In Denton, 'Mean' Joe Greene and The Kid reunite to talk about beloved Coke ad

Harry

To any child of the 1970s, it still ranks as The Greatest Ad Ever: Mean Joe Greene swapping his Steelers jersey for some kid's bottled soft drink. Have a Coke and a smile ... and a good cry, why don't ya.

The award-winning "Hey, Kid, Catch!" spot made its bow in the fall of '79, then found its way into the ad lineup during the Steelers-Rams Super Bowl in January 1980. Ever since it's been known as The Greatest Super Bowl Ad Ever -- hence its inclusion in CBS's Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials 2016, which airs Feb. 2. 

For that particular special, the network's done something really special, reuniting North Texas State University's star defensive tackle with The Kid (Tommy Okon) for a chitchat about the ad.  Their meeting takes place in a sorta-familiar spot for Mean Joe: Apogee Stadium in Denton. (Aw, Fouts Field.)

read more:  http://www.guidelive.com/tv/2016/01/28/denton-mean-joe-greene-kid-reunite-talk-beloved-coke-ad

Just now, Army of Dad said:

We do?

I think Todd Dodge must have been feeding his players lots of cokes or something.  I'm just guessing it had something to do with the better husbands or fathers thing, a way to keep them away from the hard stuff.  I guess in the end that strategy backfired and one of our players left due to 'diabetes issues'.  It's an epidemic really. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stan R said:

I think Todd Dodge must have been feeding his players lots of cokes or something.  I'm just guessing it had something to do with the better husbands or fathers thing, a way to keep them away from the hard stuff.  I guess in the end that strategy backfired and one of our players left due to 'diabetes issues'.  It's an epidemic really. 

I heard SMU healed one of those diabetics, though, of his issues...I'm sure it had nothing to do with University Park and Southlake being nothing like Denton, though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I heard SMU healed one of those diabetics, though, of his issues...I'm sure it had nothing to do with University Park and Southlake being nothing like Denton, though.

Oh right you're referring to "The Miracle".  Such the darned thing that happened there.  He was completely symptom free after stepping foot in University Park.  Healin' powers I tell ya, Healin' powers.