Meacham Turns Down Tx State

James329

No surprise here. Even IF their "17" could round up the dough, the situation itself is very nasty. They are going to have to settle for something much less. This is a job for...

200_s.gif

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Meacham "How much can you guys pay me?"

TxSt "How much do you make now?"

Meacham "$350,000"

TxSt: "Uhh... Hey did we mention we have a really cool river!" 

200.gif

• Upvote 3

There's been a bit of a spat between TexAgs and 24/7 over Meacham going to A&M.  24/7 claimed Meacham was leaving for A&M.  TexAgs said it was Muzzone(sp) from UCLA.  TexAgs then said their OC is definitely not  going to be Meacham.  Now 24/7 is claiming they may have been wrong about Meacham after all.

Any time a school...(TCU in this case)...or any other school for that matter....punks both tU and the Aggies in the same football season is a funny thing to me.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Franchione was making 425K. My bet is that they offered Meacham 500K or thereabouts. I am now glad that he didn't come here. Dude gets a raise and its not "substantial" enough for him. 

Maybe the problem was that they wouldn't pay enough in salaries for assistants to bring in a decent staff.  Maybe after interviewing at UNT he thought all Texas FBS schools would pay like that.  Who knows?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Excellent choice.

Rick

I second that emotion! Withers would have been just fine for us and I think he will do well at TX State. I don't know offhand what his recruiting situation is there this year but they should be fine going forward. Fair-minded people should already be giving him a mulligan for this upcoming season under the circumstances.

39 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Excellent choice.

Rick

Not sure I agree with that.  He is bringing his staff with and they are (with one exception) from the East Coast with zero Texas experience.  

While he has produced a winner out East he has ZERO experience within the state of Texas. 

http://jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=football#coaches_anchor

Just saying that time will tell on this as to whether one can transplant an entire coaching staff over to another region of the country and experience success in both recruiting and gameday scenarios.

*Edit- Forgot about the two years of being a DB coach at Texas before most of the people he will recruit in Texas were born.

2 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Not sure I agree with that.  He is bringing his staff with and they are (with one exception) from the East Coast with zero Texas experience.  

While he has produced a winner out East he has ZERO experience within the state of Texas. 

http://jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=football#coaches_anchor

Just saying that time will tell on this as to whether one can transplant an entire coaching staff over to another region of the country and experience success in both recruiting and gameday scenarios.

I think he may fit a profile Rick likes. Ran the ball 60% to 40% passing as a HC.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

This hire will be interesting to follow.  I have a theory that when you transfer your coaching team virtually intact from one school to another, it will be very efficient in the short term (efficient in terms of results). Due to the poor timing, a quick fix is needed here. I'm going to watch this one.

11 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

This hire will be interesting to follow.  I have a theory that when you transfer your coaching team virtually intact from one school to another, it will be very efficient in the short term (efficient in terms of results). Due to the poor timing, a quick fix is needed here. I'm going to watch this one.

Agreed on their need for a quick fix...... but uh....Todd Dodge

12 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Agreed on their need for a quick fix...... but uh....Todd Dodge

Ooops! I should have elaborated on that and narrowed my theory's scope to HC and Staff moving from one NCAA institution to another. Good catch...I wasn't thinking about the "Dodge Anomaly".

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Franchione was making 425K. My bet is that they offered Meacham 500K or thereabouts. I am now glad that he didn't come here. Dude gets a raise and its not "substantial" enough for him. 

The average salary for a Div 1 HFC was $1.64 Million in 2012. So perhaps he was just looking for something near market rate. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/college-football-coaches-contracts-analysis-pay-increase/1715435/