MGB breaking news -- Alabama QB Alec Morris intends to transfer to UNT

Brett Vito

He may be a failure, as one can never be sure before a QB start a college game. But just looking at raw probabilities, chances that he is legit DI QB are sure better than with almost anyone else people had on the radar for us.

Also being developed under kiffikins is not a horrible thing for a QB. He may be a douchebag and all, but he is fairly decent at developing college QBs. And we need someone who had some development already done.

Now get a freshmen QB, and make sure we have a backup. UNT luck says, that if indeed he is as good as we may hope, then he will go down with a season ending injury this spring.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Uhh... What? No, I did not realize that. Alabama 3rd teamers are still 3-star recruits with multiple FBS and P5 offers... 

Bad blanket statement by 90. Some Alabama 3rd stringers are true freshman who are going to be in the NFL one day. Some are older kids who maybe should not have gone to Alabama. And guys in between. Likewise, some of our starters could crack their two-deep and some (most) wouldn't.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

What's the logic on being negative about this recruit? Prime example is look what La Tech accomplished with their QB transfers.

2014 -  QB Cody Sokol transfers from Iowa to La Tech - Heart of Dallas Bowl

2015 - QB Jeff Driskel transfer from Florida to La Tech - New Orleans Bowl

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am saying that I don't understand all of the negativity surrounding him being a 3rd teamer. I think this is a huge upgrade at QB. He is going to go from practicing against mostly 3 and 4 star blue-chip players at Alabama(2nd and 3rd team scout) to playing against a smattering of 3 star players in CUSA. It's like running in sand on the beach(Alabama) and then running on concrete(CUSA). It's going to be a lot easier for him.

Just now, BillySee58 said:

Bad blanket statement by 90. Some Alabama 3rd stringers are true freshman who are going to be in the NFL one day. Some are older kids who maybe should not have gone to Alabama. And guys in between. Likewise, some of our starters could crack their two-deep and some (most) wouldn't.

We've played against bigger school's 3rd team-ers at the end of our body bag games and they were still bigger and faster than us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

The negativity regarding the 3rd team status is odd. He is a 3rd teamer for an SEC team that is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP contender every year. From some accounts he was close to winning the QB job. He spends every practice playing against 2nd and 3rd team defenders on an Alabama defense that would START on every team in CUSA. He will be the most talented QB from day one at UNT. My main concern is that he will not have ANY competition from other QBs to push him to excel. If Littrell can flip a couple of 3-star high school QBs to provide some push then I will be a little more at ease. 

This is true, but QB is not Bama's strength. Never has been. Jacob Coker will see around 0 plays in the NFL. Aj Mccarron will eventually wash out just like John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy did before him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

OK. I'll bite. Who on our roster could break into Alabama's two-deep. Gray and McClain MIGHT sniff the 'Bama 3rd team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Morris is way better than any QB we've had in the last couple years. I'd much rather have a Alabama 3rd stringer (who apparently got a look at being starter) over Josh duck-flinging Greer. I'll get excited about this without hesitation, we are hurting real bad at center. So bad, that we are still looking up at Derek Thompson and worshiping him from his 2013 season.....

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tyler Maryak said:

We're also getting four free years of P5-level player development, aren't we?

Which led to 3rd team status.

Look, he is better than anything we have, so it's a good get, but I wouldn't go placing him on any preseason all-CUSA teams. If we get DT type numbers from him, it will be a huge success.

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Actually, a little context. Anyone who is going into their senior year as a 3rd teamer on the Alabama roster wouldn't start at UNT.

Except at one position. 

QB.

And that's sad.

26 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am saying that I don't understand all of the negativity surrounding him being a 3rd teamer. I think this is a huge upgrade at QB. He is going to go from practicing against mostly 3 and 4 star blue-chip players at Alabama(2nd and 3rd team scout) to playing against a smattering of 3 star players in CUSA. It's like running in sand on the beach(Alabama) and then running on concrete(CUSA). It's going to be a lot easier for him.

Because he hasn't been able to not just win the job, but win the 2nd team job going into his senior year? 

If you think he is magically going to own CUSA, you are in for a big letdown. 

Again, his only offers besides Alabama were UNT and Wake Forest. And he was a 3 star recruit.

Again, happy to have him, just to go all stupid crazy over it, because that's more than a slight overreaction. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is true, but QB is not Bama's strength. Never has been. Jacob Coker will see around 0 plays in the NFL. Aj Mccarron will eventually wash out just like John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy did before him. 

Right, but we aren't asking for an NFL caliber QB. We aren't even asking for a Canadian Football League QB. We just need an FBS level QB that can run Littrell's version of the spread. We need a smart competent QB that can remember about 15 plays and that can run progressions in his sleep. 

• Upvote 2

After chatting with a bama fan via twitter.. Here's what he had to say about Morris:

-Isnt accurate throwing longer than 20 yards, thats why he wasnt starting.  They needed someone who can throw the ball down the field because of Henry. Morris couldnt unload the box.

-Saban loved him.  Kiffin wanted to go with Coker and Saban gave in.

-Lots of talk about Morris coming out of camp because of Coker's injury in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Right, but we aren't asking for an NFL caliber QB. We aren't even asking for a Canadian Football League QB. We just need an FBS level QB that can run Littrell's version of the spread. We need a smart competent QB that can remember about 15 plays and that can run progressions in his sleep. 

Point is that Alabama's QB's have never been all that good and he's a 3rd teamer at QB. 

• Downvote 5

We have a 3 star grad transfer from bama, so we upgraded talent.  I am going to assume we upgraded coaching for plenty reasons, and we upgraded the system to air raid.  

3 areas of upgrade from last season.  1 or 2 of those upgrades should make a difference and it's reason to be excited.

I was wondering why littrell would go out on a limb and insinuate we would be bowling.  I can see reason for his optimism now.  And kincade is still considering UNT.  Littrell must really be selling the "talent" that is remaining.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Which led to 3rd team status.

Look, he is better than anything we have, so it's a good get, but I wouldn't go placing him on any preseason all-CUSA teams. If we get DT type numbers from him, it will be a huge success.

Actually, a little context. Anyone who is going into their senior year as a 3rd teamer on the Alabama roster wouldn't start at UNT.

Except at one position. 

QB.

And that's sad.

Because he hasn't been able to not just win the job, but win the 2nd team job going into his senior year? 

Again, his only offers besides Alabama were UNT and Wake Forest. And he was a 3 star recruit.

Again, happy to have him, just to go all stupid crazy over it, because that's more than a slight overreaction. 

Uh Uh send us some 3rd team DT's !!!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

Alec was asked during the bowl game media today about reports of transferring here but wouldn't respond. Focused on the bowl game, can't blame him. 

Apparently seemed pissed off that it leaked last night, another AD gaffe? 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, akriesman said:

Can you imagine what this place would be like if if no coaching changes were made last season ?     No hope.   Nothing at all to look forward to.   Coach Littrell has already brought excitement and hope to this program and the fans.

You have to give credit to our administration and/or donors who released Mac despite the $1.8 mil buyout.   Somebody (or multiple people) really stepped up to the plate to try and turn this program around.

Thank you sirs !!

Agree

• Upvote 1

Regardless of whether or not Morris turns out to be an upgrade, he will give the perception of an upgrade at a very important time in recruiting.  Anything that can create a buzz will help with recruiting and once a few kids commit then the coaches can build on the momentum and use it to build a solid class.  

Keep up the good work and can't wait to start hearing additional names.

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I will be surprised if he can pull it off but I like his style.

Right about where I am at.

11 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Can you imagine what this place would be like if if no coaching changes were made last season ?     No hope.   Nothing at all to look forward to.   Coach Littrell has already brought excitement and hope to this program and the fans.

You have to give credit to our administration and/or donors who released Mac despite the $1.8 mil buyout.   Somebody (or multiple people) really stepped up to the plate to try and turn this program around.

Thank you sirs !!

Now if they wil pay a lot less to release a friend, this thing may have a chance.

Look, any new coach would bring hope, because no one knows if they will suck or not. At this program, hope should be tempered with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Because, after all, this same hope was there when Mac was hired, and when Dodge was hired before Mac. 

Will it be false hope? Time will tell. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

35 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think he will magically own CUSA. If he can play at a DT level then we will have a chance in a lot of games next season. Before yesterday did you feel that way with Smith?

OK. 2 P5s and a G5. Pretty good list. A 3 star QB recruit that is actually recruited to play QB for UNT. Can't say I recall getting many of those around here when their dad wasn't the coach.

Not going all crazy. Just happy that we seem to have greatly upgraded our talent at a key position.