Tulane coach Willie Fritz announces his coaches and support staff

Harry

Tulane football coach Willie Fritz announced today the appointments of six position coaches and seven support staff members to his coaching staff.

Fritz's coaching staff features Alex Atkins, assistant head coach/offensive line coach, Doug Ruse, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Jack Curtis, defensive coordinator/safeties coach, Kevin Peoples, defensive line coach, Mike Mutz, linebackers coach and Jason Rollins, defensive backs coach.

Atkins, Ruse, Curtis, Peoples and Mutz each coached with Fritz over the past two seasons at Georgia Southern, while Rollins has been a member of the Tulane coaching staff for the last eight seasons.

Fritz will oversee special teams and the remaining position coaches— running back, tight end and receiver— will be announced at a later date.

The support staff hires include Shane Meyer, the director of football operations, Wesley Fritz, director of personnel, Matt Barrett, offensive analyst/recruiting, Johnny Jernigan, defensive analyst/recruiting, Mike Krysl, special teams analyst/recruiting and Kyle Speer, head football strength & conditioning coach.  Lindy Wertz will remain on the staff as the director of on-campus recruiting.

Each of the new hires served the past two seasons with Fritz at Georgia Southern, while Wertz has been on the Green Wave football staff for the last two seasons.

read more:  http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2016/01/tulane_coach_willie_fritz_anno.html

It will be interesting to see what offense Fritz runs at Tulane. 

Ruse was with Fritz at Sam Houston and was OC at Arkansas St in the mid 2000s. 

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

UNT90 telling us that this staff makes ours look like a JV squad in 4...3...2...1...

They have the better hire at head coach. He has won everywhere he has been and is bringing that winning staff with him almost in tact from Ga. Southern.

Tulane outhired UNT. Plain and simple. I wouldn't be surprised to see them contending for AAC title in a year or 3. 

Meanwhile, UNT takes a flier with a head coaching unknown. 

So, I think you can figure it out from there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 25

5 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I disagree that Tulane outhired us for head coach.  Time will tell us if they did.  We didn't "take a flyer", we took one of the top offensive coaches in all of college football.  It's a great hire for us.  

You have no idea if it's a great hire or not. There is no track record as a head coach in which to judge. There was with Fritz. 

Until Littrell outperforms Fritz as a head coach, Tulane clearly made the better hire. To say anything else is simply homerism at its homerest. 

Emmitt asked whether his assistants were better hires. The answer is clearly yes, as they have coached together for years and know each other and what to expect from each other.

And they have won. And won a lot. At places and under circumstances which made winning hard. 

Now if you want to fool yourself into believing we made the better hire, go ahead. Every sliver of tangible evidence says Fritz was the far better hire. 

But time will tell. It will be interesting to compare results at the end of next season.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 13

41 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You have no idea if it's a great hire or not.

Did you miss where I said " Time will tell us if they did"?  You have no idea if Fritz will be a great hire for Tulane.  Both coaches have impressive resume's in their own right but time will tell how well they do at the current schools.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

@Harrysaw traffic numbers slowing down so had to grab a stick to poke @UNT90 in his cage...

This is not our coach, and not even a conference mate or someone currently on our schedule.  If anyone else posted it, you'd move it to a different forum, Harry.

You give me way too much credit Dan.  I simply read the article and thought it was interesting to see who Fritz hired as assistants since we will likely be competing against them on recruits.  While I do prefer an active forum to a slow one  there really is no conspiracy theory here. 

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

@Harrysaw traffic numbers slowing down so had to grab a stick to poke @UNT90 in his cage...

This is not our coach, and not even a conference mate or someone currently on our schedule.  If anyone else posted it, you'd move it to a different forum, Harry.

Harry didn't poke 90...Emmitt did.

Speaking of poking....y'all want me to spice things up by bringing North Dakota State winning their 5th straight national championship yesterday into the discussion?

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Willie Fritz just sounds like a coach in New Orleans.  Maybe recruiting a guy based on the recruit's grandmother's jambalaya recipe.  I'd like a home and home with Tulane.  Except for travel, I'd rather play Tulane than Southern Meth.

Coach Littrell has a pretty good chance of not being buried in his win-loss record this first season.  If he could go 4-8 he could maybe get to .500 by season 3.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tulane made what looks to be a great hire.  I'm sure he would have been one of our top candidates, but he was holding out for the Iowa State job at the time.  I have no idea if he would have beaten out Littrell for the job here if he wanted it, and I have no idea if he would have come here if we waited on him.  Tulane ended up with the safer hire, we ended up with the high risk/high reward hire.  We'll see how it all works out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Did you miss where I said " Time will tell us if they did"?  You have no idea if Fritz will be a great hire for Tulane.  Both coaches have impressive resume's in their own right but time will tell how well they do at the current schools.  

Littrell has zero resume as a head coach. Zip, Zil, Nada. Littrell has never coached outside of the P5 environment. He has never been the head guy winning where winning is hard.

The TANGIBLE EVIDENCE says that Fritz is the MUCH better hire at this time. 

There is zero TANGIBLE  evidence that Littrell will or won't be a good hire, except for the woeful hiring record of the man that hired him. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Littrell has zero resume as a head coach. Zip, Zil, Nada. Littrell has never coached outside of the P5 environment. He has never been the head guy winning where winning is hard.

The TANGIBLE EVIDENCE says that Frotz is the MUCH better hire at this time. 

There is zero TANGIBLE  evidence that Littrell will or won't be a good hire, except for the woeful hiring record of the man that hired him. 

You're passionate about defending your "logic" most of the time. I think most of us get it and not saying it's a bad thing.

However, life is not always about having to defend your position at all costs. In this instance, for example, it's useless to defend and argue about this coaching hire comparison.

Yes, Littrell was a riskier hire than Fritz would've been. However, risk sometimes in life pays the greatest returns in life. We're all hoping that the risk was well worth the reward with Littrell, and if so, this one could end up being a much better hire than Fritz. There's also a good chance that won't ever be the case, so it's just pointless to waste time arguing about the same point over and over again, especially over something that has already been decided on...#fireRV. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The TANGIBLE EVIDENCE says that Fritz is the MUCH better hire at this time. 

"Zero"  I don't think it means what you think it means.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, bleedgreen4ever said:

You're passionate about defending your "logic" most of the time. I think most of us get it and not saying it's a bad thing.

However, life is not always about having to defend your position at all costs. In this instance, for example, it's useless to defend and argue about this coaching hire comparison.

Yes, Littrell was a riskier hire than Fritz would've been. However, risk sometimes in life pays the greatest returns in life. We're all hoping that the risk was well worth the reward with Littrell, and if so, this one could end up being a much better hire than Fritz. There's also a good chance that won't ever be the case, so it's just pointless to waste time arguing about the same point over and over again, especially over something that has already been decided on...#fireRV. 

Welcome to football message board off-season. This beats the hell outta helmet sticker talk...

I think.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Silent Eagle said:

Speaking of helmet stickers, what is  Litrell's stance on uniforms? Offseason talk is offseason talk. 

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on:

Our helmet logo

Oregon's unis?

Nike pro combat jerseys?

Black jerseys? 

Black jerseys if the coach has been rude to fans (it does matter to some)? 

• Upvote 1