Nick Starkel Top 4!

TheReal_jayD

46 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

doing all they know how to do

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2712609

Not as bad as UT fans, but they are probably mad that they are the punching bag of the SEC now.... Or the fact that CougarQueen can troll them about how UH stole their QB. It would be golden if UNT takes Starkel from under their nose. They would really hate the G5's after that.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Just curious. If they don't award academic scholarships (after all they are a prestigious institution of higher learning, which IS their primary reason to exist) then do they award any scholarships? And if so,what for?

I'm not an expert. My knowledge is based on the recent recruiting process I experienced with my nephew for hockey. Where other schools used the word "scholarship", ECAC schools used the word "grants". I don't know what the technical differences are between the two, but bottom line for my nephew... semantics.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

Search Results

Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution's Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.

I get the scholarship angle, however, academics are more important than athletics in my opinion.  I love UNT but it just doesn't compete with Yale on a resume.

That being said, if my kids went to any of the schools he's choosing from I'd be thrilled.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Don't get me wrong. I think we are still an option. I would just have to think that UCLA and A&M are probably the front runners at this point based on previous word that he wanted to go to the west coast and with playing in the SEC at a school with a serious hole at QB. Making the list is a big deal and other kids will take notice. That snowball is starting to pick up steam downhill.

A&M is unstable right now a frustrated fan base and a coach on the hot seat who is probably looking to get new job before he is fired.  UCLA is more stable situation but it is so far away.   

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Just curious. If they don't award academic scholarships (after all they are a prestigious institution of higher learning, which IS their primary reason to exist) then do they award any scholarships? And if so,what for?

Because of the prestige and competitiveness of the Ivy Leagues, the way it works is...you get in, you're one of the top students around.  You and your family can afford it, you pay for it.  Don't like it?  Plenty of rich kids whose parents could afford the best prep schools to get them ready for a top-level education are ready to take your place.  Can't afford it?  No problem; that's when the schools step in and help out.

The key is that they want (and can get) the best and brightest most of the time anyway, and if you get in, you're likely a scholarship-level student anywhere else anyway.  So they don't NEED to give you a scholarship.  But if you can't afford it, and are awesome enough to deserve a chance there, they have plenty of rich donors who will make sure that they don't lose your brilliant mind to one of their rivals.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

A&M is unstable right now a frustrated fan base and a coach on the hot seat who is probably looking to get new job before he is fired.  UCLA is more stable situation but it is so far away.   

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-offensive-coordinator-not-signed-yet/

So this is good for us!

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I would expect him to lean Aggie after the UCLA OC moved over but if I'm Starkel, I have to seriously consider the ramifications of going to a school knowing the #1 dual-threat qb in the nation, Tate Martell, is coming in for four of my five years of eligibility.

He's a Spavital commit.   May not be coming.

On 1/6/2016 at 0:02 AM, Cr1028 said:

I would expect him to lean Aggie after the UCLA OC moved over but if I'm Starkel, I have to seriously consider the ramifications of going to a school knowing the #1 dual-threat qb in the nation, Tate Martell, is coming in for four of my five years of eligibility.

Dude he is only 5'10". Everyone knows you have to be 6'3" or from Iowa to be a D1 quarterback!

• Upvote 4

On 1/6/2016 at 0:30 AM, SilverEagle said:

They don't offer athletic scholarships. They do offer financial aid and academic scholarships.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UNT07 said:

https://twitter.com/nstarkel2/status/685995847306194945?s=09

Then he liked all aggie related tweets. I wonder if he knows about Martell. 

His sister seems to be a student at TAMU already... i am guessing he is leaning heavy toward A&M. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

His sister seems to be a student at TAMU already... i am guessing he is leaning heavy toward A&M. 

I would be surprised if he didn't choose TAM unfortunately. I have a buddy in the athletic department at TAM and he has a meh feeling about him as a player. He would be much more appreciated at unt! 

• Upvote 1

To be honest I think he has us in his top four as a favor to Littrell and co.  Truth is it helps us greatly just to get high level recruits to mention they are considering us. As you tear down perceptions that no one would play for UNT that has other options you can build from there.  I would be shocked if he chose us but he is helping our cause either way.