UTSA's next head coach will be..............Frank Wilson (LSU)

Harry

LSU running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Frank Wilson has been offered the head coaching job at University of Texas at San Antonio, FootballScoop.com reported Thursday, and a deal is expected to get done.

Wilson and Oklahoma State defensive coordinator coordinator Glenn Spencer were the two finalists for the job, the site reported earlier Thursday.  A news station in San Antonio reported Wednesday that Spencer was the “most likely” hire for the Roadrunners and the San Antonio Express-News reported something similar. 

The Roadrunners, though, chose Wilson, according to FootballScoop.

Wilson, a 42-year-old from New Orleans, just completed his sixth season with the Tigers. He’s helped bring in some of the nation’s best recruits while in Baton Rouge, including the Tigers’ No. 2-ranked signing group in 2014.

read more:  http://blogs.theadvocate.com/tigertracks/report-lsu-rb-coachrecruiting-coordinator-frank-wilson-finalist-for-utsa-job/

13 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Are you serious? This guy is the 3 time recruiter of the year. The HC recruites and coordinators scheme and position coaches develop talent. If you don't think an SEC pedigree is solid...

There are plenty of awesome recruiters that just can't hack it at the head coach position. We've had a couple try (and fail) here at North Texas.

25 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Are you serious? This guy is the 3 time recruiter of the year. The HC recruites and coordinators scheme and position coaches develop talent. If you don't think an SEC pedigree is solid...

Dead serious. He will find its alot easier to recruit to death Valley than it will be to nUTSAck.

I would take everett Withers over him any day 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Dead serious. He will find its alot easier to recruit to death Valley than it will be to nUTSAck.

I would take everett Withers over him any day 

I don't get that statement, and you're not the only one who has made it. Of course it's easier to recruit to LSU, but he's also having to win battles against teams like Texas, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, etc. to win recruiter of the year honors.

He won't have as much to pitch at UTSA, but he's going to be recruiting against CUSA, Sun Belt, and MWC schools instead of national powerhouses.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Not impressed. 7 years and no promotion above position coach. 

On the other hand...7 years and still has his job, so he wasn't fire-worthy either.  Maybe he's just really awesome at what he does.  Did he get pay raises?  If so then we can assume he did a pretty solid job at one of the best football schools in the nation.

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don't get that statement, and you're not the only one who has made it. Of course it's easier to recruit to LSU, but he's also having to win battles against teams like Texas, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, etc. to win recruiter of the year honors.

He won't have as much to pitch at UTSA, but he's going to be recruiting against CUSA, Sun Belt, and MWC schools instead of national powerhouses.

He is having to compete with legitimatly maybe 5 to 10 teams on players at LSU. Because arguably LSU i would rank right up there with Alabama, Florida, Texas, USC, Ole Miss, MIichigan, Ohio State. They get the pick of the litter. At nUTSAck it could be argued they aren't even top 5 in their division much less conference. Alot more teams to compete with for each player. And a WHOLE lot more evaluating. Not just going and hand picking ESPN top 100. 

23 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

On the other hand...7 years and still has his job, so he wasn't fire-worthy either.  Maybe he's just really awesome at what he does.  Did he get pay raises?  If so then we can assume he did a pretty solid job at one of the best football schools in the nation.

Using this logic Bruce Chambers would have been a slam dunk hire.. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He is having to compete with legitimatly maybe 5 to 10 teams on players at LSU. Because arguably LSU i would rank right up there with Alabama, Florida, Texas, USC, Ole Miss, MIichigan, Ohio State. They get the pick of the litter. At nUTSAck it could be argued they aren't even top 5 in their division much less conference. Alot more teams to compete with for each player. And a WHOLE lot more evaluating. Not just going and hand picking ESPN top 100. 

But they aren't having to recruit players who have offers from all those schools. Look at most of the players we've had selected to all-CUSA. 3-7 FBS offers. They aren't too different from us in that they can easily sign a class of those type of prospects and have a really good class. I don't know if it'll be a good hire from a coaching standpoint, but I believe he'll do a good job bringing in talent, on a CUSA level.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

It's also funny how people apply this to UTSA and not UNT. Because we both got P5 bred assistants.

Although UNT apparently got its first choice while Craphole got it's 46th choice...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It's also funny how people apply this to UTSA and not UNT. Because we both got P5 bred assistants.

Although UNT apparently got its first choice while Craphole got it's 46th choice...

Yup. Although LSU is easier to recruit to than UNC, Indiana, Arizona, or Tech. But, again, they are competing against schools on their level for recruits.

42 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

you know who else is a good recruiter? Benford......

Put me in the camp with Texas St's hire over UTKFC's hire.

I agree. I don't know that it's a good hire from a game day product standpoint. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't see the home run here that so many NutsaCK supporters are proclaiming. Sure he's a good recruiter, but he doesn't have any experience outside of high school(I believe he was a New Orleans HS coach for a while) as a HC or coordinator. Couple that with the massive difference in recruiting NutsaCK vs recruiting SEC schools, this seems more like a slow blooper to short than a home run. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

This is actually really great hire if true, in my opinion.

That said, to quote one of our recent additions...

“If you’re labeled a great recruiter, 99 percent of the time it means you can’t coach a lick.” - Mike Ekeler

• Upvote 5

44 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Wrong again. We got an OC they got a position coach! Big difference, but you know that! 

• Upvote 5