MGB: Dee Baulkman commits, talks about decision

Brett Vito

I have to assume that Ekeler was recruiting him previously and continued to stay with him after the transition to UNT.  If he would have been offered by Georgia he would have magically been rated three stars, we offer and he remains with no stars.  Same player.

Welcome aboard Dontavious!

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

"Dee Baulkman committed to the Mean Green today.  It's a good thing he overlooked their 1-11 record last season, history of losing and rumors of an Ebola outbreak in the athletic center.  I'm not sure if he'll ever put a UNT degree on his wall, but at least they offered him a schoarship.  I'd have more info but I can't get a parking pass"

I will be the first to say I am not the brightest when it comes to understanding some posts. But why the above statement? He had no offers but only two schools showed him interest.

11 hours ago, greenit said:

I have to assume that Ekeler was recruiting him previously and continued to stay with him after the transition to UNT.  If he would have been offered by Georgia he would have magically been rated three stars, we offer and he remains with no stars.  Same player.

Welcome aboard Dontavious!

If I would have been offered by Georgia, I might have been raised to a 3 star...

I wasn't...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Is anyone else getting concerned about all the jucos? Both this year and last...

Yeah, but I'm not so sure that we have too many alternatives here. The metro Top 100 lists kind of tell the story about what we're dealing with at this point in the program. I'd love to have a boatload of big time freshmen, but we probably need to win quickly if we want to change our freshman recruiting for the better in the near term. I guess we're gambling in part on the competency of our coaches in regard to player development as well as their overall schemes. We've got what we've got, and we'll certainly know more by October. Spring will be interesting also.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Travis said:

Is anyone else getting concerned about all the jucos? Both this year and last...

I do my best to at least be consistent in my criticisms. They are on a time crunch, but the new staff isn't showing the ability to win recruiting battles any more frequently than the last staff, which I thought was their biggest problem.

They deserve time, but from a recruiting standpoint I don't see how they have improved. Yet, at least.

The concerning part is when comparing them to what Mccarney did when he was hired. Even on a similar time restraint he signed some impressive prospects like Power, Warner, Lemon, Akunne, Swarn, etc. No reason we shouldn't be able to get similar results this year.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Travis said:

Yes, as posted elsewhere.  Only coach that seems to be able to handle JUCOs well is K-State's Bill Snyder.  Plus, seems that most of these guys don't have other FBS offers. 

Again, you may occasionally hit on a "diamond in the rough" prospect...but, the odds of finding 85 of them are very slim.  Finding even 22 as starters is slim enough. 

Where this hurts is depth down the line.  If Littrell flames out within a two or three years, we will be in really, really bad shape depth-wise.

Imagine trying to sell another 1-4 win season after 2016.  It's really sad. 

Also, outside of the transfer, QB recruiting is looking very bleak as far as preps.  JUCO in 2017?  Keep spinning the transfer wheel?  It just isn't looking that great. 

Sorry to be so brutally honest...but, after 26 years of this, I can't drink the kool-aid much longer. 

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I do my best to at least be consistent in my criticisms. They are on a time crunch, but the new staff isn't showing the ability to win recruiting battles any more frequently than the last staff, which I thought was their biggest problem.

They deserve time, but from a recruiting standpoint I don't see how they have improved. Yet, at least.

The concerning part is when comparing them to what Mccarney did when he was hired. Even on a similar time restraint he signed some impressive prospects like Power, Warner, Lemon, Akunne, Swarn, etc. No reason we shouldn't be able to get similar results this year.

With Lemon and Akunne, you've got two preps that are now on NFL rosters.  I think people are a bit too harsh on McCarney.  McCarney's main sin was QB recruiting.  And, really, that may have been more on him trusting Canales too easily.  Appears he gave Chico free reign...and, it cost him his job.

Either way...at this point, you are correct to point out that McCarney's first class seemed deeper with prep talent.  Andrew Power, was a steady JUCO at TE out of that class as well.  Had forgotten about him. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

With Lemon and Akunne, you've got two preps that are now on NFL rosters.  I think people are a bit too harsh on McCarney.  McCarney's main sin was QB recruiting.  And, really, that may have been more on him trusting Canales too easily.  Appears he gave Chico free reign...and, it cost him his job.

Either way...at this point, you are correct to point out that McCarney's first class seemed deeper with prep talent.  Andrew Power, was a steady JUCO at TE out of that class as well.  Had forgotten about him. 

2011 was pretty good, especially considering the time crunch. 2014 was good too, but the other classes were not. 2012 has been brutal in terms of production, and the offer lists indicated that would most likely be the case. 

Other than QB recruiting, we also struggled with o-line recruiting, receiver recruiting, d-line recruiting, and linebacker recruiting. Through his first four seasons Lemon was the only full-time O-line starter Mccarney signed. Outside of Akunne at linebacker, Garner has looked good but production has been bad at LB. 

There's a reason we were so bad this year with nothing but Mccarney classes on the team.

I have to admit I am underwhelmed with the class right now.  Especially so when I look at what the Willie Fritz staff has done at Tulane so far.  Though to be fair I don't know how many of those recruits are hold overs.  

Out of Texas, the highest ranked recruit we have on board so far is Keenan Johnson (#216 in Texas), and it seems he is a soft commit.  Tulane has the 56th ranked kid out of Texas and the 24th ranked kid out of Alabama at the top of their class.  

Still time for this to be turned around, but not a lot of time.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I have to admit I am underwhelmed with the class right now.  Especially so when I look at what the Willie Fritz staff has done at Tulane so far.  Though to be fair I don't know how many of those recruits are hold overs.  

Out of Texas, the highest ranked recruit we have on board so far is Keenan Johnson (#216 in Texas), and it seems he is a soft commit.  Tulane has the 56th ranked kid out of Texas and the 24th ranked kid out of Alabama at the top of their class.  

Still time for this to be turned around, but not a lot of time.  

looking forward to seeing the grades plummet quite a bit on your next poll due to the honeymoon being over and panic returning.

• Upvote 2

I don't think anyone is panicking.  I think we're just settled into reality:  Littrell is obviously not going to recruit us out of the ditch we're in.  

Speaking of Tulane, they have this going for them as well:  They are not in the C-USA. 

Yes, I know that getting into the C-USA was supposed to be better.  In terms of more bowl opportunities, it is better.  But, in reality, the C-USA that was is now The America Athletic.  And, the C-USA now is Sun Belt 2.0 and start-ups/move-ups.  Recruits know this - and are probably reminded of it by opposing coaching staffs during recruiting.

(Again...thank you commish Banowksy for sleeping at the wheel.)

We'll see how Fritz's offense works week in and week out against better competition. But, one thing is for sure, Tulane is putting together a pretty nice class, while we are getting what we've gotten in the past. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

looking forward to seeing the grades plummet quite a bit on your next poll due to the honeymoon being over and panic returning.

You would be the second to predict this...

30 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

I don't think anyone is panicking.  I think we're just settled into reality:  Littrell is obviously not going to recruit us out of the ditch we're in.  

Speaking of Tulane, they have this going for them as well:  They are not in the C-USA. 

Yes, I know that getting into the C-USA was supposed to be better.  In terms of more bowl opportunities, it is better.  But, in reality, the C-USA that was is now The America Athletic.  And, the C-USA now is Sun Belt 2.0 and start-ups/move-ups.  Recruits know this - and are probably reminded of it by opposing coaching staffs during recruiting.

(Again...thank you commish Banowksy for sleeping at the wheel.)

We'll see how Fritz's offense works week in and week out against better competition. But, one thing is for sure, Tulane is putting together a pretty nice class, while we are getting what we've gotten in the past. 

You have to wonder if Fritz just knows how to recruit to hard places while we have a staff mainly used to having the power of a P5 behind them. I think they might be a little shocked at this point. 

Lets all just hope Littrell and company have some big surprises up their sleeves come Feb 3

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aXExNcQtok

dee was dabbing before dabbing was cool

Everyone's lasting memory of Dee. ..  2nd greatest power forward of all time got robbed in that contest tho.   Sitting in my living room wearing my Pumps and jersey you couldn't tell me that Kemp didn't win that one.  

46 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Everyone's lasting memory of Dee. ..  2nd greatest power forward of all time got robbed in that contest tho.   Sitting in my living room wearing my Pumps and jersey you couldn't tell me that Kemp didn't win that one.  

another place he got screwed was NBA Jam...I mean, good Gary Payton is your long-time team(soul)mate and yet you have to play 2-on-2 with Benoit Benjamin or Detlif Schrimpf?

no wonder he got fat and had so many fun-babies

• Upvote 1