Graham Harrell Hired as OC (Official Release)

dmaxel

Littrell Makes First Staff Hires, Harrell And Filani Join NT

DENTON – North Texas head football coach Seth Littrell has announced his first hires to his coaching staff with the additions of Graham Harrell and Joel Filani. Harrell will serve as the offensive coordinator while Filani will be the wide receivers coach. Both come to North Texas from Washington State where Harrell was the outside receivers coach and Filani was an offensive quality control coach.

“I’m very excited with to have Graham and Joel join us here at North Texas,” North Texas head coach Seth Littrell said. “They are exactly the types of coaches that we are looking for and both are very familiar with Texas. We can’t wait to get them started.”

Harrell, who was a record setting Texas high school football quarterback at Ennis and in college at Texas Tech, spent two seasons at Washington State. He was promoted to outside receivers coach in 2015 and helped lead the Cougars to an 8-4 season and a berth in the Sun Bowl.

Harrell coached wide receiver Gabe Marks, who was a Pac-12 first-team all-conference selection in 2015. Marks led the conference in receptions, touchdown receptions and was second in receiving yards per game. He set a Washington State single season record with 14 receiving touchdowns. In addition to Marks, wide receiver Dom Williams received honorable mention honors after hauling in 73 catches for 997 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Washington State led the nation in passing offense in 2015, throwing for 397 yards per game.

As a player, Harrell was a record-setting quarterback at Texas Tech, from 2004-08, under then assistant coach Littrell, finishing his career with an NCAA-record 134 touchdown passes, the second-most career yards (15,793) in NCAA history and with the third-highest career passing average with 350.96 yards-per-game.  

As a junior, the Ennis, Texas native, was an All-Big-12 Conference second team selection and Gator Bowl MVP, finishing the year with a school-record 5,707 passing yards, the second-highest season total ever in the NCAA FBS ranks, to go along with his 48 touchdown passes.

In each of his three seasons as a starter, his passing yardage figures placed in the Top 25 all-time at the FBS level (21st in 2006 with 4,555 yards and sixth in 2008 with 5,111 yards). As a senior, Harrell was named AT&T's All-America Player of the Year, and was a First-Team All-American after leading the country with 5,111-passing yards while tossing 45 touchdowns and only nine interceptions.

Harrell spent the 2010 season in Canadian Football League before spending three seasons (2010-12) with the Green Bay Packers, earning a Super Bowl in ring in 2010.

Filani joins the Mean Green after spending one season with Washington State and two seasons as an offensive graduate assistant at Boise State. He was part of the Cougar offense that led the nation in passing offensive in 2015.

Filani played his collegiate career as a wide receiver under Leach at Texas Tech from 2003-06, earning first-team All-Big 12 honors in both 2005 and 2006. He caught 65 passes for 1,007 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior, and had 91 receptions for 1,300 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior.

He was selected in the sixth round by the Tennessee Titans in the 2007 National Football League Draft, and was also a member of the Minnesota Vikings, Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions, St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2007-09. Filani also played for the Chicago Rush of the Arena League in 2011.

read more:  http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121815aaa.html

These articles are so poorly written and full of grammatical errors :-( 

News announcements like these about hires that contain biographical information don't require high-level written prose--they're purely informational. Stylistically, perhaps the writer could have put a tiny bit more effort in transitions. It's also true that there are some grammatical "mistakes"  regarding syntax, namely comma splices and a run-on sentence or two. I put quotation marks on "mistakes" because while these are rule violations within contemporary consensus, sentence-structure rules like these evolve over time and are never fixed. Grammar is an evolving and rather arbitrary linguistic structure, and we shouldn't be so uptight about these syntactic rule violations unless they completely distort the original intended meaning of the sentence. Not sure what else you found but I did not read it in much depth. Also, I think this Athletic Department has proven to be lacking a bit in efficiency and competence. Thus, these type of issues are probably the least of the AD's concerns. We could probably stack up the list of embarrassments this AD surrounds itself around all day.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I was lost after the first sentence, but anything that is sent out from the athletic department/university is a reflection of the university.  It should read perfectly.

I am not sure what you mean by "perfectly" but I agree that it should read fluidly and concisely. Anything representing the university should be dealt with professionalism and competence but we already know the Athletic Department is vastly lacking in that department. 

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 4

I was lost after the first sentence, but anything that is sent out from the athletic department/university is a reflection of the university.  It should read perfectly.

And that happens when you hire a "part time", low cost "rent-a-writer".  It's probably done on a regular basis.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

News announcements like these about hires that contain biographical information don't require high-level written prose--they're purely informational. Stylistically, perhaps the writer could have put a tiny bit more effort in transitions. It's also true that there are some grammatical "mistakes"  regarding syntax, namely comma splices and a run-on sentence or two. I put quotation marks on "mistakes" because while these are rule violations within contemporary consensus, sentence-structure rules like these evolve over time and are never fixed. Grammar is an evolving and rather arbitrary linguistic structure, and we shouldn't be so uptight about these syntactic rule violations unless they completely distort the original intended meaning of the sentence. Not sure what else you found but I did not read it in much depth. Also, I think this Athletic Department has proven to be lacking a bit in efficiency and competence. Thus, these type of issues are probably the least of the AD's concerns. We could probably stack up the list of embarrassments this AD surrounds itself around all day.

How about a run-on paragraph? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

How about a run-on paragraph?  

Is that your way of saying you think the paragraph is too long and contains varying topics?  No such thing as an actual formal rule on "run-on" paragraphs. Longer paragraphs with varying topics within a paragraph were actually common in the past and now the consensus in English is progressively toward breaking them up. This is largely a question about what best serves the communication between writer and reader.  But thanks for the valuable input. Didn't know that my my post was being held to the same standard on gmg.com than that of an official press release representing the university. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2