MGB breaking news -- Alabama QB Alec Morris intends to transfer to UNT

Brett Vito

I definitely hate to take a 90 on this thread, but we have seen the best results from transfers that have seen a decent amount of playing time earlier in their careers. Now I will admit that QB is somewhat different bc you are generally not rotating players in like elsewhere on the field. 

I am going to temper my expectations for now, though I want to be excited about this.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I definitely hate to take a 90 on this thread, but we have seen the best results from transfers that have seen a decent amount of playing time earlier in their careers. Now I will admit that QB is somewhat different bc you are generally not rotating players in like elsewhere on the field. 

I am going to temper my expectations for now, though I want to be excited about this.

How many transfers have been successful at UNT?  I can only count one; Trice.  Cole, Stratford, Feldt, Wallace and Bean fell below exceptions, thats just to name a few.

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Considering the doldrums we've been in the last couple of years at the QB position, I'll be excited about a Nick Saban product over Mac's failures at the same position. This transfer has potential and cannot possibly be worse than what we have.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Which means he plays right away....YESSSSSSSIRRR!

As long as the NCAA doesn't change the rules before next year, which there is talk of happening.

I'd feel a lot better about this if he was the clear cut #2 QB on Alabama's roster, and not the #3 behind a sophomore. 

But still a good pick up and an obvious upgrade to a position that needs 4 QB recruits this year. 

I expect to hear pretty soon that at least 2 of the current QBs are transferring. 

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Your negativity on every thread is such an ass whip...

5 hours ago, UNTexas said:

No more talk about not havinga legit D1 QB.

Considering this kid has never started a college football game, there is lots more talk about it.

Nice option to see what he has (no one knows) We need at least 2 more options. 

5 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I could care less about stats at the moment. GET TALENT is the goal at this point and he has talent enough to go to a perennial top 5 team then I say welcome aboard! 

You do realize that UNT starters are better players than Alabama 3rd teamers (with the exception of QB, where we have no FBS talent) , corrext? 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Too bad he didn't play for a DMac team. Highest floor would have made him a 4 year starter. Lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just to keep a little perspective, Morris was a 3 star recruit with offers from Alabama, UNT, and Wake Forrest. One of the strangest offer lists I've ever seen:

http://sports.yahoo.com/cal/football/recruiting/player-Alec-Morris-123490

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/130463/alec-morris

Hope it works out. One thing is for sure. He is immediately the best QB on the roster the moment he steps foot on campus if we sign no other QBs.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Just to keep a little perspective, Morris was a 3 star recruit with offers from Alabama, UNT, and Wake Forrest. One of the strangest offer lists I've ever seen:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/130463/alec-morris

Hope it works out. One thing is for sure. He is immediately the best QB on the roster the moment he steps foot on campus if we sign no other QBs.

We're also getting four free years of P5-level player development, aren't we?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

We're also getting four free years of P5-level player development, aren't we?

Which led to 3rd team status.

Look, he is better than anything we have, so it's a good get, but I wouldn't go placing him on any preseason all-CUSA teams. If we get DT type numbers from him, it will be a huge success.

@BillySee58 was he a legacy recruit at Alabama? That was a very stand out offer.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Which led to 3rd team status.

Look, he is better than anything we have, so it's a good get, but I wouldn't go placing him on any preseason all-CUSA teams. If we get DT type numbers from him, it will be a huge success.

@BillySee58 was he a legacy recruit at Alabama? That was a very stand out offer.

No. It was always an offer that didn't quite make sense. Kevin Murray was his QB coach, which may have helped. It's also why Kyler Murray transferred to Allen after Morris graduated.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Bam! Upgrade the talent!!