Fritz' 2nd Year FBS Triple Option In The GoDaddy Bowl

FirefightnRick

The Georgia Southern QB runs it to perfection.  Very impressive.

I was watching that kid and thinking, wow - Oklahoma would have paid him handsomely back in the 80s.  Kid's real smooth.  Fun to see that offense when it's clicking.  Although, the OU-Miami tilts of 1985-87 showed its limitations when it runs up against a really fast, athletic defense. 

But, then again, really fast, athletic defenses usually shut down any type of offense they face, so...there's that.

Still, really fun to watch the option executed to near perfection.

It was boring football.  Just like nobody can blast you out of being Debbie downer I am solely in the camp of wanting exciting football.   You see five star is about performance and drama.  Littrell will hopefully win with drama.  Fritz wins with boring football.  

We get big 12 cast offs and others that want to play modern football in green and that is what keeps me flying in from far away to watch the Mean Green.

fritz football bores me.  Throw me some Oregon tcu and Baylor style football any day.  Welcome to Denton.  

Go Mean Green!!!!!

So you would rather throw it around and lose than run it EFFECTIVELY and win. 

Got it.

We should have just brought Todd Dodge back for you. 

Interesting that Georgia Southern produced their highest point total in the one game Fritz didn't coach. Just sayin'.

Look, I think Fritz is a terrific coach who has won everywhere he has been. He would have been a great choice to coach here if he was hired. We simply don't know who turned who down and most likely never will. He is not our coach and no amount of posts about triple option football, Georgia Southern Bowl wins, and champion high school offenses will make it so. Let's all move on and concentrate on who IS here and how he can turn UNT into a destination for high school athletes.

No, you see because RV and the KRAMs and NMGreens of this board will claim in 3 or 4 years that "everyone was onboard" with the Littrell hire (if Littrell fails). 

Just like RV said in recent podcasts about DMac and Dodge. 

And those comments were made even though there were people who expressed concerns with both hires who were shouted down by the sunshine pumping trolls on this sight. 

Sadly, saying it once isn't enough. It must be said continually so when in 3 or 4 years RV (yes, he will still be here) rolls out that same, tired line again, there will be a distinct memory of people questioning the hire. Personally, I give Littrell about a 20% chance of being successful, which drops to 5% if RV remains in power past May.

And I'm tired of throwing money away on a terrible program led by a terrible administrator who must have naked pictures of Fly and the 17 (Sly and the Family Stone tribute band). Really no other explanation. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Second, I didn't take Coach Littrell as mocking the triple option itself.  He was mocking the notion of him running the triple option.  As I believe he said, "That's not me."  He's a coach off the Mike Leach tree, and his comment would have been like Mike Leach when he took the job at Washington State saying, "I'll be running the triple option."  It would have been ridiculous and funny, because everyone knows that Mike Leach's offense is the diametric opposite.  I don't think he had any intention of saying the triple option is inferior, or that teams can't win with it today.

That was my initial thought, too, but I was not going to post anything until after watching the video.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

So you would rather throw it around and lose than run it EFFECTIVELY and win. 

Got it.

We should have just brought Todd Dodge back for you. 

No, you see because RV and the KRAMs and NMGreens of this board will claim in 3 or 4 years that "everyone was onboard" with the Littrell hire (if Littrell fails). 

Just like RV said in recent podcasts about DMac and Dodge. 

And those comments were made even though there were people who expressed concerns with both hires who were shouted down by the sunshine pumping trolls on this sight. 

Sadly, saying it once isn't enough. It must be said continually so when in 3 or 4 years RV (yes, he will still be here) rolls out that same, tired line again, there will be a distinct memory of people questioning the hire. Personally, I give Littrell about a 20% chance of being successful, which drops to 5% if RV remains in power past May.

And I'm tired of throwing money away on a terrible program led by a terrible administrator who must have naked pictures of Fly and the 17 (Sly and the Family Stone tribute band). Really no other explanation. 

So after Feb 2018 when his contract is up, you really think we will renegotiate and extend RV. If that happens then I will buy a '66 Thunderbird and you and I can go all Thelma and Louise on the administration.

PS I get to be Thelma.

• Upvote 1

The talk of offense by non coaches on here is comical. You guys seriously have zero clue. Yes, the triple option can be run out of various formations.  They are called RPC now. Run pass combos. Get a mofo clue. 

I did thoroughly enjoy Georgia Southerns out of the pistol look pretty neat. They even added some down field stuff on the twins side to occupy the secondary. 

• Upvote 1

So after Feb 2018 when his contract is up, you really think we will renegotiate and extend RV. If that happens then I will buy a '66 Thunderbird and you and I can go all Thelma and Louise on the administration.

PS I get to be Thelma.

The sad thing is it taking you 20 plus years at that point of a terrible AD to get to the point of revolt. 

And if you are Thelma, prepare to be groped by Louise...

If I'm Thelma, I'll grope myself.

She was always hot, but never hotter than in that role (Yes, League of Their Own included). 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The sad thing is it taking you 20 plus years at that point of a terrible AD to get to the point of revolt. 

And if you are Thelma, prepare to be groped by Louise...

If I'm Thelma, I'll grope myself.

She was always hot, but never hotter than in that role (Yes, League of Their Own included). 

I'm kinda OK with that. And remember, self-love is never wrong.

• Upvote 1

Just when it seems like you can't be anymore you... You take your yourselfness up another level.   How high can you go?

What mod made this the highlighted post? We are told all the time to not criticize and then a mod highlights this response?  What's that called? I believe hypocritical is the word. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

While I know some here are hot for that style of offense we don't have any of the personnel to run that type of offense. I suspect it will be challenging to recruit to that style of offense, given few HS programs run that style today.

GSU's all world QB last night..Favian Upshaw.......(is he just an Elite Athlete...or a BillySee58 Elite Athlete?????)...all 6'1" 170 lb's of him, was a Pro-Style quarterback out of Astronaught HS in Titusville Florida.  He missed all but two games his senior year due to injuries, and eventually signed with FIU.  He redshirted his freshman year in '12, transferred to GSU in '13 and sat, and played sparingly while CONVERTING TO A TRIPLE OPTION QB.  And here's the best part.. UNTIL LAST NIGHT HE WAS THE BACK UP THIS YEAR.

Thats what good coaches do.  They take players few others wanted or could find a use for and coach them up.  There's nothing in unt-rocket09's rule book of "I-know-more-football-than-you-Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo" that reads other programs can't do the very same thing.  

Rick

• Downvote 3

Let's keep this in perspective guys. Fritz will not be holding a GoDaddy trophy because Ga Southern was coached by Dell McGee, the running backs coach while BG was coached by their DC Brian Ward. Dino Babers' offense doesn't seem to be effective without Dino Babers calling the plays.

Keep in mind the last game Fritz ever coached at Georgia Southern, Southern suffered their worst home loss in program history to in-state rival Georgia State.

Let's keep this in perspective guys. Fritz will not be holding a GoDaddy trophy because Ga Southern was coached by Dell McGee, the running backs coach while BG was coached by their DC Brian Ward. Dino Babers' offense doesn't seem to be effective without Dino Babers calling the plays.

Keep in mind the last game Fritz ever coached at Georgia Southern, Southern suffered their worst home loss in program history to in-state rival Georgia State.

Can't speak for everyone else but I knew this.  Not sure why anyone else wouldn't either? It's still Frit's team coached by the staff he assembled, thus the title of the thread.

Rick

For this ^ and reasons posted ad naseum throughout this board, I hope Fritz is an Epic failure at Tulane and Littrell is an overwhelming success. I don/t think I could stand listening to this "if we'd have hired Willie Fritz" business for the next 3 years.

Track record shows that Fritz isn't going to be a failure at Tulane. The best you can hope for is that Littrell is Fritz junior and wins at a place where it is impossible to win at due mainly to the environment created by a terrible AD. 

you both realized that a lot of teams in college football run a variation of triple option...? Tons of Zone Read teams have the give, pull or keep and throw the PA pass?  That may be to modern for you old geezers!!  ;) 

Then why are you so opposed to the triple option?...

And Ga. Southern would beat UNT next year by 60. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why aren't you rooting for a Big 12 program then?

I bet you can count on no fingers the times Littrell's offense puts up 58 next year, much less against a 10 win team. Sorry you were bored watching all those touchdowns. Lol. 

This is a prime example of people saying really dumb things to reinforce their own beliefs, or NM Green may just be sunshine pumping as usuWhy is this even being discu0sed here?

Why is this being discussed on here?  Why don't you and Rick hit up the GS or Tulane fanboards and talk to those that love Fritz, because he isn't coaching here now and probably will never be in the future.

• Upvote 5

OK. You're wrong. Deal with it. It's nothing similar. Aren't you some kind of coach? Shouldn't you know better? 

Oh, and ask me how many shits I give about what I am thought of on here. Hint: less than 1. As for all the answers, no. But my answer to this bogus discussion is that you are in fact wrong and I am right. You are schemeatically comparing Navy, Ga Tech and Ga Southern to when some plain jane team throws in the read option as a wrinkle. Just not the way it is. Get blue in the face upset, still doesn't change it. 

Jersey Housewives have hi jacked the blog!!!

• Upvote 1

For this ^ and reasons posted ad naseum throughout this board, I hope Fritz is an Epic failure at Tulane and Littrell is an overwhelming success. I don/t think I could stand listening to this "if we'd have hired Willie Fritz" business for the next 3 years.

Ha Ha!!!  

For future reference,..no one else discuss football here unless it's about North Texas Football and it includes Sunshine Pump Stations.  

Rick

• Downvote 2

Why is this being discussed on here?  Why don't you and Rick hit up the GS or Tulane fanboards and talk to those that love Fritz, because he isn't coaching here now and probably will never be in the future.

Because we are here to make your life miserable, obviously.

Oh, and to remind that limiting coaching candidates to "must be OC at a P5 that runs the spread" may not be such a good idea. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1