Roster update

BillySee58

9 minutes ago, TheFranchise said:

I know Tony personally. He's graduating in the spring and won't use his final year of eligibility.

Good for him.  He's been a good soldier here.  Thank him for his service and wish him the best.  Thanks for sharing this Fran.

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Since 1995, would Scott Hall win the poll as best QB we have had here since returning to I-A/FBS?

hmm.  I think numbers-wise, DT would be up there, if not the best.   But, if you're talking about nostalgia & eyeball test, you gotta think Hall would be #1.

Also consider:
the "what could have been's": Smith (tragic death), Vizza ("transferer"), Dodge (injuries).

I never saw Mills play.  He had some decent numbers though.  Older guys' thoughts on him?

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

hmm.  I think numbers-wise, DT would be up there, if not the best.   But, if you're talking about nostalgia & eyeball test, you gotta think Hall would be #1.

Also consider:
the "what could have been's": Smith (tragic death), Vizza ("transferer"), Dodge (injuries).

I never saw Mills play.  He had some decent numbers though.  Older guys' thoughts on him?

I think Vizza would have been our best, if he had stayed--assuming he didn't get killed any worse than he already had behind Dodge's porous OLines. Andrew Smith is interesting because he seemed much more athletic than what he was allowed to show in the Buick offense, but I always felt that Scott Hall would start over him when healthy. He could have been great if he hadn't died in that car accident, but its just hard to say if he would have excelled as the main QB under Dickey for a full year or more.

Jason Mills was the kind of guy who would throw 4 of the worst interceptions that a QB could throw in a game, but would follow it up with a 300+ yard passing performance. Very erratic. He was Derek Thompson before DT ever showed up on campus.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think Vizza would have been our best, if he had stayed--assuming he didn't get killed any worse than he already had behind Dodge's porous OLines. Andrew Smith is interesting because he seemed much more athletic than what he was allowed to show in the Buick offense, but I always felt that Scott Hall would start over him when healthy. He could have been great if he hadn't died in that car accident, but its just hard to say if he would have excelled as the main QB under Dickey for a full year or more.

Jason Mills was the kind of guy who would throw 4 of the worst interceptions that a QB could throw in a game, but would follow it up with a 300+ yard passing performance. Very erratic. He was Derek Thompson before DT ever showed up on campus.

Recall about Smith...   He won his bowl game.  
I'm not 100% sure Hall would have wrestled the starting spot away from him.

Don't we have some former players from that era on here?  @Ole Green Guts, what say you?

Edit: brain fart.   Hall DID wrestle the starting spot away from him halfway through 2003.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
I dont haz smartz

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't we have some former players from that era on here?  @Ole Green Guts, what say you?

Hall did start the next two seasons after Smith led us to a bowl victory in 2002. Hall was our starter in both 2003 and 2004.

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Scott Hall without a doubt is the best QB we have had since our return to the top division, DT is the second. Stats for their JR&SR years:

Hall:  27TD 9INT 8.5 YPA
DT:  30TD 27INT 7.2 YPA

• Upvote 3

On 1/15/2016 at 2:59 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Edit: brain fart.   Hall DID wrestle the starting spot away from him halfway through 2003.

Scott and Andrew were both great Qb's but completely different.  Scott was much better at managing the system, while Andrew was more athletic and had a laser for an arm.  In Dickeys system, Scott was hands down the guy. If it had been the spread, Andrew would have definitely had a leg up.

• Upvote 1