Signing Day Event

KRAM1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

UNT90 is correct in that if the football team had been winning for the last 10 years, people wouldn't be AS bothered. What UNT90 conveniently ignores is you can't win any football games in February but you can try to build excitement about a new coaching staff and recruits. 

You win a lot of football games in February. That's when you sign the players you need to do it. An argument can be made that most if not all of your games are won in February. 

As for excitement over a new coach, well, meet the new boss, same as the old boss. And that old boss still collects a check. I expect very little as long as he does. I feel for the coaching staff. They will experience what turned Dickey sour, what made Mac give up. I doubt they are prepared for what is ahead.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

14 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You win a lot of football games in February. That's when you sign the players you need to do it. An argument can be made that most if not all of your games are won in February. 

As for excitement over a new coach, well, meet the new boss, same as the old boss. And that old boss still collects a check. I expect very little as long as he does. I feel for the coaching staff. They will experience what turned Dickey sour, what made Mac give up. I doubt they are prepared for what is ahead.

I'm waiting for the Willie Fritz part... I recommend 1) Big Willie Style or 2) Puttin' on the Fritz

• Upvote 2

On February 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM, greenit said:

This is a once a year event. Plan for it if it is that important to you. This is not the only opportunity to meet the staff. 

This won't be the only event poorly planned and not the only event I have ever attended so I have first hand experience.  You are putting the responsibility of access to your product on the consumer?  Great strategy, now tell me when was the last time UNT had a sellout?  It isn't all just scheduling and winning.  If that were the case the September 2014 SMU game would have been a sellout.  The annual coaches caravan is pretty good but those events do not give you chance to meet and greet brand new recruits.  It is just flat out dumb to have an event at 5:00 pm on a weekday in Denton.  So yes if you are just catering to die hards you don't have to court then fine.  This program is not in a position to do things like that.  You can dislike what I am saying all day but it doesn't make it any less relevant.  Conversely I think a start time any later than 6:30 pm would be bad also.  The time I am suggesting is best for most demographics an athletic department in this market should be pursuing.  So it is not about about me, UNT90, KRAM1, Dr Seus or anyone who cares enough to comment on GMG.  It for busy young alumni with families who care enough to look at GMG once in a while but don't want take time off to be in Denton at 5:00 PM.  So many of us here are way too myopic when it comes to the Mean Green program.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

This won't be the only event poorly planned and not the only event I have ever attend so I have first hand experience.  You are putting the responsibility of access to your product on the consumer?  Great strategy, now tell me when was the last time UNT had a sellout?  It isn't all just scheduling and winning.  If that were the case the September 2014 SMU game would have been a sellout.  The annual coaches caravan is pretty good but those events do not give you chance to meet and greet brand new recruits.  It is just flat out dumb to have an event at 5:00 pm on a weekday in Denton.  So yes if you are just catering to die hards you don't have to court then fine.  This program is not in a position to do things like that.  You can dislike what I am saying all day but it doesn't make it any less relevant.  Conversely I think a start time any later than 6:30 pm would be bad also.  The time I am suggesting is best for most demographics an athletic department in this market should be pursuing.  So it is not about about me, UNT90, KRAM1, Dr Seus or anyone who cares enough to comment on GMG.  It for busy young alumni with families who care enough to look at GMG once in a while but don't want take time off to be in Denton at 5:00 PM.  So many of us here are way too myopic when it comes to the Mean Green program.

These events are carefully planned to include the club of 17 and like minded individuals and exclude everyone else. 

Club sports at its finest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7