Tom Herman of UH sounds off on shock jocks

These clowns are garbage... especially that Nick guy.  Is this a legit radio show?   Continually cutting off your guest to bust his balls over something this petty... so dumb.

Coach Herman should have never gone on this "show", and for his sake, I hope he never does again.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Eagle1855 said:

The end is the best part. 

"Would you be interested in sitting down and having lunch?"

"Who is this?"

"Nick."

"Absolutely not. Go Coogs."

It's like watching you're drunk uncle argue with relatives at Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza/Festivus. It's sorta fun to watch and listen to but super uncomfortable at the same time. Mostly lies and half-truths with a healthy mixture of cheap bourbon and regret. Oh well, one more season at UH like the last and Herman will be but a memory as he will have his pick of better jobs.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Herman is turning into a Houston legend.  This interview will only get him more pub.  The winning season, the grill, and now this interview will make kids want to play for him even more.  This has fired up a lot of old lax UH alumni and will keep UH in the news until signing day.

People will only put up with it for so long. Just ask Mike Leach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

It's like watching you're drunk uncle argue with relatives at Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza/Festivus. It's sorta fun to watch and listen to but super uncomfortable at the same time. Mostly lies and half-truths with a healthy mixture of cheap bourbon and regret. Oh well, one more season at UH like the last and Herman will be but a memory as he will have his pick of better jobs.

tumblr_mxvel4FAtz1qzh561o3_250.gif

3 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Herman got upset because he got busted in a recruiting violation and wanted to save face. He was also mad that his buddies got scooped.

No recruiting violation, especially since it was on the phone.  The only way it would have been a recruiting violation would have been in person (which it wasn't) and during the dead period (which it wasn't).  The problem is that the other QB recruit felt lied to about an in person visit from Allen which Herman said they didn't have.  It's about credibility with recruits.  Herman had been honest with the recruit about interest in Allen

Lopez is an Aggie hack who had his facts wrong.  When you say that someone is in Houston to visit and the person is in Arizona, that's a completely wrong fact.  Even Allen's parents were confused when they saw the story because he was home with them. 

All Lopez had to do was call and ask if Allen was in town and Herman would have told him no.  End of story.  Lopez thought his "source" had a scoop.  He either didn't have a source, which is likely, or his source was wrong, which is still Lopez's job to follow up.

And his buddies didn't get scooped.  His buddies had the facts correct.  Lopez is just POed that he thought he had a scoop, but instead he was flat out wrong.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Bingo. He had already developed this reputation around town of being obtuse to journalists. Going after the Texans' official radio station & admitting he was friends with all the UH reporters is, well, not smart.

Seems like you have an anti UH/herman thing going, which is cool.  But the two hosts are the ones looking bad.  Not Herman.  If it were the only radio in town, then it would be a bad deal, but there's 3 other radio stations that he has a pretty good rep with and the 3 or more TV outlets.  He's constantly on the other stations weekly.

Leach didn't like media at all and has a weird personality, Where herman has an issue with this one situation.  And leach seems to be doing just fine right about now.

• Upvote 1

And if you want to know about the quality of Lopez's other sources, he said his source told him that Herman was going to be head coach at the University of Georgia.  His source?  A twitter account named UGA_Insider with less than 100 followers.  So if you put together a twitter account and named it UNT_Insider, got a couple of buddies to follow it, and said that RV was fired and UH's AD was taking over, Lopez would consider you a source.

Edited by NTXCoog
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

No recruiting violation, especially since it was on the phone.  The only way it would have been a recruiting violation would have been in person (which it wasn't) and during the dead period (which it wasn't).  The problem is that the other QB recruit felt lied to about an in person visit from Allen which Herman said they didn't have.  It's about credibility with recruits.  Herman had been honest with the recruit about interest in Allen

Lopez is an Aggie hack who had his facts wrong.  When you say that someone is in Houston to visit and the person is in Arizona, that's a completely wrong fact.  Even Allen's parents were confused when they saw the story because he was home with them. 

All Lopez had to do was call and ask if Allen was in town and Herman would have told him no.  End of story.  Lopez thought his "source" had a scoop.  He either didn't have a source, which is likely, or his source was wrong, which is still Lopez's job to follow up.

And his buddies didn't get scooped.  His buddies had the facts correct.  Lopez is just POed that he thought he had a scoop, but instead he was flat out wrong.

Just curious...they asked him this specifically, didn't they? And he said, "no, not really." Maybe he was just worked up at that point and didn't want to seem to agree with them on anything?

1 minute ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Houston fans in general are...well, stupid

Your application for signature quote is still being processed, but just between you and me, you have a hell of a resume and things are looking good.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I can't deny it. UH & Texans fans still think Case Keenum deserved to be starting QB. Or Brandon Weeden. lol. Instead of embracing their relatively strong local college they root for...LSU? UT? A&M? 

Then they all bandwagoned to the Rangers after the Astros implosion...it's kinda funny tbh

Most sports fans suck, but it's still fun to be faux haughty about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Okay, let me tear down your erroneous argument.

1.) There is no proof either way whether or not Kyle Allen was in Houston for a meeting. But if a meeting were to have happened, yes, it would have been in the dead period. His sources may have been incorrect, but he never stated it as a fact, he said sources said.

2.) Well, considering the other QB recruit didn't say that, wrong again.

3.) Ah, there we go. He went to A&M that is why UH has such angst towards him. He was a well respected writer from the Chronicle, wouldn't call him a hack, except that he doesn't really care much either way about UH. Also, it wasn't his fact, it was his sources' reports.

4.) No, because if it were true, Herman would not have said anything...because it's a recruiting violation. 

5.) He is a well-respected writer with a reputation and a job to uphold. Lying about something like that isn't really likely. Likely his sources were just wrong.

6.) If it was a true story from these sources (which we don't know either way), he is suggesting that the press people who follow him (not many) are his friends. That is a conflict-of-interest. "Buddies" would never blow a story about this being a recruiting violation...which, according to Lopez's sources, it would be. He wasn't wrong, his sources were wrong. Once again, semantics, yes. Doesn't require a retraction or apology from Lopez...ESPN doesn't issue an apology every time they speculate meetings that never happened because "sources" said so.

Bottom line is, UH's AD should've never let Herman speak on the subject. Air silence is better than lowering himself to talking heads level.

1.) Definitely don't have an anti-UH/Herman thing. Considering Herman came from the team I rooted for before UNT, Ohio State, and coaches for a school I have alumni in the family, I don't really have anything against UH. Other than their idiot fans, but Houston fans in general are...well, stupid, in regards to football.

2.) No, because a majority of Houston doesn't really care about UH. The 30,000 fans that attend UH games are microscopic in the grand scheme of the 5 million people in Houston metro. It was making rounds around town and Twitter was, honestly, split. The rest of the day 610's ratings were through the roof. In addition, 790 is substantially behind 610 in ratings...so it doesn't really matter if Herman is on 790 sweet talking the guys. He's often on Triple Threat on 610 as well. However, Ohio sports media was having a field day, and calling him an always entertaining interview because of his antics on air. Not to mention, Herman was the one insulting and belittling the hosts. The representation of a so-called Tier One university should conduct himself in a more professional manner on air. Take Bill Belichick. He just would've said a two word answer. Or Texans coach Bill O'Brien. There's a reason why sports media across the country was calling the interview unprecedented. Because every other coach is smart enough to not lower themselves to In the Loop's level...which is kind of like The Hardline, in that they more or less exist to troll local sports.

3.) I wouldn't suggest Leach is doing just fine...considering he was kicked out of a place with unlimited resources and now is hanging around at Wazzu in the 6-6/7-5 range permanently.

Wow you hate UH a lot...you are going to be miserable the next few years if you live in Houston...UH is blowing up...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Okay, let me tear down your erroneous argument.

1.) There is no proof either way whether or not Kyle Allen was in Houston for a meeting. But if a meeting were to have happened, yes, it would have been in the dead period. His sources may have been incorrect, but he never stated it as a fact, he said sources said.

Allen's parents said he was in Arizona with them.  Is that not proof to you?  Or does Lopez know more about where Allen is than his parents that he was with.

If the meeting happened, which there is proof that it didn't, dead period started 12/14/15.  Per Lopez's article, the meeting was to occur on 12/13.  Therefore not in the dead period.

So he can hide behind "sources said".  So if I say my sources say John Lopez has sex with goats, is that ok even if it is not the truth?  After all, I didn't say it, my sources did

2.) Well, considering the other QB recruit didn't say that, wrong again.

3.) Ah, there we go. He went to A&M that is why UH has such angst towards him. He was a well respected writer from the Chronicle, wouldn't call him a hack, except that he doesn't really care much either way about UH. Also, it wasn't his fact, it was his sources' reports.

Who says Lopez is well respected?  A&M fans?  He said that Sumlin was going to AZ.  Did he?  He said he had sources saying Herman was going to GA.  Did he?  He is catching hell from reporters and other talk show hosts about this.  Haven't seen a single reporter or talk show host in Houston supporting him.

4.) No, because if it were true, Herman would not have said anything...because it's a recruiting violation. 

Again not a recruiting violation and again he's been proven wrong by Allen's parents,.

5.) He is a well-respected writer with a reputation and a job to uphold. Lying about something like that isn't really likely. Likely his sources were just wrong.

His reputation at this point in his career is as a shock jock on sports radio.  He gains plenty from lying because he's controversial and is getting some people to tune in to see what other garbage he'll throw against the wall.

6.) If it was a true story from these sources (which we don't know either way), he is suggesting that the press people who follow him (not many) are his friends. That is a conflict-of-interest. "Buddies" would never blow a story about this being a recruiting violation...which, according to Lopez's sources, it would be. He wasn't wrong, his sources were wrong. Once again, semantics, yes. Doesn't require a retraction or apology from Lopez...ESPN doesn't issue an apology every time they speculate meetings that never happened because "sources" said so.

Bottom line is, UH's AD should've never let Herman speak on the subject. Air silence is better than lowering himself to talking heads level.

Again we know it wasn't a true story.  Even if he had "sources" (hopefully better than UGA_Insider which he has cited before), all it took was a quick call to Herman or UH's athletic dept.  Nope.  He didn't even attempt that

And there are quite a few coaches with good relationships with coaches, ADs, etc.  Lopez had NO relationship or source at UH.  And if you think a reporter is going to suppress a story that will advance their career to protect a buddy coach, you're a fool.  If you think Berman or Duarte (the real respected journalists in Houston sports, not Lopez) only listens to Herman or the SID, you're crazy.  They have official and unofficial sources.  And they get the story right.  Never seen those 2 say a thing about UH sports that wasn't true.  Lopez is wrong quite frequently and always negatively.

1.) Definitely don't have an anti-UH/Herman thing. Considering Herman came from the team I rooted for before UNT, Ohio State, and coaches for a school I have alumni in the family, I don't really have anything against UH. Other than their idiot fans, but Houston fans in general are...well, stupid, in regards to football.

Ah yes, UH fans are stupid about football... And you are a beacon of football knowledge saying we don't know if Allen was in Houston, despite his parents saying he was in AZ with them.  We have 1 main idiot fan that bothers UNT fans, and too many other fanbases, CougarKing.  We hate him too.  He's banned from our message board and many others.  I wish you guys would ban him because I hate seeing his stuff and his tainting of UH fans' reputations.  I think you'll find most of our fans to be knowledgeable and polite, just like most UNT fans (although I've seen some idiot ones from your group too.  You don't fall in that category even though I'm disagreeing with you today).  But there are the CKs out there for all teams that make their fanbases look bad.

2.) No, because a majority of Houston doesn't really care about UH. The 30,000 fans that attend UH games are microscopic in the grand scheme of the 5 million people in Houston metro. It was making rounds around town and Twitter was, honestly, split. The rest of the day 610's ratings were through the roof. In addition, 790 is substantially behind 610 in ratings...so it doesn't really matter if Herman is on 790 sweet talking the guys. He's often on Triple Threat on 610 as well. However, Ohio sports media was having a field day, and calling him an always entertaining interview because of his antics on air. Not to mention, Herman was the one insulting and belittling the hosts. The representation of a so-called Tier One university should conduct himself in a more professional manner on air. Take Bill Belichick. He just would've said a two word answer. Or Texans coach Bill O'Brien. There's a reason why sports media across the country was calling the interview unprecedented. Because every other coach is smart enough to not lower themselves to In the Loop's level...which is kind of like The Hardline, in that they more or less exist to troll local sports. However, getting your wife to start attacking local sports media is unprofessional, no matter how you slice it.

I'm going to be nice and respectful to all the UNT fans here regarding relevancy and fan counts based in a large metroplex.  I hope that Seth Littrell and UNT have enough success to have any story have any national prominence of this type, positive or negative.

3.) I wouldn't suggest Leach is doing just fine...considering he was kicked out of a place with unlimited resources and now is hanging around at Wazzu in the 6-6/7-5 range permanently.

UNT fans would kill for the success he had at TT.  Sadly they'd rather have his Wazzu history (2 bowl games in 4 years, 21-29 overall) than the last 4 years under McCarney.  Hopefully Littrell turns that around.

And since when did TT have unlimited resources?  One of the biggest sources of tension between the TT administration and Leach was that he was always looking for a new job, partially just to get raises.  If he was paid his worth at TT especially relative to the success level he had vs other Big 12 coaches, that wouldn't have been happening.

And here's a new addition to Lopez's bio  "In my time covering sports in Houston, you are the 10th Houston Cougars head football coach that I’ve covered. You also are the best, in my opinion. I’m a huge fan of yours. My son is a proud Houston Cougar and I regularly go to games — as a fan."  Per sources to the Houston Press (I just had to):  "It could have all been prevented if Lopez and/or Wright had ever actually bothered to make their presence known at the University of Houston. They never attended a practice this season. They never came to a game. They never came to a press conference. They had Herman on just once during the season, and never bothered to talk to him at any other time. "  More lies from Lopez

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I can't deny it. UH & Texans fans still think Case Keenum deserved to be starting QB. Or Brandon Weeden. lol.

Jeff Fisher expects Case Keenum back as starting QB of Rams next season

• Upvote 1