Fritz' 2nd Year FBS Triple Option In The GoDaddy Bowl

FirefightnRick

People have pointed out that Fritz ran the spread while at Sam Houston and that he is not an option guy. 

So, essentially Fritz won at GS with players that he didn't recruit running an offense he doesn't run.  Sounds like he got out just in time.

Ultimate bus driver?

Ultimate winner. He can win in a system that isn't even his. 

He wins everywhere he goes.

But, hey, we got a guy who has never coached anywhere but P5s and has zero head coaching experience. So, success???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

People have pointed out that Fritz ran the spread while at Sam Houston and that he is not an option guy. 

Just because you run the spread does not mean you throw the ball 600 times a game.  In fact SHSU ran an option based spread and was top 10 in rushing in 2011 and 2012.  

Willie Fritz teams tend to run a lot, just out of multiple formations with multiple run/pass options every play.  I expect whatever Tulane does it will be  run first team.  

Ultimate winner. He can win in a system that isn't even his. 

He wins everywhere he goes.

But, hey, we got a guy who has never coached anywhere but P5s and has zero head coaching experience. So, success???

Fritz was an assistant coach at one time? Oh wait NO he was born a Head Coach!!! Geeeeez

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Fritz was an assistant coach at one time? Oh wait NO he was born a Head Coach!!! Geeeeez

Well sort of...born to be a head coach by way of working through the ranks ....from an assistant in HS, to his first head coach job at Blinn Junior college, then at D2 Central Missouri, then to FCS Sam and FBS GSU.  

Maybe that's why he's been so successful because he's gone thru each level and has a firm grasp and understanding of what it takes to succeed?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just because you run the spread does not mean you throw the ball 600 times a game.  In fact SHSU ran an option based spread and was top 10 in rushing in 2011 and 2012.  

Willie Fritz teams tend to run a lot, just out of multiple formations with multiple run/pass options every play.  I expect whatever Tulane does it will be  run first team.  

Of course they can. That is why saying that Littrell only runs a chick and duck is so ill informed. 

He has shown that he likes to run the ball out of the spread formation. Many refer to this as the 'power spread' and seems to be the wrinkle that was added to the Air Raid style offenses to incorporate more running. 

Fritz's camp never showed any public interest in the job based on everything I saw. Not sure what else you are supposed to do if a guy isn't interested.

• Upvote 1

Of course they can. That is why saying that Littrell only runs a chick and duck is so ill informed. 

He has shown that he likes to run the ball out of the spread formation. Many refer to this as the 'power spread' and seems to be the wrinkle that was added to the Air Raid style offenses to incorporate more running. 

Fritz's camp never showed any public interest in the job based on everything I saw. Not sure what else you are supposed to do if a guy isn't interested.

When I refer to the Chunk And Duck...that's just a Buddy Ryanism...I think it was a reference at Jack Pardee's Run-N-Shoot?  And I've never said that all Littrell does is throw,..but he will when he starts getting behind.  It reminds me of all the horror that Dodge's system brought to us...mainly on short yardage situations.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Our conference winning streak spanned four seasons. It began in 2001 and wasn't broken until 2005.

Trust me I know.  I was at almost every game.  That 5-7 record still felt like a losing record.  As I recall we also lost to Troy that year as a transitional FCS school. 

• Upvote 3

Abd there ain't no guarantee that Littrell is anything close to Fritz...

BECAUSE HE HASN'T DONE IT...

FRITZ HAS...

Geeeeez. 

Really? Because stating early in the search that you want a P5 OC that runs the spread would really generate interest from the Fritz camp, right?

But I do see your point. I'm sure RV took his normal approach and waited for Fritz to contact him. I mean, UNT sells itself, right? 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Abd there ain't no guarantee that Littrell is anything close to Fritz...

BECAUSE HE HASN'T DONE IT...

FRITZ HAS...

Geeeeez. 

Really? Because stating early in the search that you want a P5 OC that runs the spread would really generate interest from the Fritz camp, right?

But I do see your point. I'm sure RV took his normal approach and waited for Fritz to contact him. I mean, UNT sells itself, right? 

Uh he had done it! Look at his stats and the schools he did it with! Indiana, NC! Is this hard on going to replace the RV hard on? Happy Holidays fellow alumni. (It is kinda a special day)

Is this hard on going to replace the RV hard on? Happy Holidays fellow alumni. (It is kinda a special day)

You see, our new coach was selected while RV is still here. Therefore anything he did, does, or will do is "tainted" by RV and therefore must be bad. There're going to even suggest that a 1960's offense must be better than than anything from today because RV has suggested running an updated offense. Thus the new love for the the run first from the same people who were screaming "throw the ball." What's next, bring back leather helmets since RV likes safer ones? 

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You see, our new coach was selected while RV is still here. Therefore anything he did, does, or will do is "tainted" by RV and therefore must be bad. There're going to even suggest that a 1960's offense must be better than than anything from today because RV has suggested running an updated offense. Thus the new love for the the run first from the same people who were screaming "throw the ball." What's next, bring back leather helmets since RV likes safer ones? 

Imagine you running to RV's defense. Shocked, I tell ya.

The fact that RV limited looking for any candidate except a P5 OC that ran the spread shows just what a reactionary AD he is (as if marketing, the ticket office, or just about anything else he is responsible for doesn't also scream reactionary). 

It was really stupid and limited quality candidates. 

And for the one millionth time, I didn't care what offense Fritz ran. I cared that HE WON EVERYWHERE HE WAS A HEAD COACH. Including places that were historically difficult to win at.

We will see in 4 years if another RV tainted hire is a success or failure. The odds are on failure, especially if RV and his reactionary culture hang around.

Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

On December 24, 2015 at 11:39 PM, UNT90 said:

I think the overreaction back to "we must have a young coordinator who runs the spread" was stupid and candidate limiting. Hopefully we hit on a guy who succeeds despite the flawed search. History says that is unlikely, to be kind. 

It smacks of overreacting RV and/or overreacting big money donors.

Hope I'm wrong. 

Stop being so negative UNT90.  And by negative, I mean thoughtful and skeptical of a program that has done very little substantially positive beyond building some facilities.  It was a very limiting search criteria.  However given that limited criteria Seth was probably the best candidate they could have settled on.  Many UNT fans are like die hard local Dallas Cowboys fans that have never lived in another NFL city.  They don't grasp how poorly the Cowboys have been run since the mid 1990s because they haven't taken the time to contrast the Cowboys front office with the front offices of successful NFL franchises.  There is little excuse here because have we a perfect example just 40 miles down south in TCU.  (The excuse that they have larger group of core fans with deeper pockets only goes so far.  They are still a private school with less than 1/3 of UNT's student population).

But to your strong point the equation is simple.  Seth won't win here because the "magic" recruiting advantage of running a spread offense.  He will win because he is a great head coach.  So harping on the system instead W vs L results is just plain stupid.  And the same number of fans are showing up to see a 6-6 spread option team that plays team most fans don't care about as a 6-6 triple option team that plays team most fans don't care about.

Edited by Mike Jackson
grammer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 11:05 AM, UNT90 said:

And for the one millionth time, I didn't care what offense Fritz ran. I cared that HE WON EVERYWHERE HE WAS A HEAD COACH. Including places that were historically difficult to win at.

Georgia Southern certainly doesn't fit this statement as they were 7-4 when Fritz took over. SHSU won under Randlemann but Whitten screwed that up and they were 5-6 when Fritz took over, and how about this gem from Central Missouri on Fritz's predecessor, From 1983-1996, Terry Noland posted a record of 78-65-2. Noland owns the school records for wins, seasons as head coach, and conference titles, and he is responsible for getting Central Missouri State on the map as one of the premier programs in the Midwest. Central Missouri was 4-7 when he took over and in 13 years he shared one conference co-championship with 4 other teams. Yes, Fritz has a better overall record than Noland but the point is that it was not "historically difficult to win at".

Now if he wins at Tulane who is 3-9 and historically bad, you will have a valid point but until then, he has won at programs that have been nowhere near as bad of shape as Tulane or us.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, GangGreen said:

Adding to Georgia Southern, from 1997-2013 they have posted a record of 157-63, won 9 conference championships, and won two national championships. In that time period, they have been coached by current Georgia Tech Head Coach Paul Johnson and current Southern Miss. Head Coach Jeff Monken.

...all with the Triple Option offense.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4