MGB breaking news -- Alabama QB Alec Morris intends to transfer to UNT

Brett Vito

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Apparently not Alec Morris...

Right, and everyone else on our team wouldn't make the travel squad. We are bereft of talent save for RB and possibly the defensive backfield. Alec Morris is an upgrade at a key position. Rome was not built in a day and it will take time to build the roster up. Alec Morris is a great start. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

Right, and everyone else on our team wouldn't make the travel squad. 

If serious, just extremely college football uneducated.

And I'm assuming you are including this guy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/lsu/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Wallace-85198

Notice how he has many more offers than Morrs? Notice how he transferred? Notice how he wasn't an All-CUSA conference player? 

Transfers are a crap shoot. Many times they peaked early. 

Lets hope this isn't the case with Morris. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If serious, just extremely college football uneducated.

And I'm assuming you are including this guy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/lsu/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Wallace-85198

Notice how he has many more offers than Morrs? Notice how he transferred? Notice how he wasn't an All-CUSA conference player? 

Transfers are a crap shoot. Many times they peaked early. 

Lets hope this isn't the case with Morris. 

So you are saying Wallace would have cracked Bama's two deep? My point is that We have very little talent on this roster. And we must take these kinds of chances to improve our talent especially at a key position. Wallace transferred and was only a serviceable player. Trice transferred and was one of the best safeties to play here in a long time. One worked, one didn't. It is indeed a crapshoot. Alec Morris improves our talent at a key position. It may not workout but the current crop of QBs hasn't worked either. What do you propose we do? Throw our hands up and just hope a light clicks on in Smith?

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

So you are saying Wallace would have cracked Bama's two deep? My point is that We have very little talent on this roster. And we must take these kinds of chances to improve our talent especially at a key position. Wallace transferred and was only a serviceable player. Trice transferred and was one of the best safeties to play here in a long time. One worked, one didn't. It is indeed a crapshoot. Alec Morris improves our talent at a key position. It may not workout but the current crop of QBs hasn't worked either. What do you propose we do? Throw our hands up and just hope a light clicks on in Smith?

My point is bringing in Morris may not be the talent bump that everyone here thinks he is. 

He may not even start next year if Littrell can recruit a truly gifted HS QB. 

Its more like one worked and ten didn't. And that is my point. Again, I'm glad he may be coming here, but I don't think it's anything to get overly excited about. Some posts here are kinda ridiculous. 

Now if he was a second teamer in an offense like Baylor and was coming as a graduate transfer, then we could talk. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Right, and everyone else on our team wouldn't make the travel squad. We are bereft of talent save for RB and possibly the defensive backfield. Alec Morris is an upgrade at a key position. Rome was not built in a day and it will take time to build the roster up. Alec Morris is a great start. 

GoMeanGreen.com:  responsible for expanding my vocabulary up to 65%.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

My point is bringing in Morris may not be the talent bump that everyone here thinks he is. 

Its more like one worked and ten didn't. And that is my point. Again, I'm glad he may be coming here, but I don't think it's anything to get overly excited about. Some posts here are kinda ridiculous. 

Now if he was a second teamer in an offense like Baylor and was coming as a graduate transfer, then we could talk. 

Morris will be a talent bump over what we have now. At best, we have one guy, Damarcus Smith, who MIGHT be a capable backup at a G5 program...everyone else is FCS or lower material, but came here because we were their best/only FBS option (see McNulty, Greer, Chumley, D.Smith, etc...)

Can Morris improve our team? Absolutely. But that improvement may mean we win 2 or 3 games instead of 1 like we just did. The collective talent here is woefully low and the schedule we play is just brutal for where we are currently sitting. But getting a guy like Morris here will buy Littrell  recruiting time to get a HS QB here that can be coached into something way above what else is currently here. 2016 is all about recruiting, installing a new system, and finding out if you have buy-in from the guys in the locker room. Wins and losses shouldn't even come close to mattering to you, as a fan, for this upcoming year. Even if we go 1-11, it is still about digging out of the massive sinkhole that Mac has left us in. 2017 is when you look at winning 4 games or more,  than 2018 is where you aim for bowl eligibility and possible CUSA West Division contention.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TIgreen01 said:

I'm sitting here watching Memphis and the commentators mentioned that their top WRs are all walk-ons.  I think with the system that we're installing we will find that we have guys on this roster that can make plays.  We need an accurate QB, and it sounds like Morris will be an immediate upgrade.  

I agree with this and most of what Jim said. The question is how much of an upgrade. I would be shocked if it's anything more than marginal. But that's ok.

I'm sure Littrell was warned of Mac's misstep of claiming UNT was the slowest and smallest team in FBS, only to have those very players provide his only winning season. Littrell won't step in that bear trap. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

I'm ready for Morris to get of my dreams and get into Littrell's car.

This thread has to be the most exposure Billy Ocean has had in 15 years.   Can Harry book him on the podcast?

1 hour ago, Tyler Maryak said:

GoMeanGreen.com:  responsible for expanding my vocabulary up to 65%.

While it can improve your vocabulary, it is know to have deleterious effects upon your will to live.  

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This thread has to be the most exposure Billy Ocean has had in 15 years.   Can Harry book him on the podcast?

While it can improve your vocabulary, it is know to have deleterious effects upon your will to live.  

And a terrible influence on you're grammer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

He cracked the 2-deep & saw PT in his freshman year @ Oregon.  So, sure.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

He cracked the 2-deep & saw PT in his freshman year @ Oregon.  So, sure.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/13/3872072/oregon-football-anthony-wallace-transfer

Oregon linebacker Anthony Wallace has notified coach Chip Kelly of his intent to transfer out of the program, according to a release from the school. Wallace has appeared in 15 games in two seasons with the Ducks, recording 13 tackles, one tackle for loss, and three passes defended.

Wallace was a four-star recruit out of Dallas' Skyline High School, and held offers from many of the nation's prominent programs, including USC, Stanford, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Nebraska. However, after two years in the program, he was not listed in the Ducks' two-deep at inside linebacker. There is no word on where Wallace is expected to land.

After two years at Oeregon he was 3rd team behind a pair of red-shirt freshman. He was a great 4-star recruit out of high school but he simply didn't pan out as a P5 LB. No shame in that. He came here and was decent for one year.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

After two years at Oeregon he was 3rd team behind a pair of red-shirt freshman. He was a great 4-star recruit out of high school but he simply didn't pan out as a P5 LB. No shame in that. He came here and was decent for one year.

i would pull the e-brake here.  Decent would not be the word i use to describe his play.  His lateral movement was awful.  If the ball carrier did not go through the A gap he was not making a tackle end of story.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

i would pull the e-brake here.  Decent would not be the word i use to describe his play.  His lateral movement was awful.  If the ball carrier did not go through the A gap he was not making a tackle end of story.

As BillySee58 would say:

"I was trying to be nice"

• Upvote 6

In the video he is described as the QB in the competition with "the highest floor".  If I were comparing Andrew McNulty to the rest of the QBs here this past spring that is how I would described him and I don't think I would be alone.  If he is a great "bus driver" QB that is great and that is probably his ceiling here.  I watched his highlights also and judging from what I saw he has good touch but not much zip on the ball.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

Naw, wasn't offered when I was in school.

Actually, not even sure if sarcasm is the right word, so apparently I missed that class, also.

Isn't it Ironic?

On December 29, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Eagle-96 said:

There is a 3 star QB recruit on the roster. His name is Conner Means. 

And I'll make the same bet with you that I proposed to Emmitt. DTs numbers ain't that easy to get to at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Agree 100%.  You cant get overly excited over one player.  Its not like he's Cam Newton.  The guy hasn't played meaningful football in 4 years.  To me, what's exciting is that Saban really liked him.  I respect Nick Saban's opinion more than anymore else's.  Knowing that we are getting a player Nick Saban liked is better than saying we are receiving a Bama QB.  

• Upvote 2