Grading The Coaching Hires

DeepGreen

Fritz got an A, eh? 

And I gave Littrell a C+, so I guess that puts me in line with the experts and not the tumblr_njbr1pjfWX1smmsbuo1_400.gif

what's important to remember is who the hire is in regards to the program. A few years ago we would have had no business making a strong hire like this. There were worst hires to make but not many better ones who would have come here. They graded Littrell a B but said in the first line its a great hire for a program lIke ours. In other words, don't be such a Debbie downer. 

• Upvote 6

I am curious to know the details around Fritz and UNT.

1. Did UNT reach out and Fritz wasn't interested? If that's the case then why wasn't he interested?

a. UNT didn't offer enough money for him and/or his assistants. We will see once the FOI requests are granted.

b. Fritz was interested in a higher rung on the ladder like coaching in the AAC instead of CUSA. Can't blame Fritz if this is the case.

2. Did UNT reach out to Fritz and we turned him down after the interview? If this is the case then we will see if this was a wise decision in 2-3 years.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

1. Did UNT reach out and Fritz wasn't interested? If that's the case then why wasn't he interested?

a. UNT didn't offer enough money for him and/or his assistants. We will see once the FOI requests are granted.

b. Fritz was interested in a higher rung on the ladder like coaching in the AAC instead of CUSA. Can't blame Fritz if this is the case.

2. Did UNT reach out to Fritz and we turned him down after the interview? If this is the case then we will see if this was a wise decision in 2-3 years.

I think that all the candidates we interviewed were interested to some extent obviously. The only ones who weren't very seriously interest were probably the Lincoln Riley's and Kendal Briles. I don't think money was an issue. I genuinely just believe we chose Littrell over Meacham, Fritz, etc. 

• Upvote 2

foi requests are why you hire a consultant and get a Burner phone.  There has to be some confidentiality in the process to protect those who are interviewing, otherwise some people wouldn't talk to us.

• Upvote 4

foi requests are why you hire a consultant and get a Burner phone.  There has to be some confidentiality in the process to protect those who are interviewing, otherwise some people wouldn't talk to us.

Speaking more to determining the contract details of each. If Fritz took less money to coach at Tulane then we paid Littrell then coaching in a perceived better conference meant more to Fritz. If not, then it's about the money.

200.gif

Edited by Eagle-96

Did Fitz apply for the UNT job? Did we interview him? I don't think so but that is just a guess. The AAC proved to me that while they are not a Power 5 conference they certainly are a step above anyone in the Gang of 5.In my opinion we made a good hire based upon who was interested and affordable, but won't really know for 3 or 4 years.

• Upvote 2

Can't help but wonder...if Fritz had come here and Littrell went to Tulane, would Fritz have gotten a B and Littrell would have gotten an A?

It is fair to assume that the AD at UNT lowers the grade at least a full letter. 

Thats what you were trying to say, right? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Wouldn't it be a better idea to grade a new hire once they've had a chance to do some actual recruiting and lead the team through a complete season?

On the outside it seems like a good hire but we've yet to see anything really tangible take place.

Did Fitz apply for the UNT job? Did we interview him? I don't think so but that is just a guess. The AAC proved to me that while they are not a Power 5 conference they certainly are a step above anyone in the Gang of 5.In my opinion we made a good hire based upon who was interested and affordable, but won't really know for 3 or 4 years.

Some of us don't have that long.  I want mine NOW!!!

• Upvote 1

Speaking more to determining the contract details of each. If Fritz took less money to coach at Tulane then we paid Littrell then coaching in a perceived better conference meant more to Fritz. If not, then it's about the money.

200.gif

Tulane is a private school so not subject to releasing salaries or a FOIA.

• Upvote 1