MGB: Ole Miss transfer QB Kincade confirms he is considering UNT

Brett Vito

I freely confess that I have been a fan of D. Smith, thinking that all he needed was two or three games under his belt to show that he had "it". Well, I freely confess that I am disappointed. IMO, he looks like a quarterback. He is athletic, is a good runner, and has an excellent arm. Where he falls short IMO is control, touch, whatever. With a spring and fall pre-season to work with him, Harrell might get more out of him...if he must. I'm ready for a fresh face.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If we get competent QB play next year and a defense that can get a few timely stops the team could easily by 6-6 next season.  It is great news that Seth's reputation is getting the program attention from recruits who otherwise would not consider UNT.  And people stop ragging in DT.   He played competent and that is better than most QB's we have had since 2002.  Yes Darrell Dickey didn't throw the ball but some of the time when he did let the QB throw it you would cringe and just hope for the best.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Travis said:

Can you tell me the MVP of any bowl game this year off the top of your head. It is rather meaningless to keep Mentioning something no one really gives much notice to. Whether he deserves the freaking MVP is irrelevant to my argument that it means little to nothing to most anyone.

What does it matter what I have done lately? Unt athletic wise... No one has done anything lately. 

Go take the third grade soccer trophy out of you man cave!  

• Downvote 2

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all need to stop pissing on DT in this thread.  Cold hard truth is he IS the best QB we've had here in a long time & is top 5 in virtually every passing stat in UNT history. Until we get a dude in here who can do better, DT should be revered.  Hopefully hindsight treats him better than you punks.

People who are stuck in their past opinions. Sad, really.

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

This includes 2013.  

DT was great by comparison to guys like Dajon Williams...but still average

Fixed.

But then again your inflated ego would never let you admit the above, would it? ?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, adman said:

Per this ranking he wasn't even average. (#80 of all FBS QB's) 

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/year/2013/page/2

15 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Was hoping someone would pick up on that. Its been pretty dry around here since Hall and Smith. Before that there was a drought between Maher and Hall.

We have run out A LOT of spares in my 20 plus years following the team:

Scott Hall was ranked #86 out of 112 (23rd percentile) with a QBR of 36.1 his senior year in the same rankings adman used above where DT's QBR was 55.3 and he was 80th out of 128 (37th percentile).. Don't kid yourself that Scott Hall was a great quarterback. He was a defensive back that turned out to be an average quarterback on a team with great running backs and stout defenses, no better than DT.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Fixed.

But then again your inflated ego would never let you admit the above, would it? ?

Disagree. If you watch the spring game, you can see that Dajon was much better than anything else on the roster. He damn near beat out DT for the job as a true freshman in '13. The problem was that Mac didn't have the patience to deal with his laid-back attitude so he refused to forgive his mistakes or allow him to grow and learn from them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all need to stop pissing on DT in this thread.  Cold hard truth is he IS the best QB we've had here in a long time & is top 5 in virtually every passing stat in UNT history. Until we get a dude in here who can do better, DT should be revered.  Hopefully hindsight treats him better than you punks.

Damning by faint praise.

We won a few games with an average Thompson and Hall. Mix in a little leadership, confidence, durability, want-to and toughness, and THAT is why they get praise.

It just illustrates where we can go with just an average quarterback. It appears we will see a few of those here now, some maybe even better than average.

GMG

Edit: To clarify, the italicized average refers to the above noted QBR's for Thompson and Hall and does not represent my assessment of Thompson and Hall's QB talents. 

Edited by untcampbell
Clarification
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, untcampbell said:

We won a few games with an average Thompson and Hall. Mix in a little leadership, confidence, durability, want-to and toughness, and THAT is why they get praise.

It just illustrates where we can go with just an average quarterback. It appears we will see a few of those here now, some maybe even better than average.

GMG

In both cases (Hall and Thompson in their best years) they had an outstanding defense to rescue them. In Thompson's best year (2013) the defense, and special teams, bailed him out of at least three games (Ball St., La Tech, and UNLV) with big plays. 

In Hall's case, with the exception of Johnny Quinn, he never had great receivers to work with. So we won't know just how great he could have been. And since I mentioned Johnny Quinn. He wouldn't have been offered a "ship" if it hadn't been for the extra lobbying efforts of Kelvin Martin.  DD certainly didn't know anything about WR's. Hell, Casey Fitzgerald hung around as a walk-on for three years and never saw the field until Dodge came along and gave him a chance. The rest is history......for Mr. Fitzgerald anyway.

Edited by SilverEagle

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Disagree. If you watch the spring game, you can see that Dajon was much better than anything else on the roster. He damn near beat out DT for the job as a true freshman in '13. The problem was that Mac didn't have the patience to deal with his laid-back attitude so he refused to forgive his mistakes or allow him to grow and learn from them.

Another person who can't admit they were wrong about a guy that didn't want to put in the work to be an FBS QB.

As a matter of fact, he couldn't even cut it in DII. 

Some people just can't ever admit when they are wrong.

• Downvote 5

22 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

In both cases (Hall and Thompson in their best years) they had an outstanding defense to rescue them. In Thompson's best year (2013) the defense, and special teams, bailed him out of at least three games (Ball St., La Tech, and UNLV) with big plays. 

Bailed him out against Ball State? He was CUSA player of the week.

watch?v=WnHzT5nGnaQ

WnHzT5nGnaQ

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Another person who can't admit they were wrong about a guy that didn't want to put in the work to be an FBS QB.

As a matter of fact, he couldn't even cut it in DII. 

Some people just can't ever admit when they are wrong.

The Dajon talk is frustrating. Same people who touted Berglund and D.Smith as the saviors of UNT football. I have much more confidence in Alec Morris for a number of reasons but that's a different conversation. 

31 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Thompson's best year (2013) the defense, and special teams, bailed him out of at least three games (Ball St.

One of the biggest myths continually perpetrated by the DT haters who refuse to admit they were wrong. Let's examine, shall we?

Wenning threw for 333 yards. Ball St had an additional 163 on the ground for a total of 496 yards of total offense. And 27 points. 

496 yards of total offense. 

Hardly the "defense saving DT's ass."

And special teams? No returns for TDs, no blocked kicks. Nothing special. 

DT, meanwhile, was 31-47 for 274 yards, I TD pass and the game winning TD run. Oh, and he also ran the ball 6 times for 72 yards. So his total offensive number was 346 yards. A better performance heads up than an All-MAC QB, who had 340 yards of total offense.

And UNT had to outscore Ball St. to win the game. 

This is a perfect example of the QB DT could have been if about 65% of his throws weren't relegated to 3rd downs. UNT got behind early and were forced to open up DMac's run run pass offense (I'm quite sure with DMac angrily gritting his teeth the whole way).

This is what the DT bashers do. Change facts to suit a preformed opinion so they will never have to utter the words "I was wrong." 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

One of the biggest myths continually perpetrated by the DT haters who refuse to admit they were wrong. Let's examine, shall we?

Wenning threw for 333 yards. Ball St had an additional 163 on the ground for a total of 496 yards of total offense. And 27 points. 

496 yards of total offense. 

Hardly the "defense saving DT's ass."

And special teams? No returns for TDs, no blocked kicks. Nothing special. 

DT, meanwhile, was 31-47 for 274 yards, I TD pass and the game winning TD run. Oh, and he also ran the ball 6 times for 72 yards. So his total offensive number was 346 yards. A better performance heads up than an All-MAC QB, who had 340 yards of total offense.

And UNT had to outscore Ball St. to win the game. 

This is a perfect example of the QB DT could have been if about 65% of his throws weren't relegated to 3rd downs. UNT got behind early and were forced to open up DMac's run run pass offense (I'm quite sure with DMac angrily gritting his teeth the whole way).

This is what the DT bashers do. Change facts to suit a preformed opinion so they will never have to utter the words "I was wrong." 

Only 29% of his throws came on 3rd down in 2013

• Upvote 1