Signing Day Event

KRAM1

46 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Wow!  What a great turnout for the event tonight and the "feel" was very positive.  One attendee estimated 1000 in attendance.  While that may be high, the place was really full.  There were appetizer stations set up around the room and two cash bar areas.  I think that worked well to give more room in the middle of the room and kept folks from just hanging around a big buffet table in the middle of the room.  The TV's were showing recruit highlights,and the coaches were available to meet and greet.  Coach Littrell spoke and introduced his staff...at one point his young daughter wondered up on the stage...maybe about 2-3 years old ... Followed shortly by her older brother about 5 years old.  I loved that and it was great to have his family with us as well tonight.  Dr. Smatresk, Dr. Wolf, Dr. McCoy, Elizabeth With, Rob  McInterf and Provost Graves were in attendance as well as Coach Benford and several of his players along with new addition Keith Frazier.  I thought it was great to see the support from the basketball team and the university administration.  I am sure I left out some folks, so others who attended might fill in the blanks.

Coach Littrell did not review the signees other than to comment on the class as a whole.  So, like advertised, this was not the type of signing day event we have seen in the past.  I did notice from both the press conference and tonight's event that Coach Littrell does not seem 100% comfortable, in my opinion, behind a microphone as yet.  I will bet this changes pretty quickly as he does more and more of these type of events.

Overall, a fun event.  There were lots of fellow GMG.Com posters in attendance as well. Mean Green Club and Athletic Department personnel were there selling season tickets and working Mean Green Club renewals and new memberships.

Fun chatting with everyone.  

Hopefully, others in attendance can fill in additional info on the event.

I have never been to any of these type events simply because they don't really interest me, but from what you describe here along with what I am seeing on the social media/twitter front it is clear some things around here have changed and are changing and I might add for the much needed better.  No it doesn't bring wins, but it is nice to see.

• Upvote 5

I've been to a few of these before and pulling into the parking lot, I was surprised how full it was. When I got upstairs the room was packed and jumping with activity. Coaches, former FB players, AD staff, and even the Men's basketball team were present.

• Upvote 4

Amazing, last year was so bad they had video's of other student athletes begging for support, year before that they had a barley out of college student (female, valley girl) reading some boring speech regarding support for the mean green club, that's why I quit going...If this year was good, hats off to someone on Rick's staff. Look guys, this should be nothing but a cheer leading session about our football team and the new players; also, a preview of the up-coming season of 2016. Yet again, this comes down to the leadership of the AD; he does not understand putting on a good show. Go to the kick off meeting of the SMU or TCU, you'll see a completely different show.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I've been to a few of these before and pulling into the parking lot, I was surprised how full it was. When I got upstairs the room was packed and jumping with activity. Coaches, former FB players, AD staff, and even the Men's basketball team were present.

I remember a couple under Fouts with Dickey and coaches outnumbering the fans.  Dickey was one of my least favorite coaches, but he and the program deserved a lot better.    

• Upvote 5

Largest turnout to one of these events I've ever seen.  Coach L. is a very nice guy. He could, however, stand to take a course with Toastmasters. 

I had the opportunity to educate him on the origins of our famous moniker "Mean Green". As a follow up I'm sending him a copy of the Randy Galloway article about the origins of "mean green". He said he would use the story to motive his defense.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Wow!  What a great turnout for the event tonight and the "feel" was very positive.  One attendee estimated 1000 in attendance.  

Great event with a lot of folks.  I do wonder however if that attendee might be a graduate of SMU. 

Saw Delon Greene he said his dad could not make it.  For those who don't remember Delon he played For us back in 91-93.

Talked to Ricky Brice and he is ready to play tonight.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Fun event. The time should have been 7-9. 5 o'clock start time is not logical. 

While the turnout was awesome, it was largely due to university staff that was there.  The president brought his whole brigade.  This would not have happened if it were 7-9.

From a non university based fan, 7-9 is much better and I would prefer that ten times out of ten.  But with 5-7 being easier for the folks running the event, and with yesterday to point back to, I expect to see a lot more 5-7 in our future.

56 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

yet it seemingly resulted in a larger turnout... 

It was the university based folk who don't stick around for a 7pm start.

35 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Again...the most important thing is that AD staff got home asap.  Nothing else matters more than their needs.

Rick

And many will be working late tonight, and Saturday night ... 'cause you know ... sportz!

I doubt they left right at 7:05.  I bet it was closer to some time after 9:00. Had the event been from 7 - 9, it might have been closer to midnight before many got home.  Keep in mind, some of these folks might have been at work as early as 6 AM for National Signing Day.

Work/Life balance is overrated anyway.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Largest turnout to one of these events I've ever seen.  Coach L. is a very nice guy. He could however stand to take a course with Toastmasters. 

I had the opportunity to educate him on the origins of our famous moniker "Mean Green". As a follow up I'm sending him a copy of the Randy Galloway article about the origins of "mean green". He said he would use the story to motive his defense.

You referring to the Sidney Graham story from 1967 or the Willie Davis account from 1968.

Anyway, came across a Mean Joe Greene story from his time here about spraining his ankle. Seems more legend than reality but what a story:

There’s the time Greene sprained his ankle during his junior season, forcing him to wear a plaster boot and tote crutches around campus. One problem: There was a big party happening, and he wanted to be free of any boot-and-crutch impediments.

Joe Greene as a college football player at North Texas. (University of North Texas)

Joe Greene as a college football player at North Texas. (University of North Texas)

So he went into his shower, soaked the plaster, got out of the shower, reached into a drawer, pulled out a fork — not a knife, a fork — and cut off the cast. Problem solved; party, here I come.

• Upvote 1