We played up there in the snow years ago. The area is absolutely gorgeous. 

On 2/4/2016 at 2:22 PM, Harry said:

1).  SMU might actually bring a good crowd this year?  Year two of Morris?  Any takers?

2).  Nice to open the season with a home game against a rival.  There will be a lot of good back and forth.  It's a great statement opportunity for Littrell.

3).  We actually have a bye in the middle of the year where it could help.

4).  Home schedule is a big improvement with SMU, La. Tech, Marshall and Southern Miss in Apogee. 

5).  We actually get to start the season when everyone else does.

6). Only one body bag game with Florida.  WKU, Marshall and Tech will be tough but 2 of the 3 are at home.

2016 North Texas Football Schedule

Sept. 3 SMU
Sept. 10 BETHUNE-COOKMAN
Sept. 17 at Florida
Sept. 24 at Rice
Oct. 1 MIDDLE TENNESSEE
Oct. 8 MARSHALL
Oct. 15 bye
Oct. 22 at Army
Oct. 29 at UTSA
Nov. 5 LOUISIANA TECH
Nov. 12 at Western Kentucky
Nov. 19 SOUTHERN MISS
Nov. 26 at UTEP

Conference games in bold
Home games in CAPS

The SMU game will have a good turnout and it's actually week 1 which is much better. I can't say I'm at all excited about the second game though. All and all the schedule is way better than last year.

I do see us improving a lot over last season because the team quit on Mac and in the end Chico did too when he decided to clear the bench and intentionally lost a very winnable UTEP game. Plus, our new coaching staff will have energy and a modern era style of play. Hopefully we move the ball like I hope we can.

The schedule itself is much much better. We have a bye week that provides actual rest and from a fan perspective not having home games on Halloween or Thanksgiving is really good. The scheduling this season is polar opposite of the abomination that was last yeas schedule.

We have a real chance at a 2-1 start to the 2016 season.

Edited by UNTexas

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

The wins and losses aren't as unconditionally important to me because I enjoy the entire day.  

Believe me when I say that I am not calling you out, because I am not.  However you and I must be wired in different ways.

There is absolutely no way I can enjoy the day when we lose.  I hated losing from t ball.   I loved play sports growing up, but I am not sure if I ever enjoyed it, if we won that was great and all but the next game was coming up and we had better get ready for it.  If we lost it was agony.

The last decade following this team has been torture, with brief respite in the HoD Bowl year.  If you can enjoy a day where a 1AA team comes in and kicks our teeth in then I envy you, but I wanted to throw up.

• Upvote 2