CNN Article on QB Mason Fine.

medpilot21

Instead of bitching about this guys low rating, maybe we better worry about somebody else snatching him up.

The Bleacher Report link was on CNN's front page.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2587478-how-record-setting-qb-with-video-game-numbers-finally-landed-fbs-offer?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

PS-This guy could also be a late bloomer as far as growth goes.   He needs a few extra pounds and that can be achieved pretty easily with a good strength program.

Apologies to MedPilot21.....I did look to see if this was posted already and missed yours.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

He was Mr Football in Oklahoma. Everyone else already knows about him. 

This isnt 1965.

Mr Football in Oklahoma is like being a one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

I never heard of him until he signed with us.   Even had he not signed with us, I would have read the CNN article today and found out about him .

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, akriesman said:

Mr Football in Oklahoma is like being a one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

I never heard of him until we signed with us.   Even had I not heard of him, I would have read the CNN article today and found out about him.

Everyone recruiting Oklahona has heard of him. That's why he had a PWO offer from Ok St. 

Its nice pub for Fine, and maybe for UNT, but little else. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

52 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Well, after years of playing it safe with Mac.   I am all for taking a few chances.

We weren't really playing it safe, just not winning any recruiting battles. Personally, I haven't found myself rooting for a recruit much more than I am Mason. Maybe it's his story and all the good stuff being said about him but something about him just screams underdog story that you'd love to see work out.

But nothing about this class so far can be differentiated from previous McCarney classes in which we didn't win recruiting battles either. It could be that Littrell ends up having a better eye for hidden gems but that's yet to be seen obviously. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Well, McNulty had a PWO offer from Iowa and we took a chance on him...look at how awesome he did for us!! He became a starter!!

Vomit.

In fairness, McNulty didn't have even a fraction of the yards and passing TDs that Mason has accumulated over his career. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

In fairness, McNulty didn't have even a fraction of the yards and passing TDs that Mason has accumulated over his career. 

True.

I don't want Mason to be compared to McNulty at all. That's not fair to him. McNulty got to play here because his dad's buddy thought he would be a great QB for his Metamucil Offense. It turns out that he couldn't be a QB at one other FBS school in America, but got to start here because the coach liked his leadership and intangibles, neither of which led to very many wins. As a matter of face, the one of the two games we won with McNulty as the starter was against FIU in 2014--and he was so bad that the coach didn't run one pass play in the entire 4th quarter because it was obvious that he would turn it over and cost us the game. That's where the vomit reference came from...

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

We weren't really playing it safe, just not winning any recruiting battles. Personally, I haven't found myself rooting for a recruit much more than I am Mason. Maybe it's his story and all the good stuff being said about him but something about him just screams underdog story that you'd love to see work out.

But nothing about this class so far can be differentiated from previous McCarney classes in which we didn't win recruiting battles either. It could be that Littrell ends up having a better eye for hidden gems but that's yet to be seen obviously. 

I'm with you on this. He seems like the type of guy that will be a underdog. I don't want to get excited over anything, because I got excited for Greer, then Dajon, then D.Smith. So I think we are all skeptical of any QB that comes and plays here. But based on what I read, I think he definitely deserves and looks as if he will put in the work to become the future North Texas QB.

• Upvote 3

Just now, GreenTexan13 said:

I'm with you on this. He seems like the type of guy that will be a underdog. I don't want to get excited over anything, because I got excited for Greer, then Dajon, then D.Smith. So I think we are all skeptical of any QB that comes and plays here. But based on what I read, I think he definitely deserves and looks as if he will put in the work to become the future North Texas QB.

Right there with you and I've been jaded. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

This is what gives me hope about Fine. But then I see he played at a small school level. In Oklahoma. And the hope starts to fade.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I hadn't been on GMG.com or CNN.com all day today.  I just checked CNN and I saw the headline, "166 TD passes, only 1 college offer."  My first thought was please don't let this be about Fine, as I clicked on the link, cringing.  

Couldn't they wait just one more week to post this story? 

OK, now that I've actually read the article, it's quite favorable for both Fine and UNT.  Rather than fear this national exposure will cause another school to steal our recruit, I'll be optimistic that this article will encourage other recruits to consider UNT.

• Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, gangrene said:

I hadn't been on GMG.com or CNN.com all day today.  I just checked CNN and I saw the headline, "166 TD passes, only 1 college offer."  My first thought was please don't let this be about Fine, as I clicked on the link, cringing.  

Couldn't they wait just one more week to post this story? 

OK, now that I've actually read the article, it's quite favorable for both Fine and UNT.  Rather than fear this national exposure will cause another school to steal our recruit, I'll be optimistic that this article will encourage other recruits to consider UNT.

That article and it being re-posted on CNN is great for both us and Fine. 

3 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Bro, the dude has been here for what, a month and a half?? Coming off a 1 & 11 season to boot too.. if you expected to bring in a boat load of 3 & 4 stars you're kidding yourself.. Building rapport with HS coaches looks to be in the works, & by the looks of the use of social media, this staff gets it.. It will take patience but I personally love what I've been seeing

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, sparkmank said:

Bro, the dude has been here for what, a month and a half?? Coming off a 1 & 11 season to boot too.. if you expected to bring in a boat load of 3 & 4 stars you're kidding yourself.. Building rapport with HS coaches looks to be in the works, & by the looks of the use of social media, this staff gets it.. It will take patience but I personally love what I've been seeing

You're putting a lot of words in my mouth there. I just said so far this class isn't much different than McCarney's previous ones in terms of offers and ratings of recruits. This was in response to saying we "played it safe," in recruiting during McCarneys time here. No, we just weren't winning recruiting battles and it caught up to us.  Nothing about that is saying Littrell doesn't have an uphill battle. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sparkmank said:

Spanky, count me as part of your gang.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, sparkmank said:

I think I'd expect to see this staff winning at least some recruiting battles against FBS schools for HS recruits. 

It's stil too early to say either way, but what we've seen so far isn't very encouraging.

• Downvote 1