Did I Miss It?

KRAM1

7 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

OK, Yes, I have been out of town over the holidays, but did try to keep up with the Mean Green as best as I could.  But, did I miss the official announcement of the hiring of Mike Ekeler as the new Mean Green defensive coordinator?  I keep reading Vito's articles talking about coaching hires and Ekeler is always mentioned as the DC.  Has there been any official announcement from either Coach Littrell or the athletic department regarding this hire?

Meanwhile, back to KRAM's question which I have not seen an answer for......

I have not seen anything either and was wondering the same.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, rws69 said:

These threads remind me of what one of my profs aid when I was in grad school.  He had written a question for one of the doctoral students.  When he got the test back, the student had written, " I don't know the answer to this question, but I do know" and proceeded to write his own question.  The prof said the answer was pretty good.  We asked him what he did.  He said I flunked him.  He did not answer my question.  These threads can get like that often.

29 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

The fact rem

6 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Who cares what Sam Houston State grads see us as?  

The fact remains that the CULTURE, at UNT must changes. The team, admin, coaches, office personnel, students & alumni must all change. I am not taking about putting on rose colored glasses. There is plenty that I want to see changed and most of it has been addressed. However, until we speak and act more positively for our school and athletics. We will not see sustained change. The run through the wall support type change. 

We, I include myself, must be the unwavering group that is looked to. I am excited that Lattrell wants lettemen involved, maybe he will begin to use us to his advantage. 

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Ole Green Guts said:

The fact rem

The fact remains that the CULTURE, at UNT must changes. The team, admin, coaches, office personnel, students & alumni must all change. I am not taking about putting on rose colored glasses. There is plenty that I want to see changed and most of it has been addressed. However, until we speak and act more positively for our school and athletics. We will not see sustained change. The run through the wall support type change. 

We, I include myself, must be the unwavering group that is looked to. I am excited that Lattrell wants lettemen involved, maybe he will begin to use us to his advantage. 

I'll echo this. Yeah, we got our teeth kicked in 11 times this past season, but I still flew my Mean Green lawn flag every game day in my neighborhood. You know why? A fan base that will support its team through all the crap and idiocracy is still a lot more attractive than a fan base that completely shuts up and disappears when things get bad. 

Sure, a lot of people don't know who we are outside of Texas, but if we all just ran off now and quit donating, then nobody inside D/FW will know who we are. 

Sure, this means I will take it in the shorts every time I'm around my TCU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas and (holding back a vurp) SMU alumni friends/family. But every single one of them were LOUDLY supportive of their schools through the muck and mire, too. Times like this galvanize a fan base. Honestly, I don't care who the A. D. is. Yes, I believe R. V. has done a terrible job in the past with football and basketball. But frankly, I don't care who gets the credit if Coach Littrell turns this ship around. (And honestly, I'm all-in on the dude. I truly believe in him to do this and like what he brings to the table). I just care that this ship gets turned around. 

That's why you'll never see me whiz all over my own team. I'm going to support them regardless of what happens. However, that doesn't mean I'm "happy" with any shortcomings. And I can promise you that's more appealing to a recruit looking to come to UNT. If they know the fans have their backs even when wins are hard to come by, they will salivate over the thoughts of what that fanbase would look like when they're competing for a conference championship. If they treat the players like kings when they lose 11 games, the fans will treat them like gods when they win 11.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

They don't know about us, either. See Chip Kelly's "North Texas State Fightin' Armadillos" comments earlier this year.

I am not from Texas. Before attending North Texas I had never been to Denton.  I knew no one who had attended UNT and I have no family affiliation with UNT. Before choosing UNT, I had heard of UNT. I knew of North Texas as "North Texas." Not NTSU or the Armadillos or any other name. Just North Texas. People who mock us by calling us NTSU or Armadillos are doing so out of hate for us or because they are trying to be funny. I was just talking to my banker earlier today who lives in Pensacola, Florida. He asked what college I attended and I told him North Texas. He said, UNT? The point is that people know us. They may not respect us because of our putrid athletics and rightfully so, but they know who we are. Just goes to prove how important athletics is and perception. If athletics are good every single thing about a university will significantly be better. If Smastrek wants to make UNT tier 1, make athletics a legitimate priority above all else. Because if success is obtained while attempting to make athletics significantly better every other departments budgets will expand. In regards to Tier 1 status, our research dollars could multiply if we start getting better athletics into this university. The value of our degree will increase. It's not fair but that is the way it is. They know us, they just don't respect us and we haven't given them a reason to so I can't say I blame them. We are referenced by several major publications the "Not-So Mean Green." We were called out during the ACC championship game as such as well. We have one person to thank for all of this. Rick V. Since the year 2000 athletics, viewership, dollar amounts, TV contracts, fan interest, etc. have all increased to levels only imaginable 40-50 years ago and even just 25 years ago. Since the explosion of college athletics onto the scene we have literally dog paddled around the kiddie pool because of incompetence within the athletic department and at the athletic director position. We have no respect from no one. But to say they don't know about us would be naive because remember, there are only 128 of us in the country. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

They are all in town and are waiting to "clear" the hr process before being formally announced

You must be privy to information... Lol or you believe multiple media sources (football scoop) that this is a done deal. Thanks for clarifying! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFranchise said:

I'll echo this. Yeah, we got our teeth kicked in 11 times this past season, but I still flew my Mean Green lawn flag every game day in my neighborhood. You know why? A fan base that will support its team through all the crap and idiocracy is still a lot more attractive than a fan base that completely shuts up and disappears when things get bad. 

Sure, a lot of people don't know who we are outside of Texas, but if we all just ran off now and quit donating, then nobody inside D/FW will know who we are. 

Sure, this means I will take it in the shorts every time I'm around my TCU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas and (holding back a vurp) SMU alumni friends/family. But every single one of them were LOUDLY supportive of their schools through the muck and mire, too. Times like this galvanize a fan base. Honestly, I don't care who the A. D. is. Yes, I believe R. V. has done a terrible job in the past with football and basketball. But frankly, I don't care who gets the credit if Coach Littrell turns this ship around. (And honestly, I'm all-in on the dude. I truly believe in him to do this and like what he brings to the table). I just care that this ship gets turned around. 

That's why you'll never see me whiz all over my own team. I'm going to support them regardless of what happens. However, that doesn't mean I'm "happy" with any shortcomings. And I can promise you that's more appealing to a recruit looking to come to UNT. If they know the fans have their backs even when wins are hard to come by, they will salivate over the thoughts of what that fanbase would look like when they're competing for a conference championship. If they treat the players like kings when they lose 11 games, the fans will treat them like gods when they win 11.

Can only give one plus for this, but it merits more than that.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

I am not from Texas. Before attending North Texas I had never been to Denton.  I knew no one who had attended UNT and I have no family affiliation with UNT. Before choosing UNT, I had heard of UNT. I knew of North Texas as "North Texas." Not NTSU or the Armadillos or any other name. Just North Texas. People who mock us by calling us NTSU or Armadillos are doing so out of hate for us or because they are trying to be funny. I was just talking to my banker earlier today who lives in Pensacola, Florida. He asked what college I attended and I told him North Texas. He said, UNT? The point is that people know us. They may not respect us because of our putrid athletics and rightfully so, but they know who we are. Just goes to prove how important athletics is and perception. If athletics are good every single thing about a university will significantly be better. If Smastrek wants to make UNT tier 1, make athletics a legitimate priority above all else. Because if success is obtained while attempting to make athletics significantly better every other departments budgets will expand. In regards to Tier 1 status, our research dollars could multiply if we start getting better athletics into this university. The value of our degree will increase. It's not fair but that is the way it is. They know us, they just don't respect us and we haven't given them a reason to so I can't say I blame them. We are referenced by several major publications the "Not-So Mean Green." We were called out during the ACC championship game as such as well. We have one person to thank for all of this. Rick V. Since the year 2000 athletics, viewership, dollar amounts, TV contracts, fan interest, etc. have all increased to levels only imaginable 40-50 years ago and even just 25 years ago. Since the explosion of college athletics onto the scene we have literally dog paddled around the kiddie pool because of incompetence within the athletic department and at the athletic director position. We have no respect from no one. But to say they don't know about us would be naive because remember, there are only 128 of us in the country. 

Dude. Post more like this. This was good reading, your other garbage not so much! Good stuff Ben. 

2 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

I don't believe any media sources so you decide

??? who do you believe? 

Athletics should never be the top priority of any university.  The top priority is teaching.  Athletics has little to do with being a Tier I institution.  Becoming Tier I is based more on research spending and obtaining grants.  There are a number of prestigious schools with so-so to worse athletic programs.  I want us to have a great athletic program, but achievement in one area does not necessarily equate to achievement in the other.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Athletics should never be the top priority of any university.  The top priority is teaching.  Athletics has little to do with being a Tier I institution.  Becoming Tier I is based more on research spending and obtaining grants.  There are a number of prestigious schools with so-so to worse athletic programs.  I want us to have a great athletic program, but achievement in one area does not necessarily equate to achievement in the other.  

This is a NT athletics-centric message board, so there will be emphasis on athletics here... But I hope none of us lose sight of this. 

12 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Yeah... Athletics should ALWAYS be the biggest priority. Easiest window into the university. Then heavily fun every thing else. Pretty simple. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

They are all in town and are waiting to "clear" the hr process before being formally announced

There's your answer @KRAM1.  Recall, it took a while for the two earlier guys from WASt to be announced, and that was all prior to the Winter Break.  I think we'll hear something soon after the HR folks clear out their emails & putting out fires from being gone on vacation and get back to work.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Yes, very true. But NOTHING makes a university more money and credibility in a quicker time frame than athletics. I want academics to be top of the line as much as the next educated person. But I will be the first to tell you that improving academic buildings, better professors, more hi-tech gear, more technology, more research funding, more applicants, more aspiring students, and everything in between, put athletics as the tip of the spear. 

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I know. I don't hear about UNT at all...

Come on Awesome Sauce, as positive as you are about UNT, I thought you might be working on starting an Alumnj Chapter in your community.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Come on Awesome Sauce, as positive as you are about UNT, I thought you might be working on starting an Alumnj Chapter in your community.

Nope. There was a time I considered doing just that, but have since realized that I would be working harder than the AD at a fruitless task.

How is your Midland chapter progressing? 

Wait...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Personal banker huh? 

200.gif

200.gif

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

haha  Not hardly. 

Don't try to deny it!. We might need your money for the buyout of a coach. Nothing solid yet. We'll call him. Anthony Jenford. Asking for a friend.

Anyway, send your money to:

Basketball Purgatory

C/O Green Room

123 Eagle Dr

Denton TX 

• Upvote 1