UNT bowling in 2016?

GOMG2013

I did, and I certainly don't claim to be an expert on college football. However, I saw very little if any talent. We barely beat UTSA. Using W.K. as a benchmark, I saw no one who could start for them. I hope that I am wrong, but I would like for those more astute than me to predict who we can beat next year.

you may be correct.  We may not have guys that can start for the top teams in the league.  Marshall might win 10 games.  WKU won 11 and might be ranked.  They had lots of EXPERIENCE.  No way our YOUNG team can replace some of their starters.  

But there are other teams in cusa that we have similar talent to.  No way you looked at Rice, UTSA, SMU, and UTEP and thought their talent was far better than ours.  No one is saying we are ready for the big boys next year.

I saw talent when watching (soph) wilson and ivery.  I saw fumbles, that could be correctable and I also saw if these guys get the ball in space, it could be deadly.  It was pretty obvious too. 

I saw nate brooks (true fr) and chad davis look good when allowed to play tighter coverage and not 10 yards off.  Hopefully they will have a coach that allows them to press in the red zone.  Kishawn McLain looks like he can definetly play D1 football as a Soph.

I saw kidsy and goree make some very athletic catches when given the opportunity.  Did I see consistency?   Nope.  I saw talent though.  And we most likely bring back the most starters in cusa next year.  That will improve consistency.

• Upvote 4

Talent or not we should always go into every season with bowling on our minds. TCU went 4-8 a few years ago and then lost one game the next season. Why you ask? A new system. This could happen to us. You never know.

That's exactly my thinking.  I have a friend that goes to TCU and going into the 2014 year we were both saying we should go to a game but they'll probably be bad again, and wow! TCU took the college football world by storm.  And other than changing the system, it was a change of mindset that turned it around and installing the electric Boykin at QB. 

You just never know until the season starts.  If UNT comes out and beats SMU then smokes that FCS team, who's to say Coach Littrell doesn't get his signature win early against Florida while the guys are still riding that high of a new coach and new season?

• Upvote 3

That's exactly my thinking.  I have a friend that goes to TCU and going into the 2014 year we were both saying we should go to a game but they'll probably be bad again, and wow! TCU took the college football world by storm.  And other than changing the system, it was a change of mindset that turned it around and installing the electric Boykin at QB. 

You just never know until the season starts.  If UNT comes out and beats SMU then smokes that FCS team, who's to say Coach Littrell doesn't get his signature win early against Florida while the guys are still riding that high of a new coach and new season?

I've been saying this for years!! We need one of these electric qbs! There's so many that come out of Tx and we somehow have not been able to get one. They are the difference makers that every program needs. I'm sick of seeing them leave the state and go elsewhere. Littrell knows this hence already being more active on the QB recruiting trail and saying we will recruit them every year. That's what smart programs do.

Edited by p_phelps

I've been saying this for years!! We need one of these electric qbs! There's so many that comes out of Tx and we somehow have not been able to get one. They are the difference makers that every program needs. I'm sick of seeing them leave the state and go elsewhere. Littrell knows this hence already being more active on the QB recruiting trail and saying we will recruit them every year. That's what smart programs do.

In college football, the best way to hide your weaknesses is to have a dual-threat QB that can make things happen.  When A&M was good, they had Johnny.  Texas had VY.  Florida had Tebow.  Auburn had Newton.  There is just a randomness with those kinds of QBs that college defenses can't game plan for.  

4th and 7 with the game on the line and the defense has great coverage: The QBs at UNT get sacked and the game is over. A QB with mobility makes a play from nothing and keeps the game alive.

The best way to go from last to first is have one of those QBs.

• Upvote 1

We have our sack leader coming back as a senior in J. Roberts too! I'm excited to see what he does as a senior. I maybe bias ( grew up with him and still good friends) but I think he's poised to have a break out season.

That was my adopted player... MJ Shrugs, drops mic and exits stage Left.

I've been saying this for years!! We need one of these electric qbs! There's so many that comes out of Tx and we somehow have not been able to get one. They are the difference makers that every program needs. I'm sick of seeing them leave the state and go elsewhere. Littrell knows this hence already being more active on the QB recruiting trail and saying we will recruit them every year. That's what smart programs do.

Like Greg Ward at Houston?

• Upvote 1

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=2e463fce-4024-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a&gendersport=boys,football

Rick

You're right. The less talented team has never won a game against the more talented team. 

I am right.

Why don't you check UNT's record in whore games if you don't believe me...

And the 6 games we are going to win in 2016 are?

University of Rah-Rah

Idealistic St.

College of Utopia

Sunshine Pumper Tech

Rick Villarreal Fan Club University

North Quixotic St. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Boys, I hope we win 6 games next year, but I don't think it is fair to the new staff or the players to have unreasonable expectations.We catch SMU and B.C. at home, and those are winnable. We are on the road against Army,UTSA,UTEP, and Rice.I don't think we can play with W.K./MTSU,Marshall,La. Tech, or So. Miss. Florida is a given, and I don't know who else is on our schedule. Historically we have been a poor road team, but if we can win 3 games on the road we might have a chance at 6 wins.I personally hope we can turn our program around  as quickly as So. Miss. has done.Happy new year to all!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Boys, I hope we win 6 games next year, but I don't think it is fair to the new staff or the players to have unreasonable expectations.We catch SMU and B.C. at home, and those are winnable. We are on the road against Army,UTSA,UTEP, and Rice.I don't think we can play with W.K./MTSU,Marshall,La. Tech, or So. Miss. Florida is a given, and I don't know who else is on our schedule. Historically we have been a poor road team, but if we can win 3 games on the road we might have a chance at 6 wins.I personally hope we can turn our program around  as quickly as So. Miss. has done.Happy new year to all!

I think the offense will be able to turn around quickly enough to get the team to 6 wins quickly.  I'm not so sure the defense will be able to keep up.  We may lose some shootouts next year that we have no business losing.  Littrell's history of getting offenses turned around quickly is proven.  I expect more of the same here against our level of competition.

The question mark is definitely on the defensive side of the ball.  The Ekeler hire is questionable, but I know he can't be worse than Cosh.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Harry said:

To win you have to recruit.  Littrell is proving quickly that he understands this concept:

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/110581-mgb-breaking-news-alec-morris-intends-to-transfer-to-unt/

This isn't really a "recruiting success," Harry.

Lets again wait and see what his first 2 recruit classes look like and who he beats out for high school talent. 

Even if Morros proves to be a good CUSA QB (that is a big stretch at this point), that still only means a 3-9 season with next year's talent. This isn't a program changing get by any stretch of the imagination.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2