MGB: Ole Miss transfer QB Kincade confirms he is considering UNT

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

One of the biggest myths continually perpetrated by the DT haters who refuse to admit they were wrong. Let's examine, shall we?

Wenning threw for 333 yards. Ball St had an additional 163 on the ground for a total of 496 yards of total offense. And 27 points. 

496 yards of total offense. 

Hardly the "defense saving DT's ass."

DT, meanwhile, was 31-47 for 274 yards, I TD pass and the game winning TD run. Oh, and he also ran the ball 6 times for 72 yards. So his total offensive number was 346 yards. A better performance heads up than an All-MAC QB, who had 340 yards of total offense.

And UNT had to outscore Ball St. to win the game. 

This is a perfect example of the QB DT could have been if about 65% of his throws weren't relegated to 3rd downs. UNT got behind early and were forced to open up DMac's run run pass offense (I'm quite sure with DMac angrily gritting his teeth the whole way).

This is what the DT bashers do. Change facts to suit a preformed opinion so they will never have to utter the words "I was wrong." 

What about the Ohio, Tulane, MTSU, UTEP and UTSA games? All bad to below average performances in what some people consider a "great" year for DT. IMO, the biggest reason 2013 was considered such a good year for DT is because he was so poor in 2011 and 2012. But I know, you'll refuse to place any blame on Derek "Football Jesus" Thompson because Mac refused to open up the offense and let DT shine.

Let me ask you a simple yes or no question, was DT an above average QB? Because his career stats, even 2013, show he was not.

Context, bruthuh.

Thompson had one of his best games but Ball State fumbled 3 times and was intercepted twice. Thompson wasn't on the field for any of those plays, as I recall.

It was a team win, with an assist from a brutal sun that Ball State players (and most of the fans that attended) stood in for the entire game (#ThanksRV, said with a stick to stir up the ant bed named 90).

GMG

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And 70% the year before.

Contrary to your belief no.

Derek was an average QB at a school with a below average history of QB play. For North Texas standards DT was a hall of fame QB. For standards based on national production and perception he was average.

I appreciate all he did. We did miss him in 14, I thought we wouldn't and I was wrong. He did make the 2013 team better. Its time to move on and raise the standards bar around here when it comes to QB play.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Derek was an average QB at a school with a below average history of QB play. For North Texas standards DT was a hall of fame QB. For standards based on national production and perception he was average.

I appreciate all he did. We did miss him in 14, I thought we wouldn't and I was wrong. He did make the 2013 team better. Its time to move on and raise the standards bar around here when it comes to QB play.

He was below average if you want to put it in that context.

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What about the Ohio, Tulane, MTSU, UTEP and UTSA games? All bad to below average performances in what some people consider a "great" year for DT. IMO, the biggest reason 2013 was considered such a good year for DT is because he was so poor in 2011 and 2012. But I know, you'll refuse to place any blame on Derek "Football Jesus" Thompson because Mac refused to open up the offense and let DT shine.

Let me ask you a simple yes or no question, was DT an above average QB? Because his career stats, even 2013, show he was not.

All those games have the same thing in common. No offensive creativity. UTSA is a prime example. Finally when allowed to throw against a stacked box, DT took UNT straight down the field to inside the UTSA 10 when a hurried last play of the game and no open receivers led to a pic. 

Ohio was maddening as I yelled at the TV screen "throw the damn ball! There are 8 freaking people on the damn box!!!" Same thing with Tulane, where Chico's love of the screen pass (that every opponent had completely scouted out one year previous) cost UNT a victory.

At La. Tech, several fans came to stand with me and openly wonder when UNT would throw the ball on anything other than 3rd down, again choosing to run head first into a stacked box.

Against UTEP, we ran the ball for well over 300 yards and won 41-7. So...

Against MTSU we ran the ball for over well over 300 yards and DT only had to throw 19 times. UNT won 34-7. So...

You people don't seem to realize that running the ball when it works is fine. Continuing to pound your head against an 8 in the box front when it's not working is dumb. Especially when you had a more than capable QB in DT under center. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

All those games have the same thing in common. No offensive creativity. UTSA is a prime example. Finally when allowed to throw against a stacked box, DT took UNT straight down the field to inside the UTSA 10 when a hurried last play of the game and no open receivers led to a pic. 

Ohio was maddening as I yelled at the TV screen "throw the damn ball! There are 8 freaking people on the damn box!!!" Same thing with Tulane, where Chico's love of the screen pass (that every opponent had completely scouted out one year previous) cost UNT a victory.

At La. Tech, several fans came to stand with me and openly wonder when UNT would throw the ball on anything other than 3rd down, again choosing to run head first into a stacked box.

Against MTSU we ran the ball for over well over 300 yards and DT only had to throw 19 times. UNT won 34-7. So...

You people don't seem to realize that running the ball when it works is fine. Continuing to pound your head against an 8 in the box front when it's not working is dumb. Especially when you had a more than capable QB in DT under center. 

I see you didn't answer my question. That seems to be a common occurrence with you when people ask you straight up questions.

So since we ran the ball well against UTEP and MTSU that gives DT a break from not being able to do anything through the air? Right...

22 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Just win Baby win!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

His 1:1 says hey. "Good" QB's have at least 2:1. 

I don't recall anyone coming on here and initiating a thread to belittle DT's career.  It is almost always in response to a Vito article where he just won't let it go.  As fans (and with very few exceptions) we support all student athletes that put on the Mean Green uniform and give it their best for our Alma Mater.  However, Vito's incessant and ad nauseam campaign to annoint DT for football sainthood has had the exact opposite effect.  So much so that it has gotten to the point where he is actually doing Mr. Thompson a disservice. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Damning by faint praise.

I'm not making a case that DT a top-flight QB for the ages or anything, but UNT has played D1 football for over 100 years.  There have been plenty of chances for a QB to do better.  Everyone in his statistical neighborhood is in the UNT HOF.  If you want to disparage DT, you're also taking shots at Maher, Ramsey, Hall, etc...

Now, back to the topic at hand, it would be awesome if Kincade came back home and finished up his eligibility at NT.  I don't really know how I feel about Morris since he hasn't really played during his time at 'Bama, but hopefully he does well next year and Kincade can come in, soak up Littrell's offense during his year of sitting out, and be ready to tear it up in 2017.

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Thompson had one of his best games but Ball State fumbled 3 times and was intercepted twice. Thompson wasn't on the field for any of those plays, as I recall.

That game was Thompson's best game of his career. Maybe the the HOD game could be up there too. I thought he earned the respect UNT90 gives him after that day.

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Scott Hall was ranked #86 out of 112 (23rd percentile) with a QBR of 36.1 his senior year in the same rankings adman used above where DT's QBR was 55.3 and he was 80th out of 128 (37th percentile).. Don't kid yourself that Scott Hall was a great quarterback. He was a defensive back that turned out to be an average quarterback on a team with great running backs and stout defenses, no better than DT.

I was waiting for someone to post the truth.  The greatness of Scott Hall was his leadership, toughness, Buick driving skills, minimizing errors, etc...  He threw an ugly pass, but the teams he played on won.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Scott Hall, always will, but DT had more QB talent than Hall so I am not sure why he gets hammered by some many on here.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't get me wrong, I loved Scott Hall, always will, but DT had more QB talent than Hall so I am not sure why he gets hammered by some many on here.

Probably because Hall killed in TD/INT ratio.  As upperclassmen Hall was 27-9 (3:1) while DT was 30-27.

That being said, DT is a top 3 QB since we came back from 1AA, probably only second to Hall.

2 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I have a feeling That Littrell is going to bring in the best QB North Texas has ever seen. Mark it down Trebek

That would be a pretty high mark, Steve Ramsey was the all time NCAA passing TD and yards leader when he graduated (1969) and played seven years in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Probably because Hall killed in TD/INT ratio.  As upperclassmen Hall was 27-9 (3:1) while DT was 30-27.

That being said, DT is a top 3 QB since we came back from 1AA, probably only second to Hall.

That would be a pretty high mark, Steve Ramsey was the all time NCAA passing TD and yards leader when he graduated (1969) and played seven years in the NFL.

Ok OK, How about the best QB UNT has seen in more than 3 Decades

No good if we have to wait until 2017.  We need a QB now.  We have no FBS-type QBs on the roster for 2016.  We need Littrell to get one for 2016.

In reality, I'd rather ride out 2016 with a freshman who will grow with time than with a one shot guy.  That's just me.  If we were to get a one shot guy, I'd rather it be someone who had some starting experience.  Seems like these guys considering us haven't even cracked the starting lineup where they are.

So, if you are going to have a brand new starter, make it a freshman.  Again, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

No good if we have to wait until 2017.  We need a QB now.  We have no FBS-type QBs on the roster for 2016.  We need Littrell to get one for 2016.

In reality, I'd rather ride out 2016 with a freshman who will grow with time than with a one shot guy.  That's just me.  If we were to get a one shot guy, I'd rather it be someone who had some starting experience.  Seems like these guys considering us haven't even cracked the starting lineup where they are.

So, if you are going to have a brand new starter, make it a freshman.  Again, just my opinion.

We'll have Alec Morris for next year. He's able to start right away and if we get kincade he'll start the next year. That gives a freshman 2 years to learn and grow.

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

We'll have Alec Morris for next year. He's able to start right away and if we get kincade he'll start next year. That gives a freshman 2 years to learn and grow.

That's a good position to be in. We want to be where we can reload with QBs that have been back-ups and grown physically and mentally while watching junior and senior starters. We don't want to have to be in a position to have to throw a true freshman to dogs.

• Upvote 6

On 12/29/2015 at 6:13 AM, Cr1028 said:

Scott Hall was ranked #86 out of 112 (23rd percentile) with a QBR of 36.1 his senior year in the same rankings adman used above where DT's QBR was 55.3 and he was 80th out of 128 (37th percentile).. Don't kid yourself that Scott Hall was a great quarterback. He was a defensive back that turned out to be an average quarterback on a team with great running backs and stout defenses, no better than DT.

Scott Hall's QBR was 136.7 his senior year.  If I remember correctly, that was the top 30 his senior year. 

Oh wait.. i think I see where you got your information...

But I would have taken a 14 TD: 4 INT ratio...

Edited by Travis