Signing Day Event

KRAM1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Fun event. The time should have been 7-9. 5 o'clock start time is not logical. 

Then I would've gotten home around midnight.  Frankly, I liked the earlier start time.  I was able to visit for awhile with friends and coaching staff and still be home before ten.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

yet it seemingly resulted in a larger turnout... 

Cause of old people. Not a complaint, just an observation that a large contingency of fans were much much older. We felt to be the youngest there. Had to take time off work to get there on time.

We need to get a larger base of younger butts at these events, in order to get a broader and longer-term monetary base.

But not to take away from the event, there were HUNDREDS of people in attendance.

Was fun to meet new people.

You can tell SL is a family man. We went up in the elevator with him to the event, and he was aw-ing over my 5 week old.

And I can say I was at a party with NFLers.

Edit: Oh and there were several HS coaches there with some of their players. Couldn't tell if bball or fball.

• Upvote 4

A 5pm start time makes the best sense. I go to lots of afterwork events around the Metroplex and they almost ALWAYS start at 5 or 5:30pm. Events with the Ft Worth Chamber of Commerce, Dallas Business Club (association of MBAs from across the metroplex), Baylor alumni rallies (got my MBA there so I'm on their list), community out reach events, and many other things. You schedule right after work so people can go and then get home for dinner. No matter when you schedule, someone won't be able to make it. Go with when your core group can get there and for the vast majority that's 5 or 5:30 so you can still get home before your kids go to sleep. 

The fact it had what appears to be record turnout means it wasn't just convenient for the staff but for a record number of interested alumni as well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Cause of old people. Not a complaint, just an observation that a large contingency of fans were much much older. We felt to be the youngest there. Had to take time off work to get there on time.

Not hating on the elders, but when we go to these events, or tailgating events at away games, I am almost always the only one with a 2 in front of my age who is not employed by the school or MGC.

Hoping students and young alumni will start getting more involved with the new regime!

• Upvote 5

On February 4, 2016 at 8:37 AM, FirefightnRick said:

Again...the most important thing is that AD staff got home asap.  Nothing else matters more than their needs.

Rick

With all due respect of everyone's point of view about the time I have 2 points.

1. This is a ONCE A YEAR EVENT so AD Staff suck it up and at least push it back to 6:00 PM (so you do the time math with the typical end of work day coming at 4:00 - 5:00 pm)

2. Most local young alumni with the disposal income to support the program work at least 45 minutes south of Denton.  (So please stop comparing UNT to SMU, TCU, Texas Tech and Baylor in that regard)

If you don't have a young working fanbase you have a dying, shrinking fanbase.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

With all due respect of everyone's point of view about the time I have 2 points.

1. This is a ONCE A YEAR EVENT so AD Staff suck it up and at least push it back to 6:00 PM (so you do the time math with the typical end of work day coming at 4:00 - 5:00 pm)

2. Most local young alumni with the disposal income to support the program work at least 45 minutes south of Denton.  (So please stop comparing UNT to SMU, TCU, Texas Tech and Baylor in that regard)

If you don't have a young working fanbase you have a dying, shrinking fanbase.

Funny.

I still think this whole Mike Jackson thing is a bit.  Possibly by @UNT90 when he decided to stop replying to his own replies.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Funny.

I still think this whole Mike Jackson thing is a bit.  Possibly by @UNT90 when he decided to stop replying to his own replies.

Maybe, maybe not. Valid points though. It's a once a year event that should have been pushed back to at least 6, if not 7PM. There was no reason to have it from 5-7. If there was one, please, anyone elaborate to the genpop to what it was. Though the turnout was good, the turnout could have been overwhelmingly good with a better timetable. 

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Maybe, maybe not. Valid points though. It's a once a year event that should have been pushed back to at least 6, if not 7PM. There was no reason to have it from 5-7. If there was one, please, anyone elaborate to the genpop to what it was. Though the turnout was good, the turnout could have been overwhelmingly good with a better timetable. 

Yes, there is a reason to have from 5 or 5:30 to 7 and it has nothing at all to do with the employees of the athletic office. People would stop by on their way home before dinner. Sliding it to after 6 eliminate a LOT of people. Changing the time to later would NOT increase the total crowd as you then lose a number of the people who did come at 5. 

The University finally does something like a real Division 1 FBS school and the complaint is we shouldn't be compared to other Division 1 FBS schools. Seriously? There was ample early announcement of the event. If someone really wanted to go, they had time to arrange it even if it meant changing a work schedule. They who really wanted to go did and there was a record turn out. Those who didn't really want to go enough to arrange it didn't go. 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Yes, there is a reason to have from 5 or 5:30 to 7 and it has nothing at all to do with the employees of the athletic office. People would stop by on their way home before dinner. Sliding it to after 6 eliminate a LOT of people. Changing the time to later would NOT increase the total crowd as you then lose a number of the people who did come at 5. 

The University finally does something like a real Division 1 FBS school and the complaint is we shouldn't be compared to other Division 1 FBS schools. Seriously? There was ample early announcement of the event. If someone really wanted to go, they had time to arrange it even if it meant changing a work schedule. They who really wanted to go did and there was a record turn out. Those who didn't really want to go enough to arrange it didn't go. 

I understand your view. I took off from work early to make it because I wanted to. I have the luxury to do so. A lot of people may not and probably do not. I think the working group of people that actually work and live in the DFW metroplex would have made an honest effort to come out if the time would have been a little more reasonable. It has been noted on here by several, the crowd was the older crowd by a long shot. I had buddies that wanted to make it, but didn't because they live and work in the DFW area and couldn't get away from work. Again, I live and work in Denton so it was made easy for me. But I do understand what you are saying, the people that really wanted to make it will make it as it goes for everything. However, starting events at 5 does not classify us as doing something "like a real D1 FBS school." 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Funny.

No sock puppets from me, my friend.

And with people like you around, I'll never have to worry about talking to myself in this forum.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I understand your view. I took off from work early to make it because I wanted to. I have the luxury to do so. A lot of people may not and probably do not. I think the working group of people that actually work and live in the DFW metroplex would have made an honest effort to come out if the time would have been a little more reasonable. It has been noted on here by several, the crowd was the older crowd by a long shot. I had buddies that wanted to make it, but didn't because they live and work in the DFW area and couldn't get away from work. Again, I live and work in Denton so it was made easy for me. But I do understand what you are saying, the people that really wanted to make it will make it as it goes for everything. However, starting events at 5 does not classify us as doing something "like a real D1 FBS school." 

If your not trying to grow your fanbase outside of people who live and work in Denton it makes perfect sense.  Hence part of the reason the growth of the program is stagnant and declining.   I live in the Mid-Cities and work in Dallas so any alumni that wanted to attend but even 1% on the fence aren't coming to a weekday event that starts at 5:00 pm in Denton.   It is just bad marketing plain and simple.  The 5:00 pm start time is not the optimal start time any way you look at it.   With all due respect to older long suffering loyal Mean Green supporters this program is going to have to do things differently keeping young Dallas County, Collin County, and Tarrant County families in mind.  If the first time a local recruit has an experience on the UNT campus is when s/he a junior in high school the university has lost an opportunity to make in roads.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It is amazing to me that this fanbase will always find something to bitch about.  People complained when it was 7pm it ended too late, now when it is moved earlier people complain about not being able to get there on time.  Unfortunately, you can't please everyone, so you pick a time where you think most will attend.  Someone always gets left out.  Sounds like, based on attendance, that this was a time where more could attend.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It is amazing to me that this fanbase will always find something to bitch about.  People complained when it was 7pm it ended too late, now when it is moved earlier people complain about not being able to get there on time.  Unfortunately, you can't please everyone, so you pick a time where you think most will attend.  Someone always gets left out.  Sounds like, based on attendance, that this was a time where more could attend.

It's amazing to me that you don't understand that this wouldn't matter if we won at any sport that a majority of alums care about. We don't.

Therefore things like this get magnified. And they should. 

What people are really bitching about is really bad losing football 10 of the last 11 seasons. 7 of those seasons 3 wins or less. It just comes out in frustration with things like this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

All I can say is that I couldnt get off until 5:30 and made it there by 6:15.  Missed everything, when I walked around I saw max 10 people in their 20's not with the football team/ school.  

You didn't miss much. If you go back and watch this (go to minute 29:00) you'll get what was basically mentioned during the event with the exception of the (brief) introduction of the coaching staff.

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

It's amazing to me that you don't understand that this wouldn't matter if we won at any sport that a majority of alums care about. We don't.

Therefore things like this get magnified. And they should. 

What people are really bitching about is really bad losing football 10 of the last 11 seasons. 7 of those seasons 3 wins or less. It just comes out in frustration with things like this.

You love you some me, don't you. Oh, and your response is idiotic at best and doesn't address anything I said. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

You didn't miss much. If you go back and watch this (go to minute 29:00) you'll get what was basically mentioned during the event with the exception of the (brief) introduction of the coaching staff.

True.  But, this was billed as a meet and greet...not a speech.  Coach  Littrell had said he did not want to get up there and do a lot of talking.  He wanted to meet and talk to the supporter so and he wanted folks to meeting is staff a and talk with them.  So, we got a short recruiting recap and some general info in a sit down with Dave sort of thing.  You will notice that neithe RV nor Dr. Smatresk spoke.

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly, and back when events started at 7 the complaint was they ended too late for kids who need to be in bed. 

As I said, those who wanted to come badly enough to make adjustments in their schedules to come did. Those who didn't want too come enough are not going to make the effort no matter what the time. 

UNT90 is correct in that if the football team had been winning for the last 10 years, people wouldn't be AS bothered. What UNT90 conveniently ignores is you can't win any football games in February but you can try to build excitement about a new coaching staff and recruits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1