'16 QB Augie Debiase (Florida)

BillySee58

I Believe he has bounced around high schools with him attending 4 different high schools in 4 years and now colleges as well... we thought he may come here last year after SL and the kid picked a prep school, and never attending it in Canada.. I just have a feeling this kid maybe a diva or just a flat out bust, Give everyone fine and pearson over him any day.. 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

There are some potential red flags, but if the staff decides they're comfortable with him, I'm comfortable as well.

I'm fine with moving on... The kid has bounced around schools and his dad seems as someone who has bounced him around to get him on a super-star team. Bouncing around makes me wonder if he is a good guy in the locker-room as well. But SL has been going after him for a long time.. from his days at Indiana to NC to here... Not sure why the kid hasn't committed after 4/5 years of chasing him..

But I would take Fine and Pearson, over this kid any day.. Pearson has been lighting it up, and seems he is talking/close knit with the other recruits we have landed so far for the 2017 class.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

There are some potential red flags, but if the staff decides they're comfortable with him, I'm comfortable as well.

This.  If they make the call then I'm assuming they know things we don't.

If he comes and does not work out everyone will say see I told you so.  ?

If he ends up being a good player everyone will talk about how creative the coaching staff is to recruit a player like this ?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

?

We already have Fine, Pearson is committed.  If the staff were to offer/sign DeBiase, he would be in addition to them.

What I meant is I would rather have them on the team then this kid.. He has bounced around and just feel like he may not be a great for us. But if SL and them believe he is the right kinda player for us, then lets do this. 

• Downvote 1

Recruiting is about talent acquisition.  If divas are not allowed, then there are loads of highly rated players that would go unrecruited each year.  This staff has shown they are not scared of running off players that don't fit.  If the kid has talent, bring him in and give him a shot.  It is up to the player to take advantage of the opportunity.

Sometimes a little time away from home and a little maturity will do wonders.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

Not sure why you were downvoted here.  This guy sounds like Berglund 2.0 and I wouldn't want him stepping on even the practice field wearing a green jersey.

Berglund had legal issues early on in his career so that might have impacted his development. This guy's story reminds me more of last year's prematurely proclaimed program savior, DeMarcus Smith. It's not Smith or Debiase's fault they grew up in an era of entitlement (hey, I'm 23, I can say it), but they expect to be the expected starter or to at least be a frontrunner to start wherever they go before they get there. That's not how it works and I think Debiase would leave after a year of not starting which means he would be gone after his first season that he's eligible because he's not starting over Fine barring injury.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think Debiase would leave after a year of not starting

If he's been paying any attention at all, he would have to realize that a starting position isn't going to be handed to him.  If Alec Morris wasn't guaranteed a starting job, nobody is.  And there will clearly be an incumbent to overtake when he gets on campus.  If he's going to leave after a year of not starting, he'd be far better off to go somewhere else now than to waste 2 years of his eligibility clock.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If he's been paying any attention at all, he would have to realize that a starting position isn't going to be handed to him.  If Alec Morris wasn't guaranteed a starting job, nobody is.  And there will clearly be an incumbent to overtake when he gets on campus.  If he's going to leave after a year of not starting, he'd be far better off to go somewhere else now than to waste 2 years of his eligibility clock.

I agree. It's just looking at his track history that leads me to believe he wouldn't deal with not being the starter. 

Question though: why does he only have 2 years of eligibility left? He was a high school senior last year and didn't go to prep school this year.

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agree. It's just looking at his track history that leads me to believe he wouldn't deal with not being the starter. 

Question though: why does he only have 2 years of eligibility left? He was a high school senior last year and didn't go to prep school this year.

He has 5 years remaining to play 4.

Edited by TreeFiddy

On 10/9/2016 at 5:21 PM, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Sat in front of his family last night at the game!! Spoke with the mother he is currently taking a couple of online classes at UNT and will be here in January!

Really?  So has he been offered a scholly or is he walking on?  If he has talent let him come.  We need competition and depth at all positions.  Coming in January gives him plenty of time to earn at least the backup job for next year and maybe challenge for the starting job.  

On 10/10/2016 at 11:45 AM, TreeFiddy said:

Recruiting is about talent acquisition.  If divas are not allowed, then there are loads of highly rated players that would go unrecruited each year.  This staff has shown they are not scared of running off players that don't fit.  If the kid has talent, bring him in and give him a shot.  It is up to the player to take advantage of the opportunity.

Sometimes a little time away from home and a little maturity will do wonders.

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Have faith in Seth and Company. If he ends up here they see something.

I agree with SL and them bringing him on if they think he can be something, I just have a feeling this kid won't amount to anything because he seems to have always tried going to a play that has great players and ride off of them instead of him being the main focus, if that makes sense.  But I could see him being someone who comes in and could play 1 year light it up then he goes off to another school as well..But if he is going to be here in Jan. why didn't he sign back in March, it doesn't make sense to come here now after not playing for 1 year when he could have been in the system and competed. 

But I hope I'm completely wrong about this kid, but if i had to pick I would rather roll with Fine or Pearson any day over Augie... Also, I would rather bring in 1 freshman QB per class and not 2, but I would be completely okay with us sign Pearson and Isadora because of the different classes and experience. 

• Upvote 2

As a wise poster here has stated before, "We love to eat our own."

Kid's not even here yet and we've already labeled him a failure. That sucks.

Failures of a shitty past coaching staff should not cloud our judgement of a recruit by this one.

Said this many times, I'm no expert, but quit trashing this kid. Sign up Augie. Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GangGreen said:

As a wise poster here has stated before, "We love to eat our own."

Kid's not even here yet and we've already labeled him a failure. That sucks.

Failures of a shitty past coaching staff should not cloud our judgement of a recruit by this one.

Said this many times, I'm no expert, but quit trashing this kid. Sign up Augie. Go Mean Green.

I haven't see anything that should be labeled as trashing. The points that we have been bringing up, are traits that we are all worried about or dislike, but we all have said if SL is high on this kid which apparently he is since this kid has been a target for years now and 3 different school go get him and bring him in. 

26 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I haven't see anything that should be labeled as trashing. The points that we have been bringing up, are traits that we are all worried about or dislike, but we all have said if SL is high on this kid which apparently he is since this kid has been a target for years now and 3 different school go get him and bring him in. 

Some posters were labeling him a diva without knowing exactly what was going on with him and the coaching staff last year. We have no clue what happened in his recruiting and can't say that he is a diva or anything else. For all we know, the coaches are the ones that didn't bring him in last year and are going to let him walk on now. Who knows, all that matters is the kid may get a shot, and I hope that he takes it and runs with it. It will be hard to get shine here with what Fine is doing right now, but if he is better, he will play... just ask Alec Morris. 

I believe I'm one of the ones that started the who "Diva" title for Augie.. What was meant by this is how he bounced around school to school, I believe he went to 3 or 4 different high schools.. To me that means either, he isn't a good team player or they were trying to get him onto a team for him explode recuiting-wise. While some of this bouncing around could be out of his control, that is understandable. But other things like him talking with Vito in the past saying everything was great with UNT and then all of a sudden he picks going to Prep School over UNT, then picks a Prep School and never shows up.. But then he realizes and signs up for Online classes at UNT. 

Again I hope that this kid works out and puts UNT on the map, but I think it is very doubtful that he lost us as an offer at anytime between SL getting here and the start of this camp. Because we still brought in players after signing day and brought in a 2nd QB in O'hara. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I believe I'm one of the ones that started the who "Diva" title for Augie.. What was meant by this is how he bounced around school to school, I believe he went to 3 or 4 different high schools.. To me that means either, he isn't a good team player or they were trying to get him onto a team for him explode recuiting-wise. While some of this bouncing around could be out of his control, that is understandable. But other things like him talking with Vito in the past saying everything was great with UNT and then all of a sudden he picks going to Prep School over UNT, then picks a Prep School and never shows up.. But then he realizes and signs up for Online classes at UNT. 

Again I hope that this kid works out and puts UNT on the map, but I think it is very doubtful that he lost us as an offer at anytime between SL getting here and the start of this camp. Because we still brought in players after signing day and brought in a 2nd QB in O'hara. 

I second this opinion. I have never called him a diva but I do question his a) desire to attend UNT and b) desire to keep at it with one school regardless of adversity. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of Luke Del Rio on a smaller scale because his dad isn't an NFL coach. Luke transferred to Valor Christian in Colorado for his senior year after his dad was hired by the Broncos. If Valor Christian sounds familiar it's because that's where Christian McCaffrey went. Both Del Rio and Debiase played their senior years of HS football on a team with top talent and they couldn't break through to the recruiting scene. Del Rio is at his third university in as many years. I wouldn't be surprised if DeBiase followed a similar path. It is my opinion that he believes he's greater than UNT and the second he isn't the starter or if he does become the starter, the second he has some success, it is my opinion that he will begin looking elsewhere. Seth Littrell is the only coach who has consistently been recruiting this "kid." I put kid in apostrophes because he is 20 years old and was a high school senior at 19. He was most likely the oldest player on the field most games in high school. He also worked with top QB coaches and still couldn't get the exposure he wanted while playing at a top national HS football program. And while yes, Mason Fine wasn't offered a scholly by anybody but us, it's not due to talent, it's due to size and he was offered POW at the top two Oklahoma schools. We are in C-USA and we know several Florida universities are lacking talent at the QB position. Why have none of them gone after this guy?

What I think is happening is the coaches are going to make DeBiase earn their trust before being offered a scholarship. I think they looked at him and said "You've bounced around a lot and before we use up a scholarship offer and a precious spot of the 25 players we can sign per class, you are going to have to prove your loyalty." There's certain rules regarding how you must allocate scholarship count when placing a walk-on on scholarship and they are probably waiting until they don't have to "assign" him to a class so after his sophomore year (if I'm not mistaken) he would earn a scholarship. I think that's why he's taking online classes and will most likely be walking on. He needs to earn it first and I think our staff is making him earn it. I'm glad they are doing this because I'm not sure how loyal he is considering his high school history. We have 68 scholarship players. I would hate to waste one on a kid who doesn't want to be here.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I second this opinion. I have never called him a diva but I do question his a) desire to attend UNT and b) desire to keep at it with one school regardless of adversity. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of Luke Del Rio on a smaller scale because his dad isn't an NFL coach. Luke transferred to Valor Christian in Colorado for his senior year after his dad was hired by the Broncos. If Valor Christian sounds familiar it's because that's where Christian McCaffrey went. Both Del Rio and Debiase played their senior years of HS football on a team with top talent and they couldn't break through to the recruiting scene. Del Rio is at his third university in as many years. I wouldn't be surprised if DeBiase followed a similar path. It is my opinion that he believes he's greater than UNT and the second he isn't the starter or if he does become the starter, the second he has some success, it is my opinion that he will begin looking elsewhere. Seth Littrell is the only coach who has consistently been recruiting this "kid." I put kid in apostrophes because he is 20 years old and was a high school senior at 19. He was most likely the oldest player on the field most games in high school. He also worked with top QB coaches and still couldn't get the exposure he wanted while playing at a top national HS football program. And while yes, Mason Fine wasn't offered a scholly by anybody but us, it's not due to talent, it's due to size and he was offered POW at the top two Oklahoma schools. We are in C-USA and we know several Florida universities are lacking talent at the QB position. Why have none of them gone after this guy?

What I think is happening is the coaches are going to make DeBiase earn their trust before being offered a scholarship. I think they looked at him and said "You've bounced around a lot and before we use up a scholarship offer and a precious spot of the 25 players we can sign per class, you are going to have to prove your loyalty." There's certain rules regarding how you must allocate scholarship count when placing a walk-on on scholarship and they are probably waiting until they don't have to "assign" him to a class so after his sophomore year (if I'm not mistaken) he would earn a scholarship. I think that's why he's taking online classes and will most likely be walking on. He needs to earn it first and I think our staff is making him earn it. I'm glad they are doing this because I'm not sure how loyal he is considering his high school history. We have 68 scholarship players. I would hate to waste one on a kid who doesn't want to be here.

Valor Christian was also the high school of former Mean Green great Brock Berglund.  

• Downvote 1