ronnie morgan

drex

I do not want to diminish the arrival of Keith Frazier to our basketball program, but he is not the first McDonald's All-American to play for the Mean Green.  Ronnie Morgan, who played from 1987-89 was also a McDonald's All-American. Here is a bio from the 1988-89 press guide. In '88 he finished as the number two rebounder in the country among freshmen.  He made the Basketball News freshman All-American and was a pre-season honorable mention All-American by Playboy magazine.  Just thought you might want to know.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, drex said:

I do not want to diminish the arrival of Keith Frazier to our basketball program, but he is not the first McDonald's All-American to play for the Mean Green.  Ronnie Morgan, who played from 1987-89 was also a McDonald's All-American. Here is a bio from the 1988-89 press guide. In '88 he finished as the number two rebounder in the country among freshmen.  He made the Basketball News freshman All-American and was a pre-season honorable mention All-American by Playboy magazine.  Just thought you might want to know.

Yep....bringing back some Mean Green memories, drex.

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

North Carolina stomped NT in the NCAA tournament, but Ronnie Morgan got a mere 19 rebounds.  

There were two glaring new set of rules for that game.  

1. Don't you dare foul anyone in light blue.

2. Don't you dare expect a foul called on anyone in light blue for hacking the shit out of anyone named Tony Worrell in green.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, we got shafted some by the refs, but we were really tentative in the first half...missed a lot of shots.  Still, it was a great experience for me and all the other fans who went to 
Salt Lake City for the game.

1 hour ago, drex said:

Yeah, we got shafted some by the refs, but we were really tentative in the first half...missed a lot of shots.  Still, it was a great experience for me and all the other fans who went to 
Salt Lake City for the game.

What amazed me about the game, was that NT actually was the more athletic of the teams.  I think nerves got to NT, as they missed a lot of easy shots in the first half.  It could and should have been a much closer game.   

On 1/24/2016 at 11:23 AM, drex said:

Keith will be the first McDonald's All-American to have actually played in the All-Star game. Presently, there are close to 300 nominees annually with the top 24 being chosen for the game. 

I was a huge Morgan fan while he was in high school and was Jimmy Gales'  signature recruit. Though a huge impact player, he was not the national recruit that Keith was.

Not many folks remember Eric Dorch (during the Jankovich years) but he was a High honorable mention All-American that transferred to NT from Baylor. He was also the runner-up for Florida's Mr. Basketball. Didn't do much while he was here.

Omar Sherman (formerly of Duncanville HS) enrolled at Paris JC after leaving Miami. His style of play and size reminds me so much of Morgan. Would love for him to land in Denton.   

• Upvote 2

On 1/26/2016 at 9:55 PM, Cooley said:

Omar Sherman (formerly of Duncanville HS) enrolled at Paris JC after leaving Miami. His style of play and size reminds me so much of Morgan. Would love for him to land in Denton.   

I haven't seen anything about Sherman's recruitment since he's been at Paris JC.  Do you believe we have a shot at getting him or do you think his juco stop is just part of him transferring to another predetermined school?

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2014/06/01/recruit-omar-sherman-will-give-miami-basketball-inside-threat/

Edited by ADLER

No, I don't know about his future plans other than him wanting to be closer to home. As stated in this article, he got plenty of PT as a freshman. Not the tallest of centers but his bulk would compensate. Ronnie Morgan clone

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/sfl-forward-omar-sherman-transfers-out-of-miami-20150823-story.html

• Upvote 1