UTSA's next head coach will be..............Frank Wilson (LSU)

Harry

2 hours ago, correcamino said:

Yes, recruiting to UTSA is different than recruiting to LSU. Then again will Litrell have the same level of athletes at UNT that he had at UNC? Probably not but that doesn't stop y'all from getting excited.

The other finalist was a DC at Ok St and GMG scoffed that potential hire. Chances are, even if Wilson had coordinator experience GMG would've found another way to scoff him. Don't understand the insecurity.

Oklahoma State's defense was ranked 99 last season; UTSA's 100.  So, what was there to get excited about with that guy?  Because he came from a Big 12 school? 

People here, I've said before, are expecting too much of Littrell given where we are.  However, Littrell's offense was ranked 18 in the country - so...he was doing somewhat better than the DC at Okie State. 

Plus, Littrell has had coordinating responsibilities at three different schools.  So, he's had more responsibilities than UTSA's hire.

Plus, I'm not even sure UTSA's hire even speaks any Spanish.  So, there's that as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

It seems he has to keep the current staff. I guess that means they are not gonna be too far behind in recruiting. At least not as far they could. Then again it also means they got the candiate that is willing the bend over for the AD and take it. That more than anything has me thinking that this is not gonna go well.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

It seems he has to keep the current staff. I guess that means they are not gonna be too far behind in recruiting. At least not as far they could. Then again it also means they got the candiate that is willing the bend over for the AD and take it. That more than anything has me thinking that this is not gonna go well.

That means to me that the new coach was willing to whore himself out just to get the title of  Hc. Sounds like a great hire.  ....   "Yes ad of  nutsack, I will do anything you ask just to be a hc!   I know I'm not qualified so thanks for telling me what to do so I can finally be more than a position coach"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Just to clarify, Wilson was not just a position coach.  There's a reason he was being paid so much, he was also the associate head coach. 

"Associate head coach" is an honorary title that has been invented in recent years to get certain position coaches more money.  It certainly speaks of his value to the staff, but it does not mean that he was in any sense over the coordinators, or even over other position coaches in an actual decision-making capacity.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Just to clarify, Wilson was not just a position coach.  There's a reason he was being paid so much, he was also the associate head coach. 

Cool.  We hate nUTSAck and don't care.  Please change your avatar.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

Oh you mean like our now ex-Tight End coach Quattaro (sp?) who was an associate head coach but we couldn't figure out why? Difference was he couldn't recruit or coordinate an offense/defense

Ummmm... Art Briles was "just" a position coach when Houston hired him as head coach and he's done all right. Briles was known as a good recruiter and had only been a head coach in high school (more similarities with Wilson). I hope the Wilson hire is a disaster for UTSA, but being a position coach is no reason to look down on him. 

• Upvote 5

There are no guarantees that any assistant/position/oc or dc will be a good hc.   It takes a lot of different factors to succeed at that position.  Bedford can recruit but can't coach.  I thought benford would have been a good hire.    The jury is out on our hire,UTSA hire and SMU hire only time will tell.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Ummmm... Art Briles was "just" a position coach when Houston hired him as head coach and he's done all right. Briles was known as a good recruiter and had only been a head coach in high school (more similarities with Wilson). I hope the Wilson hire is a disaster for UTSA, but being a position coach is no reason to look down on him. 

I don't think anyone was saying it was impossible for a position coach to transition to a head coach.  But, all else being equal, it is preferable to hire a coordinator as HC rather than a position coach.

• Upvote 1

At the end of all this smack talk i keep reading from and against both schools, Littrell and Wilson have a lot of hype and plenty to prove.  On one side, a proven offensive guy and on the other a proven recruiter.  And both now have to prove they are capable of doing so without P5 school names on their business cards. 

Im excited.  And i really think this rivalry just took another huge step forward. I just hope both young coaches will stick around to get these programs really going.  Because let's be real, both programs sucked this year, and it was a whole lot better when both were playing for a conference title game spot.

Edited by MeanGreenRoadrunner
  • Upvote 4

20 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Oklahoma State's defense was ranked 99 last season; UTSA's 100.  So, what was there to get excited about with that guy?  Because he came from a Big 12 school? 

People here, I've said before, are expecting too much of Littrell given where we are.  However, Littrell's offense was ranked 18 in the country - so...he was doing somewhat better than the DC at Okie State. 

Plus, Littrell has had coordinating responsibilities at three different schools.  So, he's had more responsibilities than UTSA's hire.

Plus, I'm not even sure UTSA's hire even speaks any Spanish.  So, there's that as well.

UH, let's tap the breaks a wee bit.  I'm excited about Littrell's offense too, but any offense is only as good as the players who execute that offense.  We all hope that Littrell can bring in the speed and skill players it will take.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Cool.  We hate nUTSAck and don't care.  Please change your avatar.

...he says, while adding to the 3-page thread dedicated to their new coach on our message board....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

One thing that Briles had that I don't think Wilson has is a good backup from the AD.  Briles had a strong AD with experience at Cal and Miami.  The UH AD forced out Briles' high school S&C coach and implemented a real high level college S&C program (credit to Briles who learned that lesson and has a great S&C program today).  He also forced out some of Briles' defensive coaches. 

Maybe Wilson will have less of those coaching growing pains, but I'm not sure he'll have the help that Briles had to get through them.

• Upvote 2

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM, outoftown said:

He just fired everyone but the O line coach. He said in the presser that NSD wasn't the last day to sign kids, but the first. I guess he's kicking a#$ and not even taking names.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UTSA Fan said:

He just fired everyone but the O line coach. He said in the presser that NSD wasn't the last day to sign kids, but the first. I guess he's kicking a#$ and not even taking names.

Good for him, I guess the things I read were wrong then. I guess this might go somewhere after all. In recruiting y'all will be far behind the 8-ball though, with pretty much everyone gone now.

• Upvote 1

Just now, outoftown said:

Good for him, I guess the things I read were wrong then. I guess this might go somewhere after all. In recruiting y'all will be far behind the 8-ball though, with pretty much everyone gone now.

Fortunately, I guess, utsa has a large number of JUCO signies. The rest will be interesting. It will be interesting to see if the "new" signees were guys he knows in Louisiana holding out for P5 offers and jilted on nsd. No question he hasn't recruited for utsa yet, be has been recruiting up to the hiring. I am very excited about Littrell and Wilson. So hopeful both programs can reach their potential.

8 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Fortunately, I guess, utsa has a large number of JUCO signies. The rest will be interesting. It will be interesting to see if the "new" signees were guys he knows in Louisiana holding out for P5 offers and jilted on nsd. No question he hasn't recruited for utsa yet, be has been recruiting up to the hiring. I am very excited about Littrell and Wilson. So hopeful both programs can reach their potential.

How happy those JUCO signees will be with the new coach and vice versa seing as they are not "his guys" remains to be seen and slightly doubted though.

• 4 years later...
On 1/16/2016 at 8:11 AM, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't think this is a home run hire for UTSA but I think it's a good hire, especially considering the timing.  If you're going to take a shot at a position coach might as well get one that has shown to be a top recruiter.  

That didn't age well at all.

• Haha 2

On 1/15/2016 at 9:51 AM, untjim1995 said:

UTSA, allow us to introduce you to our head coach in a revenue sport that was known as a "recruiter" at a Power school before we hired him to come here...his name is Tony Benford.

This is basically who you just hired to run your football program. Good luck with all that...

This one, however, did age perfectly...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4