'16 QB Augie Debiase (Florida)

BillySee58

33 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

I know it's a thing. A thing WE'VE talked about and not confirmable. The ONLY thing you can CONFIRM is Fine hasn't been offered a scholarship by the staff at UNT and Augie has. We can keep throwing it around but come signing day Mason Fine won't be signing anything.

We the fans are speculating. In the event of an actual blueshirt, there is no speculation on the player's part. He has agreed to come to the school with the condition that he will be put on scholarship before practice starts. But yeah, it's always looked more like a conventional PWO situation, and not a blueshirt. This makes it look even more like that.

I believe Debiase's dad is a coach. I'm sure he has done his research on the situation and that there is no QB for the 2016 class yet.

1 hour ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

now when we say walk on for fine, im assuming that this means PWO leading to blueshirt?

There is no PWO leading to blueshirt. They are only ever a walkon by technicality, and are out on scholarship before they practice. There is PWO leading to scholarship at some point. I'm starting to think PWO

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We the fans are speculating. In the event of an actual blueshirt, there is no speculation on the player's part. He has agreed to come to the school with the condition that he will be put on scholarship before practice starts. But yeah, it's always looked more like a conventional PWO situation, and not a blueshirt. This makes it look even more like that.

I believe Debiase's dad is a coach. I'm sure he has done his research on the situation and that there is no QB for the 2016 class yet.

There is no PWO leading to blueshirt. They are only ever a walkon by technicality, and are out on scholarship before they practice. There is PWO leading to scholarship at some point. I'm starting to think PWO

My question is, does a blueshirt actually sign a piece of paper stating they will receive a scholarship and attend the school or is it an oral agreement type thing, only becoming official once the semester starts or shortly before? 

3 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

My question is, does a blueshirt actually sign a piece of paper stating they will receive a scholarship and attend the school or is it an oral agreement type thing, only becoming official once the semester starts or shortly before? 

I also thought PWOs signed something too, because they are entering an agreement as well (a guaranteed spot on the 105-man roster).

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

No, I can't imagine that's legal. The thing is, with Tennessee's blueshirts who I have followed, they normally have other offers and would bolt if their blueshirt was not honored. It would also become public and that would end that coaches chance of ever using that method again. Kids, when offered to blueshirt, would know about him not honoring it in the past and that would be it.

Here's a kid Tennessee blueshirted. Would've gone somewhere else if it wasn't honored.

http://247sports.com/Player/Vincent-Perry-32296?PlayerInstitution=63050

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

All of this is true.   We'll just have to see.  He says he's coming here.   How/why, I guess we don't know yet.

I dont know all the specifics, but based on what some have posted about Fine, If he is a native American, has a 4.0, and is the class valedictorian... his college will most likely be free no matter what.

He just needs to decide where he wants to walk on and if he thinks he will get a chance at getting on the field.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

No, I can't imagine that's legal. The thing is, with Tennessee's blueshirts who I have followed, they normally have other offers and would bolt if their blueshirt was not honored. It would also become public and that would end that coaches chance of ever using that method again. Kids, when offered to blueshirt, would know about him not honoring it in the past and that would be it.

Here's a kid Tennessee blueshirted. Would've gone somewhere else if it wasn't honored.

http://247sports.com/Player/Vincent-Perry-32296?PlayerInstitution=63050

What's the kid's incentive to honor it? I know with a letter of intent it is a legally enforceable contract with consequences, such as losing a scholarship year, laid out by NCAA rules if it's not honored (haven't heard of that happening). Not sure why it wouldn't be legal to get it in writing if a letter of intent is a legally written contract. That's what makes a blueshirt sound closer to a walk-on situation than a scholarship offer to me. 

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

What's the kid's incentive to honor it? I know with a letter of intent it is a legally enforceable contract with consequences, such as losing a scholarship year, laid out by NCAA rules if it's not honored (haven't heard of that happening). Not sure why it wouldn't be legal to get it in writing if a letter of intent is a legally written contract. That's what makes a blueshirt sound closer to a walk-on situation than a scholarship offer to me. 

Nope nothing is signed. I know that kids will sing a ceremonial thing in the case of PWO but it's all honor system. Same thing with a blueshirt. Because, like you said, they'd get torched in recruiting if that kid came out and said we had an agreement and they didn't honor it. Especially if he had text or twitter DM proof. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TravisUNT said:

Nope nothing is signed. I know that kids will sing a ceremonial thing in the case of PWO but it's all honor system. Same thing with a blueshirt. Because, like you said, they'd get torched in recruiting if that kid came out and said we had an agreement and they didn't honor it. Especially if he had text or twitter DM proof. 

Yeah, I get it, I'm just thinking of actual NCAA consequences. I know it is extremely unlikely for either side to back out. Just stirring up hypotheticals and trying to distinguish it from a written, legally enforceable letter of intent scholarship offer. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I just said the incentive to honor it. If you don't, it will become public and there goes that coaches chance of using the blueshirt method again. Word spreads quickly in the coaching community. Especially with modern-day social media.

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

I just said the incentive to honor it. If you don't, it will become public and there goes that coaches chance of using the blueshirt method again. Word spreads quickly in the coaching community. Especially with modern-day social media.

I meant to say what if say OSU changes their mind and comes to him and says, "hey Mason, we will offer you a blueshirt as well." Whats to stop the athlete from doing so, beyond his word, which is basically just like a commitment and not official until in writing? 

Because also remember, NSD is the FIRST day you can sign, not the last

10 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I meant to say what if say OSU changes their mind and comes to him and says, "hey Mason, we will offer you a blueshirt as well." Whats to stop the athlete from doing so, beyond his word, which is basically just like a commitment and not official until in writing? 

Nothing. Just like a college could come offer and sign someone you offered a PWO to after NSD. Remeber NSD is the FIRST day you can sign.

For instance, Mason Fine decides to take a PWO/Blueshirt/whatever nonbinding thing you want to say and Maryland or WSU or LSU doens't sign a QB on NSD. They could then offer and sign him after to fill the class. Final signing day is April 1st!

Edited by TravisUNT
type
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

From the athletes side, nothing. But that's the same as a grayshirt. It's happened before where kids were going to grayshirt but we're then offered a chance to sign with another school. That's a risk you run with both. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GOMG2013 said:

I dont know all the specifics, but based on what some have posted about Fine, If he is a native American, has a 4.0, and is the class valedictorian... his college will most likely be free no matter what.

He just needs to decide where he wants to walk on and if he thinks he will get a chance at getting on the field.

What if this is what it is. Bringing him as a PWO knowing he will get the full academic scholarship, thus saving a scholly on the athletic side

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

What if this is what it is. Bringing him as a PWO knowing he will get the full academic scholarship, thus saving a scholly on the athletic side

You can do that but you have to be careful. There is some sort of NCAA rules about using Finacial aid for Athletes that should or could go to others. I think if he were to play a certain amount they forfeit the aid or something. It's weird. And using academic scholarships for kids you should give athletic ones for. Not completely clear on it but I know there are rules about it.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I believe this is his first official visit anywhere. Should be a good fit for both sides.

From his film it looks like he could fit in here, and with how Harrell and Littrell working on this kid, I bet they could nail it down.. This kid i bet hasn't had much if any face to face time with our staff, so that is an added benefit

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If he commits he's probably the immediate front runner to start in 2017.

Are we putting too much stock in his 1 p5 offer or does he really look like an under the radar gem? And I say one because the Indiana offer came from littrell. Worries me that he doesn't have more attention and quite frankly is unrated by ESPN.

I guess the real question is, other than size, is he any other better than fine for instance? Because he certainly isn't much more advertised and I feel like that's the feeling around here. Please feel free to make me look like a fool.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Are we putting too much stock in his 1 p5 offer or does he really look like an under the radar gem? And I say one because the Indiana offer came from littrell. Worries me that he doesn't have more attention and quite frankly is unrated by ESPN.

Virginia Tech offered