Tulane coach Willie Fritz announces his coaches and support staff

Harry

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on:

Our helmet logo

Oregon's unis?

Nike pro combat jerseys?

Black jerseys? 

Black jerseys if the coach has been rude to fans (it does matter to some)? 

we should dress up like oregon on the halloween (or closest to it) game.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You have no idea if it's a great hire or not. There is no track record as a head coach in which to judge. There was with Fritz. 

Until Littrell outperforms Fritz as a head coach, Tulane clearly made the better hire. To say anything else is simply homerism at its homerest. 

Emmitt asked whether his assistants were better hires. The answer is clearly yes, as they have coaches together for years and know each other and what to expect from each other.

And they have won. And won a lot. At places and under circumstances which made winning hard. 

Now if you want to fool yourself into believing we made the better hire, go ahead. Every sliver of tangible evidence says Fritz was the far better hire. 

But time will tell. It will be interesting to compare results at the end of next season.

Look at his offensive stats and where it was done! Every coach has a track record! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You have no idea if it's a great hire or not. There is no track record as a head coach in which to judge. There was with Fritz. 

Until Littrell outperforms Fritz as a head coach, Tulane clearly made the better hire. To say anything else is simply homerism at its homerest. 

Emmitt asked whether his assistants were better hires. The answer is clearly yes, as they have coaches together for years and know each other and what to expect from each other.

And they have won. And won a lot. At places and under circumstances which made winning hard. 

Now if you want to fool yourself into believing we made the better hire, go ahead. Every sliver of tangible evidence says Fritz was the far better hire. 

But time will tell. It will be interesting to compare results at the end of next season.

If Fritz wins at Tulane (who has one winning season since 2002) he will show he has won at a place where circumstances make winning hard. Until then, he has made average to above-average programs better. If he pulls a Tommy Bowden at Tulane, you'll have every right to puff your chest out but I have my doubts.

As far as where we are since the two staffs took over, we have acquired our best DT in over a decade, likely a graduate transfer quarterback, and allegedly turned down a SEC transfer quarterback. Tulane has lost their starting quarterback to transfer and a starting wide receiver to track & field. I like our chances.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

"Zero"  I don't think it means what you think it means.  

"Zero" as in never been a head coach of an FCS or FBS program. 

Ever. Zero experience. 

Get it?

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If Fritz wins at Tulane (who has one winning season since 2002) he will show he has won at a place where circumstances make winning hard. Until then, he has made average to above-average programs better. If he pulls a Tommy Bowden at Tulane, you'll have every right to puff your chest out but I have my doubts.

As far as where we are since the two staffs took over, we have acquired our best DT in over a decade, likely a graduate transfer quarterback, and allegedly turned down a SEC transfer quarterback. Tulane has lost their starting quarterback to transfer and a starting wide receiver to track & field. I like our chances.

This is just stupid talk. Calling a guy who has never played one down "our best DT in over a decade" is the most out there statement I have seen since Littrell was hired. Just green kool aid swillin crazy.

i know you are a uNT fan, but believe it or not, .500 isn't winning. Ever. And we've had this argument already. You were wrong then and are wrong now.

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Look at his offensive stats and where it was done! Every coach has a track record! 

There are 3 phases to football. He has experience in one, which is why many P5 coordinators fail at head coach. It's a different position that requires a different skill set. Fritz has proven he has those skills. Littrell hasn't. Yet.

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

How many first-time coordinators did Fritz hire?

Another very valid point.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

"Zero" as in never been a head coach of an FCS or FBS program. 

Ever. Zero experience. 

Get it?

This is just stupid talk. Calling a guy who has never played one down "our best DT in over a decade" is the most out there statement I have seen since Littrell was hired. Just green kool aid swillin crazy.

i know you are a uNT fan, but believe it or not, .500 isn't winning. Ever. And we've had this argument already. You were wrong then and are wrong now.

Apologies. Our best DT recruit in over a decade.

You still haven't shown where Fritz has taken a program as downtrodden as NT or Tulane and made them a winner.

62008728.jpg

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Apologies. Our best DT recruit in over a decade.

You still haven't shown where Fritz has taken a program as downtrodden as NT or Tulane and made them a winner.

62008728.jpg

He took Sam Houston, which rarely ever made the FCS playoffs, to 2 FCS Championship games. He literally made the JUCO he coached at, and is in the NJCAA hall of fame for it. He took a transitional, 1st year FBS team to a perfect conference record and conference championship running an offense he wasn't comfortable running. 

I know youll never get it, because you think average is winning. It isn't. 

So UNT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, Harry said:

You give me way too much credit Dan.  I simply read the article and thought it was interesting to see who Fritz hired as assistants since we will likely be competing against them on recruits.  While I do prefer an active forum to a slow one  there really is no conspiracy theory here. 

Harry admit it, like every good story you have th have a foil!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Ehhhhh, there's a lot more to it than that.

The main problem here has always revolved around poor recruiting.

If Littrell can consistently recruit really good players, he will be successful.

If he can't recruit, he won't be sucessful.

That's the bottom line.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, casual fan said:

The main problem here has always revolved around poor recruiting.

If Littrell can consistently recruit really good players, he will be successful.

If he can't recruit, he won't be sucessful.

That's the bottom line.  

That's why Vic Trilli is in the UNT basketball hall of fame.

Oh, wait.

Development is HUGE. Coaching is also. You do need to recruit well, but saying that is all there is to it is a simplification of the highest order.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

That's why Vic Trilli is in the UNT basketball hall of fame.

Oh, wait.

Development is HUGE. Coaching is also. You do need to recruit well, but saying that is all there is to it is a simplification of the highest order.

I was speaking about UNT football because this is a UNT football forum.

I said recruiting has always been the main problem.

McCarney would still be here if he could have recruited better.  For that matter, so would Dickey.

An average coach with really good players will win a lot of games.

An average coach with below average players ends up 1-11 and out of a job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Sometimes, you're all correct.

I was mentioning Fritz what, a year and a half ago?  Littrell wasn't even on my radar at the time.  Fact is, just like with Dodge and McCarney, wait a while and then we'll know if we lucked out rolling the dice and got the greatest UNT Football coaching hire of all time or not.

However...it's true that Tulane got a more CERTAIN hire.  Littrell may turn out to be the best HC of his generation.  We don't know right now.  Fritz is certainly a safer bet, but that in no way should overshadow Litrell's potential...at least for now.  If he sucks through 2020, then definitely, accept that we should have pushed harder for Willie.  But even I, having brought up Ga.So. long before Mac got his walking papers handed to him, am not willing to whine and bitch about him going somewhere else when we have an exciting coach just heating up and recruiting the hell out of the whole USA at the moment.

Serious question:

Do some of you just argue on here so that you don't get teased for being a whiny queen at home?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

He took Sam Houston, which rarely ever made the FCS playoffs, to 2 FCS Championship games. He literally made the JUCO he coached at, and is in the NJCAA hall of fame for it. He took a transitional, 1st year FBS team to a perfect conference record and conference championship running an offense he wasn't comfortable running. 

I know youll never get it, because you think average is winning. It isn't. 

So UNT. 

What conference was that again? I remember somebody around here once won 26 in a row (including 3 years of perfect conference records) his first 4 years in that same conference with a team that finished with only one conference win in each of the two seasons prior. How is that guy not in the FBS hall of fame for it?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, casual fan said:

I was speaking about UNT football because this is a UNT football forum.

I said recruiting has always been the main problem.

McCarney would still be here if he could have recruited better.  For that matter, so would Dickey.

An average coach with really good players will win a lot of games.

An average coach with below average players ends up 1-11 and out of a job.

Dodge recruited well and didn't win. These kids are 18 years old when they get to campus. Development is a HUGE part of the process and severely lacked under Dodge. 

Coaching also suffered under Dodge and DMac. They didn't maximize the talent that they had (yes, even in 2013, and I would say especially in 2013). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

What conference was that again? I remember somebody around here once won 26 in a row (including 3 years of perfect conference records) his first 4 years in that same conference with a team that finished with only one conference win in each of the two seasons prior. How is that guy not in the FBS hall of fame for it?

He isn't in the hall of fame because the AD hates his guts, and he returns the favor. 

How many conference titles have we won since?

Sun Belt 2015 was a MUCH better conference than Sun Belt 2003. You know that.

Pointless argument with you, as you won't even conceded published facts about Fritz. 

10 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

Sometimes, you're all correct.

I was mentioning Fritz what, a year and a half ago?  Littrell wasn't even on my radar at the time.  Fact is, just like with Dodge and McCarney, wait a while and then we'll know if we lucked out rolling the dice and got the greatest UNT Football coaching hire of all time or not.

However...it's true that Tulane got a more CERTAIN hire.  Littrell may turn out to be the best HC of his generation.  We don't know right now.  Fritz is certainly a safer bet, but that in no way should overshadow Litrell's potential...at least for now.  If he sucks through 2020, then definitely, accept that we should have pushed harder for Willie.  But even I, having brought up Ga.So. long before Mac got his walking papers handed to him, am not willing to whine and bitch about him going somewhere else when we have an exciting coach just heating up and recruiting the hell out of the whole USA at the moment.

Serious question:

Do some of you just argue on here so that you don't get teased for being a whiny queen at home?

The problem with a risky hire is that his chances of success are GREATLY diminished by a completely ineffective athletic department. Todd Dodge was a risky hire, and the AD didn't stop him from the terrible mistake of hiring mostly HS assistants. 

Risky hires need support and guidance. Littrell will get very little. 

• Downvote 2

It takes a healthy dose of recruiting, development, and X and O coaching ability. There is a reason that coaching is such a carousel lifestyle. You have to be able to recruit well to get the right players for your system. You have to be able to develop and nurture that talent and get absolutely every drop of talent and potential from the recruits. You also have to develop, install, and execute your gameplan better then your opponent. Dodge was able to recruit some really good talent here. His problem was that he was too rigid to change and wanted to force and will his system to success. Dickey's run was mainly based on one REALLY great recruiting year that he rode to a pretty good run. I don't think RV really ever liked him as he wasn't HIS guy. Dickey got disillusioned and went scorched earth. Mac was a rah rah kind of guy that could sell sand to a Sheik. He fit the mold of what RV said he was looking for at the time and was in the right place at the right time. He recruited poorly and his coaching couldn't overcome his talent in the end.

• Upvote 2

I agree that coaches must develop talent, etc. etc.

However, there is a reason shetland ponies and pack horses are not in the Kentucky Derby.

It doesn't make any difference how good their trainer is.

It all starts with recruiting athletes.

If a coach can't recruit the athletes the rest becomes a moot point.

50 minutes ago, casual fan said:

I agree that coaches must develop talent, etc. etc.

However, there is a reason shetland ponies and pack horses are not in the Kentucky Derby.

It doesn't make any difference how good their trainer is.

It all starts with recruiting athletes.

If a coach can't recruit the athletes the rest becomes a moot point.

But the exact same thing can be said for development and coaching. 

No one thing is bigger than the other. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, casual fan said:

How do you make rabbit stew?

First you have to get some rabbits.

Without any rabbits your just making meatless soup.

If you buy the finest cuts of rabbit available but then decide to cook it on a 700 degree grill for 45 minutes you get charcoal.

If you buy the finest cut of rabbit and cook it at the perfect temperature for the right amount of time but decide to add 30 ghost peppers and  fresh turds then you get Spicy Rabbit with Turd sauce.

All three aspects are important.