Seth Littrell's Contract Details

MGNation92

That is exactly what he did.  He wanted higher pay for his assistants, so he took less.  Says a lot about the character of the man to me.  Way to go Coach Littrell.  

I would like to see the assistant salary before stating this as fact. Also, who's to say this wasn't the offered amount. With this pay the OC/DC need to be at at least 250K a piece. Of course that is easy for me to say while not funneling money into it....blindly. 

To add, if it is true that he accepted less to give more to his assistants (of which why a first time HC would do that is kind of a head scratcher), I don't like it. I like the model of being able to say, "North Texas pays their HC X amount of dollars." It helps with perception and will at least put us on a financial fast track to success on the field. No one cares about saying, "North Texas only pays their HC X amount of dollars, but at least the assistant salary pool is comparable to some conference foes." JMO. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

It is a fact, Ben.  He was offered a higher salary...a good bit higher.  He asked that it be used for his assistants.  I realize it is hard for you to believe any decent news regarding UNT, but it is what it is, and that is what happened.  There just might be a Santa after all as far as his assistants are concerned.

If true, good for him. I am not trying to SMU our athletic department with my previous comments. But having a history of paying our HC handsomely will pay dividends when Littrell is neither fired or hired away and we're back at square 1. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

The bigger story here is. Did Sidway scoop Vito AGAIN?

200.gif

Here are the details

http://ntdaily.com/new-head-football-coach-littrells-contract-worth-3-625-million-over-five-years/

So 725K base with a "realistic" chance of getting himself to 865K based on performance incentives. The CFB playoff incentives are naive to even include. 

I wish they would have included an attendance incentive. 25,000 attendance average he receives an additional 50K. 30.85K for each sellout of 30,850. I know attendance isn't his job, but we need as many ambassadors pushing attendance as we can possibly get given the poor marketing and organization of the AD. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

They are probably in negotiations with the other assistants and thus, do not want to divulge the assistant pay until they get through that process.  In the end, it will all come out in the wash as there will be an FOI request on all assistant salaries and compensation.

My hope is that they will create a recruiting specific position with the additional funding and Littrell's blessing.

The contract is good. There is no doubt that he will put in the effort to achieve results (because that is the kind of guy he seems to be) and the contractual structure lets him be rewarded for those results. No complaints here.

• Upvote 3

It is a fact, Ben.  He was offered a higher salary...a good bit higher.  He asked that it be used for his assistants.  I realize it is hard for you to believe any decent news regarding UNT, but it is what it is, and that is what happened.  There just might be a Santa after all as far as his assistants are concerned.

So we are paying a one year college assistant who is going to be OC much more because the head coach took less money?

Ok...

Ben is right, the only thing the majority of college football media are going to look at is UNT didn't raise pay for the head coach. And even if Littrell did give up money for the assistants to be paid more, it just gives the same old impression of little ole UNT not being able to afford to pay legitimate FBS coaching salaries. 

With a better AD over the course of the last 15 years, pay wouldn't be an issue by now...

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 19

So we are paying a one year college assistant who is going to be OC much more because the head coach took less money?

Ok...

Ben is right, the only thing the majority of college football media are going to look at is UNT didn't raise pay for the head coach. And even if Littrell did give up money for the assistants to be paid more, it just gives the same old impression of little ole UNT not being able to afford to pay legitimate FBS coaching salaries. 

With a better AD over the course of the last 15 years, pay wouldn't be an issue by now...

If Fritz had been hired and done the same thing you would have been the same broken record.  Everything isn't "roses and lollipops" but can't you give it a rest 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

If Fritz had been hired and done the same thing you would have been the same broken record.  Everything isn't "roses and lollipops" but can't you give it a rest 

You are right. I would have had the same reaction. A head coach taking a pay cut so UNT can afford assistants isn't a good thing, no matter the head coach.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 16

So 725K base with a "realistic" chance of getting himself to 865K based on performance incentives. The CFB playoff incentives are naive to even include. 

I wish they would have included an attendance incentive. 25,000 attendance average he receives an additional 50K. 30.85K for each sellout of 30,850. I know attendance isn't his job, but we need as many ambassadors pushing attendance as we can possibly get given the poor marketing and organization of the AD. 

Naive perhaps but why not provide a financial incentive to strive towards?

Attendance numbers will follow winning, so to me it is a redundant incentive to provide.

You are right. I would have had the same reaction. A head coach taking a pay cut so UNT can afford assistants isn't a good thing, no matter the head coach.

Littrell was put in the predicament to take a pay cut so he could hire some guys that he wanted to at a price he knew they would come for. He was put in that predicament because of the lack of winning over the last 2 decades and fundraising done by our current athletic director. If he wanted his guys he had no other choice, because the money apparently wasn't there for him to accept his probable 1M offer. No other way do dice it up. That's the way it is and that is our situation because like 90 points out so often, our AD SUCKS!!!! 

Naive perhaps but why not provide a financial incentive to strive towards?

Attendance numbers will follow winning, so to me it is a redundant incentive to provide.

Sure it will. But I don't see us winning in his first couple years to the point of seeing a significant uptick in attendance. I can see us going 6-6 his first 2 years. That will not get the borderline fans on board. It will get the borderline fans to raise eyebrows. I honestly think that with our current situation and perception due to large part our AD (Ricky V), if Littrell goes 6-6 in consecutive years someone will swoop in and pick him up. Because that will be seen as "damn impressive", to come into a place like lowly North Texas and do anything of consistency and/or substance. 

Thanks, RV. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7