MGB breaking news -- Alabama QB Alec Morris intends to transfer to UNT

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, Green P1 said:

If any of their QBs you listed had played at UNT we'd have fans demanding a wing of the stadium be named after them. 

One hundo. We'd be tailgating at Jay Barker Memorial Hill and loving every minute of it. 

On the flip side, Katherine Webb would have stack a of P5 level restraining orders.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

OK so the mark to beat is:

Comp     Att      Pct      Yards     Yds / Att     TD     Int

251        390     64.4      2896           7.4         16     13

I would take this too, it we could take away about 7 int and add about 4 touchdowns. Everything else can stay serve. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

OK so the mark to beat is:

Comp     Att      Pct      Yards     Yds / Att     TD     Int

If we're comparing apples to apples Cody Sokol's La Tech stats should be the standard for one year grad transfer QB's that were in a Air Raid offense at their final stop. Just saying. We get this production, there's a legitimate shot at the CUSA West.

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2014 260 448 3436 58.0 7.67 84 30 13 19 138.8 60.1 51.4
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If we're comparing apples to apples Cody Sokol's La Tech stats should be the standard for one year grad transfer QB's that were in a Air Raid offense at their final stop. Just saying. We get this production, there's a legitimate shot at the CUSA West.

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2014 260 448 3436 58.0 7.67 84 30 13 19 138.8 60.1 51.4

I was referring to UNT90 and Emmitt's wager that Alec will have a better senior year than DT did. If that's the case then the below numbers are what Alec has to beat.

Comp     Att      Pct      Yards     Yds / Att     TD     Int

BTW: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/

A great site for stats. It has UNT stats going back to 1995.

Edited by Eagle-96

3 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I was referring to UNT90 and Emmitt's wager that Alec will have a better senior year than DT did. If that's the case then the below numbers are what Alec has to beat.

Comp     Att      Pct      Yards     Yds / Att     TD     Int

Yeah, I might take that bet as well. Way different offense and would be throwing the ball a lot more. DT's completion percentage was decent but the TD to interception total wasn't very impressive at all. 

My take is that Morris would instantly make us better.

But

I dont think he makes us a contender in CUSA. We have way to many holes to fill. Our defense is in desperate need of play makers. Our offense is in need of play makers. We need dramatic improvement from the LBs and DBs. 

I dont believe he would be someone that would make a ton of mistakes like Smith or Greer. I believe he would thrive in a QB friendly offense that we may have next year.  Not sure he has a Sokol type of year, because I know we dont have the weapons around him that Sokol had. Plus I know our defense wont be that good. 

Overall the Morris news is good news. Coach L is improving the roster step by step, but its going to take time. He was pretty much left a bare cupboard and has to shop for a ton of groceries. He knew he needed a QB who could play right away, bc this roster was void of one. 

• Upvote 2

When some NT coach mentions to a recruit that we have a QB transferring from Alabama, said recruit will take notice. 

And, as some are aware, I don't follow pro football.  But when I did, one of my favorites was Dallas QB Danny White.  Number 11.  Just like Alec Morris wears at Alabama.  That's got to count for something.

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

If a receiver emerges who can turn poorly placed passes into big gains (like Brelan did) then I'll gladly take that wager.

We had him the past 2 years, but people were more concerned with his Twitter presence than his gridiron presence.

6 hours ago, greenit said:

Regardless of whether or not Morris turns out to be an upgrade, he will give the perception of an upgrade at a very important time in recruiting.  Anything that can create a buzz will help with recruiting and once a few kids commit then the coaches can build on the momentum and use it to build a solid class.  

Keep up the good work and can't wait to start hearing additional names.

I agree with this for sure.  

Im not as concerned with his 3rd string status, but I am concerned with his lack of in-game PT over the past 3 yrs.. He's bound to have some rust.  Great addition to the team though if everything goes as planned.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

So we're having to go back to the 1960's to find the last really good QBs they produced? I think you just proved Ben's point.

If sustained NFL success is the bar we have to clear then UT, LSU, Nebraska and several others would like to join the "not producing party".  

Still, I'd take the college versions of VY, McCoy, Damarcus Russell, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Taylor Martinez, and a slew of others in a heartbeat.

Don't be 90...admit defeat

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, adman said:

Who gives a damn if your QB goes on to play and win at a high level in the NFL?  All the "washouts" Ben Gooding mentioned won lots and lots and lots of games in the SEC and even a few National Championships. Count me in the camp of that being plenty fine with our QB's winning conference championships year in and year out as well as multiple National Championships. 

get back to work. Place ain't gonna build itself

38 minutes ago, adman said:

Who gives a damn if your QB goes on to play and win at a high level in the NFL?  All the "washouts" Ben Gooding mentioned won lots and lots and lots of games in the SEC and even a few National Championships. Count me in the camp of that being plenty fine with our QB's winning conference championships year in and year out as well as multiple National Championships. 

Saying those washouts won lots and lots of games is literally equivalent to saying that Derek Thompson won lots and lots of games in 2013. 

I am excited about the transfer and I think it may pay off in a big way. But one thing UNT athletics has taught me the short time I have been following is to not get overly excited about unproven players. I did it with DW. I did it was DS. I am not going to do it with this guy. If he gets into the 6th game of next year and we're sitting at .500 or a game over .500 and he already has 2,000 yards passing color me optimistic. 

• Downvote 11

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Saying those washouts won lots and lots of games is literally equivalent to saying that Derek Thompson won lots and lots of games in 2013. 

I am excited about the transfer and I think it may pay off in a big way. But one thing UNT athletics has taught me the short time I have been following is to not get overly excited about unproven players. I did it with DW. I did it was DS. I am not going to do it with this guy. If he gets into the 6th game of next year and we're sitting at .500 or a game over .500 and he already has 2,000 yards passing color me optimistic. 

Who wants to let Tommie, VY, JaMarcus, AJ, Bradford, Tebow and the rest in on the good news that they are up there with DT after all?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

If sustained NFL success is the bar we have to clear then UT, LSU, Nebraska and several others would like to join the "not producing party".  

Still, I'd take the college versions of VY, McCoy, Damarcus Russell, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Taylor Martinez, and a slew of others in a heartbeat.

Don't be 90...admit defeat

I think Ben's point is that compared to all the other positions, 'Bama hasn't produced many game changing QBs. All the guys you mentioned carried their teams. Alabama hasn't had many of those. Especially, when you consider how great they've been. 

44 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think Ben's point is that compared to all the other positions, 'Bama hasn't produced many game changing QBs. All the guys you mentioned carried their teams. Alabama hasn't had many of those. Especially, when you consider how great they've been. 

Right, but the thing is that you can't tell whether their QBs are great or not most of the time anyway, because they have a whole team of ass-kickers, so very rarely do they need a QB to be their savior anyway.  You could stick someone passable or someone great in there and hardly notice the difference.

• Upvote 2