Did I Miss It?

KRAM1

13 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yes, very true. But NOTHING makes a university more money and credibility in a quicker time frame than athletics. I want academics to be top of the line as much as the next educated person. But I will be the first to tell you that improving academic buildings, better professors, more hi-tech gear, more technology, more research funding, more applicants, more aspiring students, and everything in between, put athletics as the tip of the spear. 

How much money are the vast majority of athletics programs actually making? I don't believe there are more than 10-20 programs that actually make money. Athletics is an advertising mechanism for universities first, not a profit center. They get the name out and being good at athletics gets the name out better. The goal is for them to make enough money so that they don't add cost to the university for that marketing. The second thing they provide is campus experience. Being able to go to games bonds students to the university so they are more likely to give later because of happy memories. There are a lot of other things that having athletics brings, but money is not really one of them.

36 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

How much money are the vast majority of athletics programs actually making? I don't believe there are more than 10-20 programs that actually make money. Athletics is an advertising mechanism for universities first, not a profit center. They get the name out and being good at athletics gets the name out better. The goal is for them to make enough money so that they don't add cost to the university for that marketing. The second thing they provide is campus experience. Being able to go to games bonds students to the university so they are more likely to give later because of happy memories. There are a lot of other things that having athletics brings, but money is not really one of them.

0_o

16 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

0_o

I am guessing you disagree. 

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/ 

Have a look at that. Most programs are not in the black and are taking a significant amount of subsidy money from the university. The numbers are big, but the margin is negative. Just because it takes a lot of money to run the program does not mean that you are generating more revenue than is going out with costs. For the big conference schools, the problem is going away, but that may well be temporary as attendance declines may catch up with TV money gains. For schools like us, the AD gets most of its budget from subsidies, i.e. the money generated by the department does not exceed expenses. 

Also, your argument that the best schools put athletics at the forefront of their consideration is bunk. On one end, the Ivy League schools don't and seem to have done ok. On the other end of that spectrum are the SEC schools with questionable academics and great athletics. Having a great athletics program is great for a university from a marketing standpoint because it makes the school a destination, but it does not necessarily correlate to academic success.

• Upvote 1

On January 5, 2016 at 8:05 PM, GMG24 said:

You must be privy to information... Lol or you believe multiple media sources (football scoop) that this is a done deal. Thanks for clarifying! 

Fly is one of the 17. I may not often agree with his conclusions on AD matters, but I can personally attest to his depth of knowledge that most everyone else is not privy to.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Fly is one of the 17. I may not often agree with his conclusions on AD matters, but I can personally attest to his depth of knowledge that most everyone else is not privy to.

And if you don't believe it, he will be around here soon enough to tell you how much more info he has than you and how dumb your opinion is, yet not share any of that info with you.

Very Marie Antoinette of him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

48 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Thanks. I knew that which is why I said you must be privy to information then said LOL.