Seth Littrell: 'I came home and told my dad that's what I want to do'

Harry

Seth Littrell never dreamed of being an NFL player. From his first year playing football as a kid, he wanted to be a coach.

At 37 years old, the new North Texas head coach is one of the youngest head coaches in FBS, but he says that focus on coaching gave him a quick start.

“Growing up, my grand-dad owned a car dealership, and my dad and brother were with him. My father loved it. We’d always talk, and my father said, ‘If I could do it over again, I would have coached,’” Littrell told CoachingSearch. “It never really hit me until I was growing up.

"I had a 6th grade football coach who was great. We went over and scouted another team. I’ll never forget it. We scouted a team we were going to play in the playoffs. As we were watching, I saw some tendencies, where they were putting the offensive line. We found out that tendency together, and after that, I was done. There was no doubt in my mind. Going out scouting on a Thursday night, I came home and told my dad, ‘That’s exactly what I want to do.’”

Littrell grew up in Oklahoma and played at OU from 1998-2001. Along the way, he was always working toward coaching, even as he won a national championship as a Sooner player.

He was a graduate assistant at Kansas from 2002-04, before getting hired by Mike Leach as Texas Tech’s running backs coach in 2005. By 2010, he was an offensive coordinator at Arizona at 31 years old.

“I had an advantage. I knew how, what and where I wanted to end up,” Littrell said. “I always had a dream of playing for Oklahoma, because my dad did, playing on a national championship team. That was a blessing, but my aspirations after college were never to be an NFL player. My aspirations were to be a college football coach.

Read more:  http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Seth-Littrell-I-came-home-and-told-my-dad-thats-what-I-want-to-do