Dunbar, Jack Crawford hope to remain in Dallas

Harry

Monday marked the last time several players will walk through the halls of Valley Ranch. The Cowboys have 18 unrestricted free agents, and it’s a safe bet most of them will find new homes this off-season.

Running back Lance Dunbar and defensive lineman Jack Crawford expressed an interest in returning to the team. Others, such as linebacker Rolando McClain, refused comment as they packed up their belongings.

For a guy such as Dunbar, the Cowboys are the only team he has known in his professional career. The North Texas product carved out a niche as a third-down back and returner before sustaining a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury in Week 4 at New Orleans.

Dunbar, 25, said his rehab is going well, although he has no timetable on when he’ll be cleared for football activities.

“Why wouldn’t I want to be here?” Dunbar said. “There’s not much I really can do. I got hurt. Whatever happens, happens.

“I’m not really focused on that. Just trying to get back healthy before anything happens, so I can get back to playing at a high level like I was before.”

Dunbar, who joined the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2012, finished this season with 67 rushing yards on five carries, and 215 receiving yards on 21 receptions.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article53007765.html#storylink=cpy

Lance could have been a huge weapon for the Cowboys.. at least he was until he got hurt each season. From 2012 - 2015 he was available for only ONE full 16 game season. I honestly love the guy as I am a North Texas Alum and have so many great Mean Green memories of him playing here. However, as a Cowboy Fan I think the time has come to say it. I don't know if it is due to his size or just bad luck, but Lance Dunbar is injury prone. At some point his durability must be comparable to his amazing skill set. I truly hope he proves me and many others wrong this coming season, and he plays for a team where he can make a definite impact. I want him to do well, but I also want Dallas to bounce back from a horrific season and we need play-makers who can stay on the field. Dallas currently has the 4th overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and could very well use it to get a top notch runner. Darren McFadden, Robert Turbin, or even Lucky Whitehead could play the receiver "out of the backfield" role for Dallas. I believe Lance has missed too many opportunities to contribute here and needs a clean start somewhere else. Having said that, Dallas will likely bring him back.  That's Jerry Jones seeing a player's "Potential".

I know I'll catch it for this, and I hate saying it because I think the world of Lance Dunbar. Still, facts are facts and Bill Parcells said it best.. "You are what you are".

GMG