comment on signing class

Big D

With the final addition of Johnson, I believe all of our known commits are accounted for.  

Now, we hold out hope for Bain coming through (I hope he's being recruited by LeBlanc), wait for potential fall-back guys who were hoping to sign at a P5 or somewhere else but got pushed out by last-minute flips, and late qualifiers, right?

Are we missing anyone else we knew about?

Otherwise, we're pocketing 6 scholarships to use next year on mid-term guys.

• Upvote 2

Mac did us no favors, I am hearing there were spots given up under Mac that didn't count until this signing class.  So the fault of the low number is not Littrell's.  Now we can focus on getting more production out of the guys we have.  And quite frankly, we need to review this entire roster and make sure everyone is contributing and working hard.  Too many guys dress out but don't produce on this roster right now.  That has to change.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Mac did us no favors, I am hearing there were spots given up under Mac that didn't count until this signing class.  So the fault of the low number is not Littrell's.  Now we can focus on getting more production out of the guys we have.  And quite frankly, we need to review this entire roster and make sure everyone is contributing and working hard.  Too many guys dress out but don't produce on this roster right now.  That has to change.

Explains the blueshirt offers and no offers to talented interested prospects. So does this mean there won't be any more transfers?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This has been my point all along for Coach Littrell. This roster is almost completely devoid of talented players. Maybe he can turn some of what is here into productive players, but his roster is full of offensive players built for an offense that is the polar opposite of his offense. His best QB of the future is seriously probably Dillman, nobody else on this roster. And the defense has no size or speed.

Its gonna take a long time to fix this. The class he just signed is ranked last by rivals for a reason. He just had to get what he could get for now, even if these guys end up just being practice guys. We are so far down in recruiting circles for HS talent that it's going to take this whole year just to get TX HS coaches to even know his name and what we are trying to do. If we are REALLY lucky, by 2017, we will see  some decent HS recruits make it to Denton, kids that have multiple FBS offers, not beating out FCS and D-2 schools like he just had to accept this time. The hole Mac left us in is probably twice the size that Dickey left Dodge, talent-wise and in recruiting circles. We just have to be patient and understand the pit he is trying to dig us out of. Littrell has his work cut out for him and he is gonna need all the help he can get. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This has been my point all along for Coach Littrell. This roster is almost completely devoid of talented players. Maybe he can turn some of what is here into productive players, but his roster is full of offensive players built for an offense that is the polar opposite of his offense. His best QB of the future is seriously probably Dillman, nobody else on this roster. And the defense has no size or speed.

Its gonna take a long time to fix this. The class he just signed is ranked last by rivals for a reason. He just had to get what he could get for now, even if these guys end up just being practice guys. We are so far down in recruiting circles for HS talent that it's going to take this whole year just to get TX HS coaches to even know his name and what we are trying to do. If we are REALLY lucky, by 2017, we will see  some decent HS recruits make it to Denton, kids that have multiple FBS offers, not beating out FCS and D-2 schools like he just had to accept this time. The hole Mac left us in is probably twice the size that Dickey left Dodge, talent-wise and in recruiting circles. We just have to be patient and understand the pit he is trying to dig us out of. Littrell has his work cut out for him and he is gonna need all the help he can get. 

Not to downplay your concerns, but I looked at the 247 site, and it has us ranked 114, at least ahead of Rice and Charlotte, and only crediting us with 17 recruits (no credit for English and Morris?).  Yeah, we were in a deep hole, but I'm just saying.  I guess the main problem I saw with Mac and his staff was basically indifference to the passing game.  Since McNulty and (apparently) Josh (sorry I can't even remember his last name) are gone, maybe we can get something started that resembles modern football.  I never expect to us get a turnover so close to their end zone as we did the first time we had the ball against SMU and run the ball up the middle 3 times.

And I'm really not sure if being unable to remember Josh's last name is a good or bad thing.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

Not to downplay your concerns, but I looked at the 247 site, and it has us ranked 114, at least ahead of Rice and Charlotte, and only crediting us with 17 recruits (no credit for English and Morris?).  Yeah, we were in a deep hole, but I'm just saying.  I guess the main problem I saw with Mac and his staff was basically indifference to the passing game.  Since McNulty and (apparently) Josh (sorry I can't even remember his last name) are gone, maybe we can get something started that resembles modern football.  I never expect to us get a turnover so close to their end zone as we did the first time we had the ball against SMU and run the ball up the middle 3 times.

And I'm really not sure if being unable to remember Josh's last name is a good or bad thing.

Greer

1 minute ago, KRAM1 said:

Greer

Thanks Mark, and I had nothing against the young man, but never could understand why we had some of the guys we did playing quarterback.  It seems like there's a tendency to dismiss any efforts that others made, but darn, we had a guy, Brent Osborn, who could move the ball, but when he did got pulled out of the game.  I just think that maybe Mac was an unrecognized Dinosaur, and couldn't understand the Pteradactyl.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The reason that Rivals rated us last is twofold.  

Rivals only rated 9 of 15 signees.  One of those, Cokley, ended up signing with Abilene Christian.  They finally listed our other signees but did not include them in the ratings.  They were so sloppy that they included a Texas State commit but they didn't include him in our standings so I guess there's no harm.  

But, most of all they give us the crappiest of ratings.  They only gave one recruit, William Johnson, a three-star rating.  Five players received 3* ratings from 247.  The real travesty was that Bussey, Hamilton, and Hayes each received a 5.2 rating each.  That's basically as low as they give to a FBS recruit.  All three received 3* ratings from 247.  All of the other three rating services gave Nic Smith a three-star rating except Rivals.  You guessed it....two stars from them.  

Who knows where we would rank if they gave a fair and honest evaluation and included the actual players that signed (excluding English, Morris and Ozougwu) but we certainly wouldn't have been last in the conference.

I'm a little disappointed in some choices but I believe that there are 10-12 difference-makers over the next 1-4 years.  Given the short amount of time and few staff for recruiting I think that they did pretty well.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

The reason that Rivals rated us last is twofold.  

Rivals only rated 9 of 15 signees.  One of those, Cokley, ended up signing with Abilene Christian.  They finally listed our other signees but did not include them in the ratings.  They were so sloppy that they included a Texas State commit but they didn't include him in our standings so I guess there's no harm.  

But, most of all they give us the crappiest of ratings.  They only gave one recruit, William Johnson, a three-star rating.  Five players received 3* ratings from 247.  The real travesty was that Bussey, Hamilton, and Hayes each received a 5.2 rating each.  That's basically as low as they give to a FBS recruit.  All three received 3* ratings from 247.  All of the other three rating services gave Nic Smith a three-star rating except Rivals.  You guessed it....two stars from them.  

Who knows where we would rank if they gave a fair and honest evaluation and included the actual players that signed (excluding English, Morris and Ozougwu) but we certainly wouldn't have been last in the conference.

I'm a little disappointed in some choices but I believe that there are 10-12 difference-makers over the next 1-4 years.  Given the short amount of time and few staff for recruiting I think that they did pretty well.

Ya! I mean we coulda gone from 128 to 118!!! 

Look, this is what it is, a not good class filled with JUCOs. Not a good recruiting start for Littrell. The most we can hope for is the groundwork has been laid for a much better recruiting class next year.

That is when we will get a full evaluation of this staff's ability to recruit, but early returns are not promising.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Ya! I mean we coulda gone from 128 to 118!!! 

Look, this is what it is, a not good class filled with JUCOs. Not a good recruiting start for Littrell. The most we can hope for is the groundwork has been laid for a much better recruiting class next year.

That is when we will get a full evaluation of this staff's ability to recruit, but early returns are not promising.

Think logically then repost. Seth Littrell inherited THE worst possible situation that college football has to offer. Think about that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

With just a very short time period, to me the coaching staff did a pretty good job. I mean With all the negative talk about NT football why would a HS player want to come here if he's got other offers from anybody. And you know the negatives were a great recruiting tool against NT.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Think logically then repost. Seth Littrell inherited THE worst possible situation that college football has to offer. Think about that. 

Says something about leadership when this was the same comment used when Dodge was hired, then when DMac was hired (proven false by 2013 season), and then now with Littrell

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Harry said:

Not "spots"... just one: Ozougwu.  Everyone else counts on previous classes.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
clarifying my comment by bolding Harry's comment

17 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Says something about leadership when this was the same comment used when Dodge was hired, then when DMac was hired (proven false by 2013 season), and then now with Littrell

Nope... Not at all. This situation was way worse. Littrel did the best he could, presented with the impossible.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Actually, I think the UTSA coach inherited a much worse situation than Littrell and did just as well. 

Take off those green sun glasses. They are blinding you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4