Did I Miss It?

KRAM1

OK, Yes, I have been out of town over the holidays, but did try to keep up with the Mean Green as best as I could.  But, did I miss the official announcement of the hiring of Mike Ekeler as the new Mean Green defensive coordinator?  I keep reading Vito's articles talking about coaching hires and Ekeler is always mentioned as the DC.  Has there been any official announcement from either Coach Littrell or the athletic department regarding this hire?

That question being asked, I do like the way the new coaching staff is shaping up under Coach Littrell.  Lots of experience at the D1 level and lots of Texas ties.  That should work well in UNT's favor on the recruiting trail.  When Coach Littrell says things like "I know that is important here" and "My staff will know Texas high school football and we will be relentless on the recruiting trail" my heart bleeds Mean Green green even more.  I would like to believe that local and state-wide HS coaches will begin to see UNT coaches on their doorsteps much more often than in the past and that HS head coaches and assistants will be on a first name basis with several UNT coaches.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

"I would like to believe that local and state-wide HS coaches will begin to see UNT coaches on their doorsteps much more often than in the past and that HS head coaches and assistants will be on a first name basis with several UNT coaches."

One would think that is in the job description of a head coach and his staff.  It was hard to recruit to North Texas, Coach McCarney, because you and your staff didn't make a hard enough effort!  McCarney "scammed" North Texas!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Seth Littrell will find it very difficult to recruit North Texas once the glitz and glamour of the UNC offense wears off. Unless he wins immediately, expect slightly better than Mac classes. He just won't be stupid enough to admit it, like Mac did.

so much head shaking reading this post

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Because you live in a bubble in regards to North Texas's irrelevance? We have an incredible uphill fight. Littrell's hiring is a step in the right direction. Sam Houston State grads see us as their peer. That's the problem.

Y'all think that UNT should immediately become a powerhouse in G5. And while I would kill for that, it's a delusion. Will take many many years of winning to shake off perception, and then to become a G5 powerhouse.

Sorry, Sam Houston State does not see us as their peers. If they do, they are either dumb, delusional, or both. We don't play the same rate of football. Get outta here with that garbage. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Because you live in a bubble in regards to North Texas's irrelevance? We have an incredible uphill fight. Littrell's hiring is a step in the right direction. Sam Houston State grads see us as their peer. That's the problem.

Who cares what Sam Houston State grads see us as?  Thats like saying TCU has an uphill fight because some North Texas Grad thinks we could be the next TCU.  

We have all pieces in place to explode.  Everywhere this guy has been the offense has blown up.  Add a few scores in this year and keep the defense off the field who knows maybe there are 2-3 more wins.  Winning creates attitudes that can help one beat a team they have no business beating.  If you want to hate thats fine.  Don't try to justify it to me.  Offenses that score points keep defenses motivated to go out and play hard and make plays.  

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't be surprised at all. We suck. We know that and most of us openly admit that. Outsiders see the same thing as we do. However, Sam Houston State is FCS and we are FBS. That alone is a World of difference. No college football fan worth his/her salt would say that SHSU and North Texas are on level playing fields. SHSU fans might say that to toot their own horn, but they know what's up at the end of the day. Go outside the state of Texas and the average college football fan doesn't even know what a sam houston state is. 

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all. We suck. We know that and most of us openly admit that. Outsiders see the same thing as we do. However, Sam Houston State is FCS and we are FBS. That alone is a World of difference. No college football fan worth his/her salt would say that SHSU and North Texas are on level playing fields. SHSU fans might say that to toot their own horn, but they know what's up at the end of the day. Go outside the state of Texas and the average college football fan doesn't even know what a sam houston state is. 

They don't know about us, either. See Chip Kelly's "North Texas State Fightin' Armadillos" comments earlier this year.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Am I saying it's right? No. But if you went around any major Texas city other than DFW you'd be surprised to see what people thought of us. I live in Houston now, and it's the reality.

I'm not hating. I love this school and this team. I'm just not delusional. Most of DFW doesn't give a rats ass about UNT, and most of the state doesn't even know we play football. The amount of mocking "oh the Mean Green, right?" I get around Texas or being told "safety schools, right?" by SHSU, SFA, etc grads is sobering.

You can say it doesn't matter, but judging by Mac's meltdowns over recruiting shows the reality of the situation. Once Dodge's glitz ran out, same deal.

In terms of academics, no intelligent person would put UNT on the same level as SHSU and SFA.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Seth Littrell will find it very difficult to recruit North Texas once the glitz and glamour of the UNC offense wears off. Unless he wins immediately, expect slightly better than Mac classes. He just won't be stupid enough to admit it, like Mac did.

Littrell grew up in Oklahoma and coached at Tech for a number of years. I'm guessing he knows exactly the kind of issues he'll have trying to recruit kids to UNT. He just has confidence that he'll be able to overcome them.

There are so many people on this board I would not hire simply based on the fact they think things are hard or can't be done.  Challenging yes impossible, NO.  I have been waiting for believers in the Mean Green to lead us to Greener pastures!

gmg

• Upvote 7

30 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Do you live in DFW? Well, let me rephrase that. North Texas?

I grew up in Denton, lived in the Metroplex, lived in NW Houston and now live in west Texas.  I have yet to experience any of what you have posted.  Sure, people have seen our struggles lately, but since 2000 I have heard more people talk about our NOLA Bowls, the HOD Bowl, didn't you get a new stadium?, didn't you all move in to CUSA? and other questions similar to those than people comparing us to FCS Southland schools.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You must run in different circles than I do, because I don't hear us compared to any of those schools.

I know. I don't hear about UNT at all...

18 minutes ago, NM Green said:

There are so many people on this board I would not hire simply based on the fact they think things are hard or can't be done.  Challenging yes impossible, NO.  I have been waiting for believers in the Mean Green to lead us to Greener pastures!

gmg

People think things can't be done with a horrible manager running the show.

If your management skills were akin to Rick Villarreal's, I wouldn't go to work for you.

So, problem solved. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Glad you weren't involved in building the new stadium! This group wil not be out worked on the recruiting trail!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I know. I don't hear about UNT at all...

You must not represent our school very well then. Everyone that knows me at work knows I went to North Texas and asks about how we did in a given week. Are you embarrassed to let them know you are a Mean Green supporter? Are you going to continue to pay for club seats despite representing our school and its athletic programs as hopeless?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You must not represent our school very well then. Everyone that knows me at work knows I went to North Texas and asks about how we did in a given week. Are you embarrassed to let them know you are a Mean Green supporter? Are you going to continue to pay for club seats despite representing our school and its athletic programs as hopeless?

I'm not embarrassed, personally, to be an alum of UNT. Its a very solid school, especially for business. My degree has opened up many doors for my career here in the DFW Metroplex.

But its embarrassing to be a fan of our sports teams right now. If you aren't embarrassed at what we have rolled out in football in the last 12 years, I'm not sure what to say. Same goes for Benford-ball at the Super Pit.

I find it more than embarrassing when my clients, friends, and neighbors from other regional schools constantly laugh at me when I wear my Mean Green gear. As an aside, my personal favorite has been the "Shouldn't there be a piano on that shirt instead of a football?"--really awesome to hear that from my TCU neighbor...its not even the jokes from my SEC/Big XII pals that kill me (it's apples vs oranges and they know it), its getting laughed at by people who are grads of the following well-known football giants: Arkansas State, UTEP, Louisiana Tech, SMU, Rice, Houston, and, yes, Sam Houston State. And when the SHSU fan said we would have killed you guys this year if we played, all I can say is "Yep, no doubt". Throw in the SMU crowd that suddenly LOVES basketball again--while we are at a Trilli-esque level of suck, it just adds mayo to the turd sandwich we are given under RV's "visionary" leadership. I find that embarrassing.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

History says they are hopeless as long as Rick Villarreal remains AD. The fact that he can have the job performance record that he has and keep his job for 15 years is something that would ONLY happen at UNT. When UNT starts holding its head up when it comes to athletics, so will I. I will discourage any alumni from contributing one red cent until this happens. Because they will simply be throwing their money away.

But ill make you a deal. You give me the $7500 I paid for club seats, and I'll walk away right now.

Come on, let's see that UNT pride in action. Or are you just all hat and no cattle?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

2 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Y'all think that UNT should immediately become a powerhouse in G5. And while I would kill for that, it's a delusion. Will take many many years of winning to shake off perception, and then to become a G5 powerhouse.

Wait, I thought you were Baghdad Bob Jr when it came to how glorious things are with NT and the Athletic Department?  What happened?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not sure how even a bad football team embarrasses anyone not affiliated with the team.   I am a fan and have been one for decades because it is my school.  I am not happy with NT's athletic performance, but I certainly am not embarrassed that I support the team.

As for as the average fan's knowledge or concern with NT's sports, yes; most don't care anymore than they do about any other non upper tier P5 team.   

It is an exciting time for NT football, because there is a chance that this time the new coaching staff will work.  There are no guarantees, no matter who was hired, but at least cut the gloom and doom until a game is played.  

I'll be excited when Rick Villarreal is not involved in a coaching hire. Until that time, EVERY coaching hire should be met with trepidation  and wariness. 

Inckuding the one he will apparently make for this basketball program later this year...

<shakes head and wonders why he ever got involved in the circus that is UNT athletics in the first place>

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

History says they are hopeless as long as Rick Villarreal remains AD. The fact that he can have the job performance record that he has and keep his job for 15 years is something that would ONLY happen at UNT. When UNT starts holding its head up when it comes to athletics, so will I. I will discourage any alumni from contributing one red cent until this happens. Because they will simply be throwing their money away.

But ill make you a deal. You give me the $7500 I paid for club seats, and I'll walk away right now.

Come on, let's see that UNT pride in action. Or are you just all hat and no cattle?

Dude, I'm paying for a stay-at-home mom, a 2 year old, and a 4 year old. If I had $7500 bucks laying around I might pass out in disbelief.

• Upvote 2