Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Yes, because of the ship. I think he would have been a terrific PWO. I guess if he doesn't develop and transfers to an FCS, you get the ship back, and it's not like we don't have plenty to spare (also a disappointment), but I just expected better than a one offer HS QB out of Littrell this class. Especially with the opportunity to compete immediately available for a true freshman and an unobstructed path to starting their Sophmore year. Very disappointing. 

OKIE STATE and OU PWO. I would go after these kids every day!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tyler Maryak said:

If nothing else, it seems like this kid will be the most talked-about athlete to come through since I don't know who...

Like I mentioned earlier, he's Riley Dodge 2.0, almost at a cloned level IMO.  The question is can he avoid the pitfalls that Riley couldn't.  I'd say it is some of the same pitfalls that caused problems for Romo, Manziel.  Here's my concerns:

1.) Can he take a hit?  will he get injured in the first game and stay injured throughout the season?

1a.) Can he avoid a hit? That doesn't mean don't run.  Lose the ego and take a slide.

2.) Can he make quick accurate throws that don't look like lobs? 

3.) Can he accurately hit receivers deep? Consistently? I swear if I see any more throws into obvious double coverage getting there late like last year...

4.) No happy feet stupid last second prayers into defenders hands. Romo, I'm looking at you. 

21 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

If nothing else, it seems like this kid will be the most talked-about athlete to come through since I don't know who...

Agreed. Plus, I think his story makes it extra easy to root for this dude. I really pulling for him to prove doubters wrong. Hope he can do it! Definitely has the right attitude.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

We think...We hope...We'll find out if Fine is good enough to be at the FBS level, or not. His size is just a hurdle for him to overcome, not a deal breaker. I went to school with his grandfather and , while we weren't the best of friends, I know his family as a pretty coherent group. Mason is valedictorian of his class, so we know he has some brains. The football landscape is littered with 6'2' 225 lb quarterbacks who couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted them the "c" and the "t". Win or lose, I would expect some highly entertaining games.

I'm well past entertainment at this point.  Todd Dodge's seasons were very entertaining.  Wins, not so much.  I'll take wins over entertainment and wisdom over intelligence. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dd992emo said:

That's fair. I'm new to the GMG world and my loyalties for the time being are tied to Mason Fine. I'm a pretty easy sell, so I anticipate quickly becoming enamored with the whole MG gig. Otherwise, I'm an OU fan spoiled by years of 9 - 10 win seasons dampened by no Natty's. Fine will give you all he's got, and that has proven pretty good, even if it was against small schools. We'll see...

Oh yeah, if you come across any 19 year old with wisdom, let me know...because in my 66 years I ain't never seen so such creature.

Wisdom is rated relative to one's age anyway.  I wouldn't expect a 19 year old to have the wisdom of a 40 year old man.  Relative to other quarterbacks that make ill advised decisions due to ego issues, that I have a problem with.  I'm not saying he does or doesn't have it but that's the concern that we'll see play out.  I'm far too jaded to just look at some questionable recruit videos and hear about why we should all be jumping for joy over a recruit with virtually no other offers.  I want to believe but I'm completely unwilling to get excited until I see him in the spring game really making impressive plays.  That's the starting point for my real interest I'd say.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Major problem! The kid doesn't even SHAVE! I am really excited and hopeful for Mason. Quality leader! I hope UNT and Mason have a storybook ending!

Lots of coaches would see that as a feature and not a bug.

If he's not shaving yet he has way more physical maturation to do. Let him do that in a FBS strength program...

I doubt we are counting on him for this season (2 Sr QBs) so letting him develop only costs us a 'ship. We ar supposed to recruit a new QB every year so he shouldn't be the only option in a year or two...

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Lots of coaches would see that as a feature and not a bug.

If he's not shaving yet he has way more physical maturation to do. Let him do that in a FBS strength program...

I doubt we are counting on him for this season (2 Sr QBs) so letting him develop only costs us a 'ship. We ar supposed to recruit a new QB every year so he shouldn't be the only option in a year or two...

Does that mean that I still have hope for growing a beard!? :D

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

Littrell really like this kid.  It will be interesting to see how well he does.  It's sad that not one Oklahoma school saw fit to give him a scholarship.  Would love to see this bite them in the arse.

Agree that it is sad, BUT it would be sadder for him to be buried on the depth chart behind four and five-star players and never get a shot to show his skills. He is in the right place IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Agree that it is sad, BUT it would be sadder for him to be buried on the depth chart behind four and five-star players and never get a shot to show his skills. He is in the right place IMO.

Agree totally. I'm originally an OU fan and I know Mason turned down an PWO there, but I contend he made right decision. I think he will be a star at UNT. I'm ready to make a road trip to watch him play!

• Upvote 5

One thing I like about this opportunity for Fine is that he is not under immediate pressure to see the field. In fact, I hope he can be redshirted this season so that he has the opportunity to fully adjust to the step up in competition and we can have him eligible longer. To state the obvious, there will be guys in practice who make plays on his ball that he hasn't seen before. But I think his skills will translate under Harrell's tutelage.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

You're right about that being a good position to be in and I agree with your comments regarding the increased game speed. From what I have seen of Mason Fine, though, in his mind he will be the starting QB this coming season at some point. It sounds unrealistic, but that is the kind of guy I want on my team. I want a guy who expects to start and if it works out that he doesn't, works his ass off and contributes in whatever way he can to help the team. I'm pretty sure Fine is that kind of guy. I'll go on record with my rompin'-stompin' 5 or 6 posts saying that he will start at some point in 2016. I think his intangibles, his football acumen and his arm will make it too difficult to sit him.

Love the optimisim but unless he's just that incredible, I hope he doesn't start this year unless we have an injury riddled season because that will mean Morris and Smith will have been complete failures and we would be in for another horrendous year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

You're right about that being a good position to be in and I agree with your comments regarding the increased game speed. From what I have seen of Mason Fine, though, in his mind he will be the starting QB this coming season at some point. It sounds unrealistic, but that is the kind of guy I want on my team. I want a guy who expects to start and if it works out that he doesn't, works his ass off and contributes in whatever way he can to help the team. I'm pretty sure Fine is that kind of guy. I'll go on record with my rompin'-stompin' 5 or 6 posts saying that he will start at some point in 2016. I think his intangibles, his football acumen and his arm will make it too difficult to sit him.

From your lips to God's ears. If he establishes that he gives us the best chance to win, then I want him on the field in spite of the fact we have to burn his redshirt. He should have the best command of the playbook on day one. For his sake (thinking of his overall career here and his personal development) I hope he doesn't have to be under the gun to play right away. I am looking forward to seeing him in Mean Green.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

He is exactly that kind of kid. I am cautiously optimistic for him to compete for the starting spot too. He is the most positive 18 y/o I've been around. It will be a big step up though, no question. His work ethic is unbelievable. When other kids went out after games to hang out, party, whatever, he would stay at the field house and lift til 1am. He studies and understands the game well beyond his years, watches film incessantly, etc. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 years later...
On 2/3/2016 at 9:37 AM, UNT90 said:

Less excited about this add now.

On 2/3/2016 at 10:24 AM, UNT90 said:

Yes, because of the ship. I think he would have been a terrific PWO. I guess if he doesn't develop and transfers to an FCS, you get the ship back, and it's not like we don't have plenty to spare (also a disappointment), but I just expected better than a one offer HS QB out of Littrell this class. Especially with the opportunity to compete immediately available for a true freshman and an unobstructed path to starting their Sophmore year. 

Very disappointing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Downvote 1

Man, I remember this thread.  The worry over the lack of quarterback offers ... the little interest from highly rated quarterbacks ... the sleuthing  to determine Mason's true height ... the blue-shirting discourse. 

On 1/25/2016 at 7:30 AM, NorthTexan95 said:

If he comes here and becomes an all conference quarterback then that is what we are looking for.  (hope springs eternal)

We can say we got what we were and the coaches were looking for.  I'm looking forward to two more years of watching Mason excelling on and off the field.  Proud to have this kid ... man ... leading my team. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2016 at 10:03 PM, jtm0097 said:

Nice high school film. I am not too concerned about size. He just needs to be able to run the offense. Small qbs flourish in spread offenses. Remember guys, we're not going to be running a Canales/ McCarney  offense anymore.

I should quit my day job lol

• Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...