CFB Attendance 2015

10Eagle10

I wish those numbers included the stadium capacity to show how bad some of the teams actually are. 

Agree. A column showing attendance as a percentage of capacity would be enlightening. What the hell is going on at Balls Taste? They were a powerful competitor not long ago. And EMU! Now there is a place for an AD with a vision to make his mark. Off 67% ?

Edited by EagleMBA

Just for the halibut, I checked out Eastern Michigan University (EMU). They have a nice indoor football practice facility (need that up there in Upsilanti) and their stadium seats 30,200. All-time record game attendance was 25,009 in 1995 when they beat UNLV 51 - 6. They averaged 4,897 (16.22%) this year in the MAC! They played a bodybag game at LSU and lost at home to Old Dominion and Army; they went 1 - 11 for the season, winning only at Wyoming on the road. They scored 25.42 PPG and allowed 42.08 PPG. They had 157.8 YPG rushing (had a 1,000 yd rusher) and 222.2 YPG passing (QB EFF 125.82, 60.98%). Avg TOP was only 27:04.

Does this story sound familiar to you? 

http://www.hustlebelt.com/emu-eagles/2015/10/11/9495715/emu-eagles-football-program-patience

Edited by EagleMBA

Agree. A column showing attendance as a percentage of capacity would be enlightening. What the hell is going on at Balls Taste? They were a powerful competitor not long ago. And EMU! Now there is a place for an AD with a vision to make his mark. Off 67% ?

There are many similarities that can be drawn between EMU and UNT.  It is a school that has traditionally struggled in football and sits in the middle of the Big Ten conference.  It's right down the road from two powerhouse programs in Michigan and Michigan State, but it shares a conference with two other G5 Michigan schools (Western Michigan University and Central Michigan University).

When EMU hired a new coach a few years ago, they took the UNT90 route and hired a winning coach who had been wildly successful in schools without many resources.  Chris Creighton had been a head coach at three different schools and was a winner at every stop:

• 32-9 at Ottawa (Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference)
  • 63-15 at Wabash (North Coast Athletic Conference)
  • 42-22 at Drake (Pioneer Football League)

His total career record prior to EMU was 137-46.  (He's a winner!)

Since arriving at EMU he has gone 3-21.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but since EMU came up and it is a school that shares many of UNT's struggles, I thought it was worth pointing out that they took an approach similar to what UNT90 has been campaigning and it hasn't worked out for them thus far.  Time will tell if he is able to turn it around, but this is one example of how prior winning records at schools with fewer resources don't guarantee winning records at a new school any more than hiring an up-and-coming first time head coach.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Not to nitpick, but 30.8K. 

Not to nitpick, but 30,850. 

You're not nitpicking. I guessed and asked a question at the same time. Thanks for the info.

Still wondering, how much of an SRO crowd would be allowed in the stadium. 

The original Fouts capacity was 20.5K. In 1980, the fire marshal shut off entry to the stadium when we reached 22.5K. for the $MU game.

• Upvote 1

There are many similarities that can be drawn between EMU and UNT.  It is a school that has traditionally struggled in football and sits in the middle of the Big Ten conference.  It's right down the road from two powerhouse programs in Michigan and Michigan State, but it shares a conference with two other G5 Michigan schools (Western Michigan University and Central Michigan University).

When EMU hired a new coach a few years ago, they took the UNT90 route and hired a winning coach who had been wildly successful in schools without many resources.  Chris Creighton had been a head coach at three different schools and was a winner at every stop:

• 32-9 at Ottawa (Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference)
  • 63-15 at Wabash (North Coast Athletic Conference)
  • 42-22 at Drake (Pioneer Football League)

His total career record prior to EMU was 137-46.  (He's a winner!)

Since arriving at EMU he has gone 3-21.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but since EMU came up and it is a school that shares many of UNT's struggles, I thought it was worth pointing out that they took an approach similar to what UNT90 has been campaigning and it hasn't worked out for them thus far.  Time will tell if he is able to turn it around, but this is one example of how prior winning records at schools with fewer resources don't guarantee winning records at a new school any more than hiring an up-and-coming first time head coach.

you know, it could just be that winning at EMU just isn't possible, even if they sit in the middle of a football crazy state. The other programs in the state and in the region may just have way too many advantages over them. I have no idea if they have a decent commitment to football from an administrative level, but it doesn't look like it from the outside.

Its one school that makes ours look pretty solid when it comes to football...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1