Great football memories

Wag Tag

UH game opening night and I am in my Club Level seats with my college sweetheart with 28,000 other fans watching frig'n NTSU! (my age)

Goal stand against Rice when 22,000 fans sounded like 40,000 plus! Lost my voice.

HOD, not just the game and great weather but the night before downtown Dallas was GREEN and WHITE!

What are some of your great football memories? Happy Holidays GMG!

• Upvote 6

Beating Houston 28-0 at Texas Stadium in '75 (they won the SWC the next year)

Beating Tennessee in '75 (I told my dad we would beat them before the season started, but I was just a kid and didn't really know how big an upset I was calling)

Losing to Florida State in the snow in '76 and the three guys from the band that stayed and played at halftime.

Beating SMU in '77 at Texas Stadium.

Watching the highlight show in '77 when we beat Southern Miss on the road and seeing their Golden Eagle mascot do a face plant after we scored to take the lead.

Meeting the team at the airport in '77 after we beat Memphis State 20-19.

Also beating the crap out of La Tech the same year, then not getting a bowl invitation because of it.

The opening game of '78 when we hammered UTEP while we were wearing apple green and they were in road cone orange.

Sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store and hearing on the radio that Coach Fry was leaving.

Beating UTA to open their new stadium

My first game as a student and traveling to Baylor (also Coach Nelson's first game for us)

Leading Texas in '83 at the half 6-2 (we lost 26-6)

Going to Texas Tech in '85 because it was my grandfathers last game to see as a Red Raider alumni

Beating TCU in '86 and wishing I HAD gone to the game.

The fight with SMU in '90 and beating their butts in Denton.

Traveling to Nichols in '94 to watch us win the Southland after traveling to SFA and watching us tie the week before.

Beating Oregon State in '95

TCU coming to Denton in '01

Playing Texas Tech at Texas Stadium after 9/11

Beating Middle Tennessee in '01 after losing to Monroe the week before.

NO Bowl #1, #2, #3, and #4

Beating SMU again in '06

Scoring 62 against Navy and still getting beat by 12

Opening a new stadium (which I thought would NEVER happen)

Being at Georgia and watching us tie the game in the second half.

Crushing Tulsa to seal the trip to the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Crushing UNLV to win the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Crushing SMU so badly that their coach quit after the game

I could probably remember more, but this is a pretty good start.

Edited by UNT86
  • Upvote 4

Sitting in the end zone at FOUTS in 00, 01, 02, 03.   Those were great, not entirely wholesome times with friends that I won't forget.  

The 4 Bourbon bowls in NO.   At one of them I thought I had won the lottery, I went to NO with 4 girls and me...   That's it!   What could go wrong?   Well for starters that arrangement is a trap....   And my room mate and best friend totaled my car while I was gone.   I will never forget that voicemail.  The beer guy at the game was so concerned about me that game that he gave me two beers!    And we beat cinci so there's that!

beating NMSU and tearing down the goal post with that same friend who wrecked my car.  We carried that thing to the admin building and sang loud and then to fry and drank Jim from the bottle thanks to Lucky Lou!   I think that was the night I realized that I really loved this team and I have been a die hard ever since. 

Jamario vs colorado

stomping baylor

beating the hell out of smut

THESTAND!!!   Made some great friends in the end zone that night.  My hands hurt from beating up the wall, I had no voice and I witnessed something that I will never ever see again.   What a series!   Never seen anything like it from any level of play.    Was a season ticket holder for the next year the next week .

The Tip drill

the HOd bowl was amazing.   The game was awesome, but Dallas dressing up for us touched me. 

Friends and tailgating, vodka filled oranges, bonding with lifelong friends over a struggling team.   Bonding with lifelong friends over the nations longest conference winning streak and one of the best defenses I have ever seen was probably more fun though!

this exercise made me realize something.   Being a fan is fun, it's emotional and it's rewarding.  We are all here because we feel these same things and that's wonderful!  I have more good feelings and great memories from this school and this team than I do bad ones and I guess that's what keeps me coming back.  And you know what...    All the trials and tribulations is just going to make it that much sweeter when we finally get back!   

Go Mean Green!

fire rv

• Upvote 5

My first football game as a freshman, in Dodge's last year, I believe we lost by 1 point against  Rice.

Our last year in the sun belt when we upset Louisiana Lafayette, I think Jimmerson scored the winning touchdown on a screen pass...? 

A game against MTSU in the pouring rain in front of a sparse crowd when I believe Lance Dunbar went off for over 250 yards and set school records.

The stand. I'd also group together just about every home game + the LaTech game I went to in Ruston in 2013.

Heart of Dallas Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

Winning 2 out of 3 against Texas Tech

Scoring on opening drive at OU in '98.  crowd got quiet quickly.  Ultimately the first four games of 98.  One against a preseason top 10 and one against a final ranked #7 Texas A/M.  Worst loss was to Texas Tech and they were not that good ha.

The towels and DVD players at Utah St.  also, jumping the fence because they did not leave the stadium open for the Friday walk around.

the changeout from Simon to Dickey.  

Camp Sparta's did suck.  Out of shape guys would be passed out on their knees.  they would look like they were resting but would be completely out.

Recruiting season was always fun

A lot more memories but those are some quick hits.

• Upvote 2

Odus Mitchell's final home game against Chattanoga.  We thoroughly dominated on defense with a young Joe Greene.  Mitchell was finishing his 21st year at NT.  He had 21 years in high school prior.  He had coached Y. A. Tittle in high school.  He had a total of 42 years coaching.  When we scored 21 points, the public address announcer said" 21 points for 21 years. Anyone want to go for 42."  The  word was at halftime some of the players were in tears.  The band did a special half time for Mitchell.  Late in the game we scored to give us 40 points.  When the team set up to kick the extra point to make 41, the student section booed their own team.  The ball was snapped, and the holder stood up. We went for two to make 42 points for 42 years.  Everybody was delirious.  

• Upvote 5

Scoring on opening drive at OU in '98.

I didn't know about that.  I remember we scored first vs. OU in 2001, too.

Good memories:  Marching all the half-time shows in 2001.  The tributes to 9/11 were special, particularly in Texas Stadium and NO Bowl where we shared the field with the Red Raider and Colorado State bands, respectively.

All the NMSU games during our Sun Belt title runs.  I think Hickman was the RB that always had a field day against them, his entire career.

The 70+ yard punt that helped seal our first Sun Belt win versus MTSU.  We lost to ULM the week before and I thought we were going nowhere.

Too many players to name.

Meeting FFR and Silver at the players' awards banquet one year.

Many more.

• Upvote 2

So many to choose from.  I'd start with the entire 2001 season.  I attended every game that year with a good friend of mine.  

Started 0-5 with road trips to Norman, Tampa & Monroe

My first trip to Norman and first time to see Big XII football in person.

My friend had a connection that helped us get a beach front condo in Tampa the week of the USF game.  Turns out the week before we stayed there President Bush had stayed in the same condo.  Resort staff was still moving furnishings back in that secret service had removed.

Took the bus trip from hell to Monroe with many on this board.  Watched Necessary Roughness on the way out, got super pumped then lost to a team I was sure we would beat.  Bus ride home was a beating.  To this day I refuse to watch Necessary Roughness on game days.

At this point in the season I see no reason for hope.

Next week we shock the Conference favorites, MTSU, in Denton.

Late in the game with NT leading 21-0, GreenJoe, who has seats close to mine, yells "When does the North Texas game start!"

I am shocked, but still don't expect much from the rest of the season.

Following a victory over Arkansas State, we travel to Las Cruces.

We had a good crowd.  Security kept moving our fans out of the good seats (even though they were empty) and into the corner of the end zone.  IIRC, Emmitt actually walks to the ticket booth and buys tickets in the section we were removed from and security still makes him move.  

NMSU students start chanting "F$%k North Texas" from the student section.

We win in a miracle comeback.  The legend of "The Miracle in the Desert" is born.  

NMSU turns off the stadium lights as soon as the game clock ticks to 0.00.  We tailgate in the parking lot for hours after the game.

I start to think the impossible may happen.

We beat the Cajuns then travel to Idaho.

Go to a sports bar in Moscow the night before the game.  On the menu I find a "Mean Green Burger".  No joke.

Not many NT fans in the stands.  Brad Olson is there in their version of a suite and promises to throw some pretzels to me in the cheap seats.  He doesn't.

My friend and I are interviewed by the NT Daily and get on the front page the following week.

We win big and secure a berth in the New Orleans Bowl.

We travel to Troy to play the Trojans and secure a .500 record.

We lose.  Damn.

MTSU fans begin an epic meltdown over being snubbed for a 5-7 North Texas.

New Orleans baby!

So much fun on Bourbon Street.  Game is a disappointment, but I had a fantastic time.

• Upvote 1

Simon took over for Parker in 94 and there were a lot of guys on the team who only went through the motions but the team had a lot of damn good players. He aimed to change the slacker mentality of some and he did it through a surreal Fall camp. 

Simon is a history buff. Long before 300 came out and made Sparta cool he mailed us letters at home with our report itineraries and told us it would be called Camp Sparta. He gave a brief history of what Sparta was and only the strong would survive Sparta or his camp. It's exactly what happened in the Fall of 94.

By today's standards, that camp would be illegal as hell. We had a 5 am wake up, which felt like 2 hours of sleep at the time after night activities, followed by early films, followed by a marathon first practice that ended in conditioning where vomiting was standard, scholarship player quit on the spot, and people passed out regularly. Oh, and injuries, even to the head, were just in your mind...

Weights were obviously between practices. Another kick in the ass.

The second practice was usually worse than the first because the days heat got worse. (I still remember seeing fraternity/sorority rush and wondering what the hell i was doing.) I had problems just walking because of the blisters on my feet but still ran non-stop. I also had a hard time with brown urine beause of dehydration. I drank a ton of water too. The trainers only helped the really hard cases. The mildly banged up were considered pussies. (Sorry for the non PC term but it's the words used) I lost 22 pounds during that camp and I'very never been fat. 

The dorm at West Hall was a whole story in and of itself. We called the nights "The Midnight Train" because so many guys quit in the middle of the night. We could here them leaving through the halls. Simon put a bag by the door for the quitters the put their keys. Some guys just couldn't quit in front of their friends.

Like I said, I was too young and dumb to realize that it wasn't a normal experience. I was 18 and wanted to play football and didn't want to fail myself, my team, the older players, my coaches, especially Bill Michaels, and my dad.

I have no way to explain how hard it was because I'm not a poet. It was outlandish. However, he was right, the guys who stayed were believers and we were winners together. It was a team through thick and thin. I carry a gun for the US government every day and can promise you that was the toughest thing I've ever been through. Maybe it just prepared me for life. Who knows. I will say, I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I like historical references, so, I hope the new coach burns the boats...

Thanks for the story.  I know there was a mass exodus of players in Simon's first year, had not heard the back story. 

Beating Ball State, who I believe was coming off of an undefeated regular season, on the road in our first game of the season with Riley Dodge at the helm for the first time.   Many of us thought this was the start of a program turnaround.   (It wasn't)

I watched this game in a bar in the DC area. By the end of the game I had a group of bartenders and customers totally into the game and kind of MG fans (none of which had ever heard of us). What a let down after that game.

Post script. Anyone else sometimes forget what a good back Cam could be? Hard running.

• Upvote 2

Odus Mitchell's final home game against Chattanoga.  We thoroughly dominated on defense with a young Joe Greene.  Mitchell was finishing his 21st year at NT.  He had 21 years in high school prior.  He had coached Y. A. Tittle in high school.  He had a total of 42 years coaching.  When we scored 21 points, the public address announcer said" 21 points for 21 years. Anyone want to go for 42."  The  word was at halftime some of the players were in tears.  The band did a special half time for Mitchell.  Late in the game we scored to give us 40 points.  When the team set up to kick the extra point to make 41, the student section booed their own team.  The ball was snapped, and the holder stood up. We went for two to make 42 points for 42 years.  Everybody was delirious.

That is freaking awesome!  Had never heard about his last game.  Thanks for sharing.

Rick

• Upvote 1